Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Danny 'Little Red' Lopez ~ Career

I remember reading in the boxing magazines- I should point out that at that time I had a dozen Little Red posters on my wall- that they kept cutting the rounds short to save Kotey. Kotey's brother was a good fighter, too.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I remember reading in the boxing magazines- I should point out that at that time I had a dozen Little Red posters on my wall- that they kept cutting the rounds short to save Kotey. Kotey's brother was a good fighter, too.

That is 100% correct sir.

Round 11 ..... 2:30
    Round 12 ..... 2:25
    Round 13 ..... 2:10
    Round 14 ..... 2:20
    Round 15 ..... 2:30

According to Trainer - Teddy Bentham >

We knew that they we're playing 'shenanigans' with the Time Clock. But, who we're we
    going to complain to, the Ghanan Boxing Officials. That would have been futile.

They were part of the Ghana Military who were running the event.

And the '3' WBC Representatives were from Africa. They were supposed to be watching
    {over-seeing} everything, to keep it on the 'up-and-up'.

The only thing we knew, was that we we're going to get a 'relatively' fair decision if the
    bout went to the Scorecards, because we had '3' Neutral Officials.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fight! The time keeper needed an ass kicking but what the hell, both fighters profited from the short rounds and the right guy won.
    Did you run across anything about the referee making sure the right guy won? Did you run across any score cards?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Great fight! The time keeper needed an ass kicking but what the hell, both fighters profited from the short rounds and the right guy won.
    Did you run across anything about the referee making sure the right guy won? Did you run across any score cards?
    Here is what I have.

Referee - Harry Gibbs {United Kingdom} ........ {144-139} .. Danny Lopez

* David Kotey ...... 10 -10 -10- 10 - 9 ..... 9 -- 9 ---9 -- 9 - 10 ..... 8 - 9 ---9 - 9 -- 9 = {139}
    * Danny Lopez ...... 9 - 8 -- 9 - 9 - 10 .... 10 -10 - 10 - 10 - 9 .... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 = {144}
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge - Takeo Ugo {Japan} ........................... {145-138} .. Danny Lopez

* David Kotey ....... 10 -10 -10 -10 -9 ....... 9 - 9 - 9 -- 9 - 10 ..... 8 - 9 -- 8 -- 9 -- 9 = {138}
    * Danny Lopez ....... 9 - 9 - 9 -- 9 -10 ..... 10 -10 -10 -10 - 9 .... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 = {145}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge - Kevin Brady {Australia} ...................... {146-140} ... Danny Lopez

* David Kotey ...... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 ...... 9 - 9 -- 9 -- 9 --10 ..... 8 - 9 -- 9 -- 9 --9 = {140}
    * Danny Lopez ....... 9 - 9 - 9 -- 9 - 10 ..... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 .... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 = {146}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Associated Press .......... {146-139} for Danny Lopez

Note >

There was a 'communications black-out' for {40-Hours} in Ghana > from Saturday Night {November 6th}
    until late Monday, November 8th at 5:00 PM.

The wire was finally transmitted to the United States, and was reported late Monday, November 8th.

The results were posted in several Newspapers on Tuesday, November 9th.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-25-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Here is what I have.

Referee - Harry Gibbs {United Kingdom} ........ {144-139} .. Danny Lopez

* David Kotey ...... 10 -10 -10- 10 - 9 ..... 9 -- 9 ---9 -- 9 - 10 ..... 8 - 9 ---9 - 9 -- 9 = {139}
    * Danny Lopez ...... 9 - 8 -- 9 - 9 - 10 .... 10 -10 - 10 - 10 - 9 .... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 = {144}
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge - Takeo Ugo {Japan} ........................... {145-138} .. Danny Lopez

* David Kotey ....... 10 -10 -10 -10 -9 ....... 9 - 9 - 9 -- 9 - 10 ..... 8 - 9 -- 8 -- 9 -- 9 = {138}
    * Danny Lopez ....... 9 - 9 - 9 -- 9 -10 ..... 10 -10 -10 -10 - 9 .... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 = {145}

Judge - Kevin Brady {Australia} ...................... {146-140} ... Danny Lopez

* David Kotey ...... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 ...... 9 - 9 -- 9 -- 9 --10 ..... 8 - 9 -- 9 -- 9 --9 = {140}
    * Danny Lopez ....... 9 - 9 - 9 -- 9 - 10 ..... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 .... 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 = {146}

The Associated Press .......... {146-139} for Danny Lopez

Note >

There was a 'communications black-out' for {40-Hours} in Ghana > from Saturday Night {November 6th}
    until late Monday, November 8th at 5:00 PM.

The wire was finally transmitted to the United States, and was reported late Monday, November 8th.

The results were posted in several Newspapers on Tuesday, November 9th.
    ~ After The Bout ~

Danny Lopez went to Accra Hospital, for treatment of dehydration. Danny also had '4-Stitches' sewn
    on his left-eye eyebrow to seal the gash.

He also had a swollen right-eye, a swollen jaw and cuts inside his mouth. He had taken a beating in
    the Ring as well, despite his one-sided winning effort.

Danny had also damaged his right-hand, and that too was badly swollen and he was in some discomfort.

Danny spent Sunday in the hospital to recover, and for observation.

With the 'communications black-out' still in place, Danny could not contact home {United States} to let
    his family and friends know that he was all-right, and had won the WBC Featherweight Championship.

They even had the American Embassy try to make contact with the United Nations, but they too were
    'blocked' from transmitting any messages.

Finally, in the early evening on Monday, November 8th > the American Embassy got a hold of the
    Ghana Council, who then contacted the United Nations. They then contacted Daniel Kotey, who was
    David Kotey's brother. Daniel Kotey was a Ghanan Official at the United Nations.

They gave him the information that Danny Lopez had won the Championship in Ghana, and told him
    to contact Howie Steindler {Manager of Danny Lopez} who was home in Los Angeles, still recovering
    from a Heart Ailment.

Howie Steindler finally got the information on Monday Night {California time}, that his fighter had won
    the WBC Championship. Howie Steindler had been waiting for nearly 40-Hours to hear some news
    about Danny.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-25-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man! I used to think I was a boxing fan, now I'm finding out not so much. Thanks again for fleshing out these great boxing stories and the time and effort you put into them. That thanks is straight from the heart, sir.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man! I used to think I was a boxing fan, now I'm finding out not so much. Thanks again for fleshing out these great boxing stories and the time and effort you put into them. That thanks is straight from the heart, sir.
    Danny Lopez in Accra, Ghana

Monday, November 8, 1976

After his 1-day stay in the Accra Hospital, Danny was released Monday Afternoon, and went back
    to the Hotel.

He stayed inside his small room with his entourage of '3'. Danny, a Mormon prayed and stayed
    pretty much quiet. There was no celebrating in Accra, Ghana.

On Monday Night there was a Press Conference at the Ghana Sports Headquarters in downtown Accra,
    which Danny and Team {group} of 3 attended.

There, a 'bruised' Danny was asked if he would give David Kotey a rematch. The 'new' Champion said
    'Yes', and that there was a 'rematch clause' in the contract that he would honor.

Danny said that he was treated nicely by the Ghanan people, and would welcome a return to Accra, Ghana
    early next year {1977} after he rested, which he expected would be at least 2-to-3 Months.

Danny also added, that the bout with David Kotey was 'by far' the most brutal of his career, and he
    acknowledged that 'DK Poison' was the most courageous fighter he has ever seen.

Press Conference

Danny Lopez >
    "I hit your fighter with everything I had, and he still kept fighting back. He is the strongest fighter that I
    have ever fought. He has tremendous will and courage. I know that he will be ready for our next bout.
    He will want to take his Title back.

Lt. Col. Simpe-Asante {Ghana Boxing Director} >
    "We want to have the rematch here in Accra. Our fighter {David Kotey} will want to reclaim the Title here
    in front of his countrymen. We are prepared to have the 'new' Champion {Danny Lopez} sign the fight contract
    right now, as I have a 'certified' Government check for $80,000 right here in my briefcase."

Francis Clottley {Trainer for David Kotey} >
    "It was a great fight, and the Boxing Event was a major success. We will see Danny Lopez again next year,
    and I'm sure it will be another great battle between '2' warriors."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Champion - David Kotey

Was still in the Accra Hospital recovering from >
    * Dehydration
    * Exhaustion
    * Badly bruised face
    * Swollen Eyes
    * Cuts over both eyes .................. {20 Stitches}
    * Split on the bridge of his nose ... {1 Stitch}
    * Split lower-lip ........................... {17 Stitches}
    * Cuts inside his mouth
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-25-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday ~ November 13, 1976

'Little Red' Tells Of 'Secret' Featherweight Title In Ghana ~

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Saturday ~ November 13, 1976

'Little Red' Tells Of 'Secret' Featherweight Title In Ghana ~

The bout was supposed to start on Saturday Night {November 6th} at 8:00 PM, but the fight
    was pushed back to 1:00 AM early Sunday Morning de to an overflow crowd of 122,000 at the
    Accra Sports Stadium.

The 'communications black-out' was put in place at 11:00 PM Saturday Night, before the bout
    got started. It was not lifted until 40-Hours later, on Monday, November 8th at 3:00 PM.

After the bout, Danny was taken to the Accra Hospital at 3:00 AM to get his cut stitched up,
    and for a minimum 24-Hour observation.

Danny was in the Hospital all of Sunday, and was released late-morning on Monday {November 8th}
    at 11:00 AM.

Danny then went back to the Hotel, to rest and to try to get in touch with his Family and Manager -
    Howie Steindler back in the United States.

Danny could not get through after several of hours of trying. Finally, Danny and his 'entourage of 3'
    headed over to the American Embassy, so that they could help him get a Telephone Call or 'wire'
    out. They too had trouble.

Finally around 5:00 PM, they were able to get though to the Ghanan Consolate at the United Nations,
    who then contacted Danny Lopez' Manager {Howie Steindler} back in Los Angeles with the 'news'.

Danny and his Group then went over to the Ghanan Sports Headquarters, where there was a Press
    Conference scheduled for 7:00 PM

Soon therafter the Group headed back to the Hotel where they stayed, and rested Monday Night.

On Tuesday at 'Noon' {November 9th}, Danny Lopez, Trainer - Teddy Bentham, Cut-Man - Chickie Ferrera
    and Sparring-Partner - David Sotello boarded their flight for a 24-Hour Trip back to Los Angles, California.

They arrived back in the United States on Wednesday, November 10th > just as the Newspapers were
    printing the results of the bout held on late Saturday Night {4-Days earlier}.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-26-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

November 23, 1976

Howie Steindler {Manager for Danny Lopez}

We did sign a 'rematch clause' with David Kotey. We had to, to get the Championship Bout
    in the first place.

They have 90-Days to come up with an acceptable contract. I know they offered Danny an
    $80,000 Check at the 'after-fight' Press Conference.

But, I'm not 100% sure if we would go back to Accra, Ghana. We can have the bout right
    here at The Forum for the same fight purse.

We also have been talking to the Italian - Elio Cotena. He's the European Champion, and
    he has moved into the #1 WBC position now. He has 'one more' Title Defense lined for
    December 3rd. If he wins, we may make our 1st Title Defense against him, early next year.

We'll see what happens with David Kotey. But he was so battered and beat up on November 6th,
    I don't think he'd be ready for a fight in February 1977.

And Danny has some problems with his right-hand. We're not sure if it is a bad bone bruise, or
    bone-chips. We have been told by our Physician to rest it for 5-Weeks, and then we'll have
    it re-examined at the end of December.

After the examination, we will make a decision on which bout to go with.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-26-2015 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

January 23, 1977

~ Howie Steindler Has A World Champion At Last ~

According to reports >

The rematch with former Champion - David Kotey was in the works. But, the Kotey Camp had to get
    the contracts together by February 6, 1977 {90-days after their 1st bout}.

The Ghanan Promoters had put $80,000 on the table to Manager - Howie Steindler. But Howie wanted
    a few more bucks and {some assurances}, otherwise he would take Danny's '1st-Title' defense to Don Fraser
    and The Forum.

The other issue, was that David Kotey was still not ready for a bout, as he was still recovering from the
    beating he took on November 6, 1976 {2 1/2 Months earlier}.

Howie said, that if they could not work out negotiations, they would look elsewhere. This really got
    the Ghanan Promoters 'pissed off'.

WBC Ratings

*** Danny Lopez
    #1 . David Kotey
    #2 . Pedro Nino Jiminez .............. European Champion {from Spain}
    #3 . Rafael Ortega ...................... WBA Champion {from Panama}
    #4 . Art Hafey ............................ Canadian Champion
    #5 . Francisco Toro Coronado ...... Central American and Nicaraguan Champion
    #6 . Ernesto Herrera .................... #1 Mexican and #1 NABF Featherweight
    #7 . Jose Torres .......................... #2 Mexican and #2 NABF Featherweight
    #8 . Shuzo Yoshida ..................... Japanese Champion
    #9 . Elio Cotena .......................... Italian Champion
    #10. Vernon Sollas ....................... British Champion
    #11. Alfredo Pitalua
    #12. Salvador Torres .................. Mexican Featherweight Champion
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-26-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

February 5, 1977

Danny Lopez vs. David Kotey ~ 'The Rematch'

Daniel Kotey {Manager and Brother of former WBC Champion - David Kotey} exercised
    his 'option' for a rematch.

Daniel Kotey had until February 6, 1977 {Midnight} to have contracts signed and filed with
    the World Boxing Council.

But, Daniel Kotey asked the WBC for a 4-Week Delay, until March 9th to have the deposits
    ready.

David Kotey also stated that the Accra Sports Stadium was under minor repairs, and additional
    time would be required before staging the bout there.

Kotey said that April 30th would be the best time for the bout, as his
    brother {David} had just recovered from injuries sustained in the November 6th bout.

Howie Steindler protested, and said that he would start negotiations with The Forum for an
    April 9th date.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-26-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

March 1, 1977

~ 'Little Red' Lopez To Fight Soon ~

Manager - Howie Steindler has run into friction {tough negotiations} about having his fighter
    {Danny Lopez] make his '1st' WBC Featherweight Title-Defense in Accra, Ghana against former
    Champion - David Kotey.

Howie Steindler >
    I know what is best for my fighter, and if we defend against the African, it will be here at The Forum.

But first, Danny has been 'nursing' a bad right-hand. And we are planning a tune-up next week in
    Oklahoma City to test it out.

I'm still not sure if Danny will get the OK from the Doctor to fight. We have one more examination.

If all goes well, we will most likely make our 1st Title Defense on April 9th at The Forum against
    #6 WBC-ranked Ernesto Herrera.

Ernesto just won the Mexican Featherweight Championship {W Dec 12} over Salvador Torres
    on February 26th in Mexico.

After that bout, we will discuss the David Kotey rematch.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Friday ~ March 11, 1977

~ Howie Steindler, Shot and Murdered ~

~ Police Seek Clues In Death Of Colorful Boxing Figure ~

Howie Steindler, the colorful owner of the 'famous' Main Street Boxing Gym and Manager of
    WBC Featherweight Champion -Danny Lopez was found murdered yesterday.

Mr. Steindler was kidnapped from his home on Wednesday Night, and he was found dead in
    his car, a 1976 Cadillac on Thursday.

Related Issues >

Mr. Steindler had been involved with 'intense' negotiations with Ghanan Representatives
    regarding a rematch with former WBC Champion - David Kotey.

Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-27-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tuesday ~ April 5, 1977

~ 'Little Red' Is Down, But Not Out ~ {Part 1}

Back on November 6, 1976 > Danny Lopez landed a series of punches into the head of
    WBC Champion - David Kotey in Round 11, and then he knew he could win the Featherweight
    Championship.

But, 'Little Red' also damaged his right-hand in that bout, and has had problems with the hand
    ever since.

But the most important event in Danny's career {winning the WBC Featherweight Championship}
    has been put on the back-burner, as Danny's father-figure/Manager > Howie Steindler was found
    murdered last month {March 9, 1977}.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Lopez {Discussing his Championship winning effort} >

When I was introduced in the Ring, I did some squats and threw some punches at the canvas. The
    crowd and the David Kotey Camp laughed at me, like I was some kind of joke.

Then Kotey came out to Center-Ring and 'shadow-boxed' by throwing lighting-fast combinations
    towards my while I was in my corner.

His cornermen then said to me > "DK Poison is going to kill you in the 1st-Round. You will be dead."

Then David Kotey said that to me he was going to kill me in the 1st-Round.

In Round 1 > He came out fast, and really threw 'vicious' hard punches at my head. He was trying
    for a 1st-Round Knockout. But I kept my hands up, as he was smashing my arms. He surprised me,
    as he hit both fast and hard.

He did the same thing in Round 2, and he hurt me a couple of times. He 'staggered' me with a
    right-hand to the jaw, and the place {Accra Sports Stadium} went crazy.

He was still going fast {all out} in Rounds 3 and 4. But half-way through Round 5, he started to
    slow down. He was fighting at too fast of a pace.

Inside the Ring it was nearly 90* and the humidity was like a 'Steam-Bath' in there. The heat was
    really getting to him at the end of the 5th Round, and I could feel his strength getting sapped.

I started to get to him at the 'tail-end' of Round 5. And I shook him up pretty good in Round 6,
    and the 'tide-turned' in my favor.

I really had very good Rounds in the 7th, 8th and 9th. At the end of the 9th Round, we were pretty
    much 'All Even', but he was fading fast.

But he came back 'strong' in Round 10, and took the play away from me early. He got his 'second-wind',
    and he shook me up. He cut me under me left-eye, and opened up the small-cut over my left-eye.
    I wasn't badly hurt, be he did 'nail me' a few times with good punches.

He may have been up {1-Point} after his good effort in Round 10.

But I came back in the next Round {11th}. I caught him with a real good right-hand, and I could see
    in his eyes that he was hurt. I hit him with another right-hand to the jaw, and I could see both pain
    and fear in his eyes. A few punches later he was on the canvas taking a '9-Count'. Then I knew that I
    had a chance to win the Title.

Despite the knockdown in Round 11, coming out for Round 12 the bout was still close. Kotey came out
    blazing, and he threw punches from every angle. But after about a minute, he was 'arm-weary' and
    exhausted. He burned himself out. Then I had a 'big-rally' over the 2nd-Half of the Round, and took
    control.

In my corner before Round 13, they told me to just keep pressing and to throw straight punches.
    Just back him up and wear him down, but don't overwork. I did just that.

I hurt him again Round 13, and he really had the look of 'fear in his eyes'. All I had to do was keep
    fighting my fight, and I knew that I would win.

If that bout was fought anywhere else, they would have it stopped it. He took a frightful beating from
    me, especially over the last 5 Rounds.

The only way he survived, is because they cut the Round's short by at least 30-Seconds from the 11th
    Round on. They didn't want to see their Hero get knocked out in front of 122,000 Ghanan's.

In Round 13, they cut the Round '50-Seconds' short. I had him on the Ropes and he was hanging on.
    I hit him with a right-hand, and he was 'out' and sagging into the Ropes. I was 'one-punch' away
    from putting him through the Ropes and 'out-of-the-Ring'. Then the Bell rang early, and saved him.

When the fight was over, it was quiet in the Ring and the Accra Sports Stadium. It was kind of strange
    after a 'thrilling' Championship bout. I guess that they knew their Hero lost.

Then the Referee {Harry Gibbs} walked over to me and raised my hand. There was only some light
    applause, and that was it. They handed me the WBC Championship belt and a Trophy, and we walked
    out of the Ring with no cheering or fan-fare.

The only support I had there, was my Corner people {Teddy Bentham, Chickie Ferrera and David Sotello},
    and some U.S. Marines who were at Ringside behind my corner.

It was a strange quiet surrounding, as compared to all the noise at The Forum and Olympic Auditorium.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-29-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Thread Information