Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: SugarJ's World Boxing Rankings

TBH though Ward needs to be taken off, Kovalev is the heir apparent.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great work bud, top effort. Though his jump is fairly recent I cannot at all see Crawford below the number 1 spot at 140.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    TBH though Ward needs to be taken off, Kovalev is the heir apparent.
    Yeah Ward has been a frustration but he won his Championship in the ring under the required weight limit (according to commission rules a Light-Heavy can fight someone weighting a minimum of 161, 14 pounds lighter), so both the Rodriguez and Smith fights were defenses.

According to my policy at the time Champions had 18 months to schedule a fight in their division (this has since been amended to 15 months). The Smith fight was scheduled with the time frame. Thus far Ward has done everything within my rules to hold onto his Championship.

Also I know the Light-heavy linage is pretty messy but you could make a case that it leads back to Ward.

Michalczewski-Gonzalez-Erdei-Grachev-Rodriguez-Ward. Add to that he defeated Dawson under 175 pounds.

I consider Ward the rightful Light-Heavyweight Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Great work bud, top effort. Though his jump is fairly recent I cannot at all see Crawford below the number 1 spot at 140.
    The ratings are a reflection of what a fighter has done at that weight. So far Crawford has beaten Dulorme and Jean. His past credentials have been taken into account and are part of the reason he has moved into 5th at Super-Weltweight.

In saying that Provodnikov has not fought at 140 since April last year and his last two fights at 140 were losses, so a potential demotion is in the cards; meaning Crawford could advance another spot.

Matthysse was considered the #1 before the Postol fight and Herrera arguably defeated the previous Champion Garcia. Crawford will need to do a little more than beat fringe contenders to advance past those three.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand the logic to Ward but no way is he the best light heavyweight. Kov is and Stevenson is up there. Ward would not himself consider he is the best. I think this contract he has signed will lead to a fight with Kovalev so we will get a winner.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I understand the logic to Ward but no way is he the best light heavyweight. Kov is and Stevenson is up there. Ward would not himself consider he is the best. I think this contract he has signed will lead to a fight with Kovalev so we will get a winner.
    Many times throughout history to the present the Champion of a division has not necessarily been considered the best fighter in the division.

A few examples: Liston chasing Patterson, Hagler waiting for years, the color line draw by early Heavyweights.

Hopefully we get Ward vs Kovalev, so it will be the Champion vs the #1 contender.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tim Bradley looked renewed under Atlas.

Ratings updated:

https://boxranks.wordpress.com/2015/...november-2015/

HEAVYWEIGHT:

Number one Alexander Povetkin (30-1, 22 KOs) scored a dominant twelve round stoppage over unrated Mariusz Wach (31-2, 17 KOs) when the ref called a halt to the bout due cuts suffered by Wach. No changes.

CRUISERWEIGHT:

Number four Denis Lebedev (28-2, 21 KOs) stopped unrated Lateef Kayode (21-1, 16 KOs) in the eighth round. Ola Afolabi (22-4-4, 11 KOs) enters at ninth after knocking out last week’s number eight Rakhim Chakhiev (24-2, 18 KOs) in five rounds. Chakhiev exits. Dmitry Kudryashov (18-1, 18 KOs) formerly ninth also exits after being stopped in the second round of a shootout against unrated Olanrewaju Durodola (22-2, 20 KOs). Thabiso Mchunu (16-2, 10 KOs) returns to the ratings at tenth.

LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT:

Previous number three Bernard Hopkins (55-7-2, 32 KOs) exits due to inactivity. Everyone rated four through ten last time advances a spot each. Edwin Rodriguez (27-1, 18 KOs) enters at tenth.

SUPER-MIDDLEWEIGHT:

Previous number eight Robert Stieglitz (48-5-1, 28 KOs) exits as he intends to campaign as a Light-Heavyweight. Gilberto Ramirez (32-0, 24 KOs) and Anthony Dirrell (28-1-1, 22 KOs) move up to eighth and ninth respectively. Callum Smith (18-0, 13 KOs) enters at number ten after stopping fringe contender Rocky Fielding (21-1, 12 KOs) in the first round.

WELTERWEIGHT:

Number two Timothy Bradley (33-1-1, 13 KOs) stopped unrated veteran Brandon Rios (33-3-1, 24 KOs) in nine rounds. No changes.

SUPER-LIGHTWEIGHT:

Number three Ruslan Provodnikov (25-4, 18 KOs) scored a fourth round stoppage over unrated Jesus Alvarez Rodriguez (14-1, 11 KOs) in a Welterweight bout. No changes.

FEATHERWEIGHT:

Number two Vasyl Lomachenko (5-1, 3 KOs) looked superb with a ten round dominant stoppage over unrated Romulo Koasicha (25-5, 15 KOs). No changes.

MINIMUMWEIGHT:

Previous number six Oswaldo Novoa (14-6-2, 9 KOs) is removed due to inactivity at this weight. Everyone rated eight through ten last time advances a spot each. Simphiwe Khonco (15-5, 7 KOs) enters at number ten.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love your rankings..... tremendous job.
    But man, I cringe seeing Andre Ward's name up there.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

B hop is unofficially retired now?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Thank you very much. The support from you guys has been awesome.

The Ward thing has been the biggest talking point since I started publishing my ratings. For me he defeated the Champion under the weight limit. If Dawson had have won I would have awarded him both Championships as well because the fight took place within the weight limits of both divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    B hop is unofficially retired now?
    Not as far as I'm aware but he has been inactive for over a year and hasn't scheduled a bout at Light-heavy in that time.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lineal View Post

The Ward thing has been the biggest talking point since I started publishing my ratings. For me he defeated the Champion under the weight limit. If Dawson had have won I would have awarded him both Championships as well because the fight took place within the weight limits of both divisions.

I read he just relinquished his SMW belt (about time!), and will now concentrate on 175. Personally, I hope he just goes away. He's lost any good faith with me, being so crassly inactive over the last few years. I don't see how he's even relevant in boxing at this point. His wanting to fight someone like Rohan Murdock (??) on the Cotto-Canelo card (and betting rebuffed by the NSAC) doesn't help his case, either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lineal View Post

I read he just relinquished his SMW belt (about time!), and will now concentrate on 175. Personally, I hope he just goes away. He's lost any good faith with me, being so crassly inactive over the last few years. I don't see how he's even relevant in boxing at this point. His wanting to fight someone like Rohan Murdock (??) on the Cotto-Canelo card (and betting rebuffed by the NSAC) doesn't help his case, either.
    I'm not disagreeing with you but many see him as a tough fight for anyone around the weight. I was kind of wishing he was looking to make up for lost time but it doesn't seem that way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Edwin Rodriguez won a knockdown filled shootout.

Ratings updated:

HEAVYWEIGHT:

Number seven Bermane Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs) had to rise from a first round knockdown to win a ten round unanimous decision over unrated Derrick Rossy (30-11, 14 KOs). No changes.

LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT:

In a wild shootout, number ten light heavyweight Edwin Rodriguez (28-1, 19 KOs) scored a thrilling third round knockout over unrated Michael Seals (19-1, 14 KOs). Rodriguez dropped Seals in round one, and then Seals dropped him twice in the same round. Rodriguez came back to floor Seals again at the end of round two before knocking him out in the third. No changes.

SUPER-FEATHERWEIGHT:

Previous number ten Romain Jacob (23-1, 7 KOs) exits after being upset by previously unranked Juli Giner (18-1, 8 KOs). Stephen Smith (23-1, 13 KOs) enters in tenth position.

SUPER-BANTAMWEIGHT:

Number five Kiko Martinez (34-6, 25 KOs) won an eight round unanimous decision over journeyman Everth Briceno (35-13-2, 26 KOs). No changes.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the link to the Rodriguez v seals fight it was an absolute cracker.

Interesting kiko won and is still fighting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://boxranks.wordpress.com/2015/...onship-fights/

For the Middleweight Championship of the world!

Last edited by Lineal; 11-25-2015 at 07:29 AM. Reason: The Rigondeaux fight was a ten-round non title fight

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo wins the World Middleweight Championship

Ratings updated:

SUPER-MIDDLEWEIGHT:

Arthur Abraham (44-4, 29 KOs) won a close twelve round split decision over unrated former Middleweight title challenger Martin Murray (32-3-1, 15 KOs). Number eight Gilberto Ramirez (33-0, 24 KOs) won a ten round unanimous decision over unrated Gevorg Khatchikian (23-2, 11 KOs). No changes.

MIDDLEWEIGHT:

Number one Super-Welterweight Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) claimed the World Middleweight Championship with a twelve round unanimous decision over defending Champion Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs). Cotto slips to second. Everyone rated two through six last time drops one spot each to accommodate Alvarez’ ascent to the top of the division. Daniel Geale (31-4, 16 KOs) previously seventh exits as he intends to campaign at Super-Middleweight.

SUPER-WELTERWEIGHT:

Number one Super-Welterweight and new World Middleweight Champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) won a twelve round unanimous decision over defending Middleweight Champion and number four Super-Welterweight Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs). As both fighters weighed within two pounds of the division limit they are deemed as active at this weight. Both retain their rankings. No changes.

SUPER-LIGHTWEIGHT:

Previous number eight Jessie Vargas (26-1, 9 KOs) exits due to inactivity at this weight. Antonio Orozco (23-0, 15 KOs) and Humberto Soto (65-9-2, 35 KOs) advance a position each to eighth and ninth respectively. Eduard Troyanovsky (23-0, 20 KOs) enters at tenth.

SUPER-FEATHERWEIGHT:

Francisco Vargas (23-0-1, 17 KOs) advances from fourth to second after stoppage last week’s number two Takashi Miura (29-3-2, 22 KOs) in the ninth round. Miura falls to fourth.

SUPER-BANTAMWEIGHT:

Champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (16-0, 10 KOs) won an easy ten round unanimous decision over unrated Drian Francisco (28-4-1, 22 KOs) in a non-title fight. No changes.

BANTAMWEIGHT:

Previous number eight Randy Caballero (22-0, 13 KOs) exits due to inactivity. Rau’shee Warren (13-1, 4 KOs) moves up a spot from ninth to eighth. Rodrigo Guerrero (24-5-1, 16 KOs) also exits due to inactivity at this weight. Pungluang Sor Singyu (51-3, 35 KOs) comes aboard at number nine and Lee Haskins (32-3, 14 KOs) enters at number ten.

SUPER-FLYWEIGHT:

Number three Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (37-4-1, 34 KOs) stopped unrated Frans Damur Palue (12-11-2, 7 KOs) in three rounds. No changes.

LIGHT-FLYWEIGHT:

Number three Paipharob Kokietgym (32-0, 25 KOs) scored an eighth round stoppage over hapless Oscar Raknafa (12-12, 5 KOs). No changes.

Thread Information