Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotto vs. Canelo verbal deal reached (if Cotto beats Geale)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto vs. Canelo verbal deal reached (if Cotto beats Geale)

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    Cotto/Canelo winner/LOSER AVOIDS GGG sounds MOST LIKELY
    Had to fix your post bro.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Cotto/Canelo winner/LOSER AVOIDS GGG sounds MOST LIKELY
    Had to fix your post bro.
    No I think HBO would bully them into it, that's the whole reason Floyd left for Showtime.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No I think HBO would bully them into it
    Here's how that phone call would go.

HBO: Hello Miguel.

COTTO: Hola HBO.

HBO: We want to talk about you fighting GGG later on this...

COTTO: *CLICK*

HBO: ... Miguel? Miguel?

(Dial tone kicks in)

And if it's a face to face meeting with Cotto, they better have it on the ground floor because Cotto will jump out the window before he signs a contact to fight GGG.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hey, I've been on record as saying numerous times that I don't think Cotto is a true MW. Having said that, I've also been pretty vocal in support of Cotto in his negotiations with Canelo, using all the leverage he's got, and refusing to cave to Canelo's people's demands. Neither Cotto nor Canelo want to fight GGG... that much is clear. A fight between Cotto and Canelo would still be a major draw, regardless of the weight. Let's not also pretend Cotto is the first or only fighter to be playing these weight/ division games. Let's also not pretend that Cotto is the first or only fighter trying to maximize his compensation for a lifetime of wars. Between him and Canelo, there's only one who has earned the right to maximize his earnings toward the end of his career..... and it's not Canelo. So I'll continue defending some things, while not defending others.
    Ha! Fucking hilarious and pretty fucking sad trying to group them together. Alvarez has no problem saying he welcomes a fight again Golovkin. Cotto doesn't even dare say Golovkin's name and does his best to avoid any questions about fighting him.

Saul Alvarez: Yes no problem. If the fans want the fight they will get the fight. He's strong and would be a big challenge. He's in our plans for the future. First Cotto. Than Golovkin

Miguel Cotto: Cotto gonna fight who Cotto wants to fight. Cotto fighting the great Daniel Geale next. Cotto knows he need to be at the his best when facing an ATG like Geale. So he not worry about no one but future HOF Daniel Geale. If Triple G and Canelo want to fight Cotto they need to earn the right to fight Cotto. They need to fight each other 3 times to see who is most worthy. Than Cotto will do whats right. He will give former champion Sergio Martinez his rematch

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is Cotto demanding green M&Ms in his corner also Seriously if this is catchweight, again, and you are not going to fight in the divisions weight limits just drop the belt already. Its as simple as that. Its embarrassing its becomes a math quiz these days before it becomes an actual match up.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto/Canelo winner gets GGG sounds good, now if only Quillen or Lee would fight GGG to just set the stage for the super fight.
    What "super fight"? GGG fighting guys who have proven fuck all at 160 is a super fight? Is this really the mentality these days? I thought when Wards name comes up it's all about 160, but if a payday comes up suddenly 168 is okay or catchweight Kings are okay? That's fine. But people need to stop with that BS excuse about cleaning out 160 and say "GGG doesn't want to fight Ward". That double standard is why people are getting harsher on GGG. Nobody thinks he can't fight. People just see boxing fans talking out of both sides of their mouth and want some damn consistency.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that fighting the lowest weight you can make and "clearing out" those divisions is always the best option for fighters to choose. Once you go up its alot harder to come down again. GGG could go 168 but that's gonna be rougher. Ward hasn't fought in awhile he needs to prove he can still hit and hold like he used to.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Hey, I've been on record as saying numerous times that I don't think Cotto is a true MW. Having said that, I've also been pretty vocal in support of Cotto in his negotiations with Canelo, using all the leverage he's got, and refusing to cave to Canelo's people's demands. Neither Cotto nor Canelo want to fight GGG... that much is clear. A fight between Cotto and Canelo would still be a major draw, regardless of the weight. Let's not also pretend Cotto is the first or only fighter to be playing these weight/ division games. Let's also not pretend that Cotto is the first or only fighter trying to maximize his compensation for a lifetime of wars. Between him and Canelo, there's only one who has earned the right to maximize his earnings toward the end of his career..... and it's not Canelo. So I'll continue defending some things, while not defending others.
    Ha! Fucking hilarious and pretty fucking sad trying to group them together. Alvarez has no problem saying he welcomes a fight again Golovkin. Cotto doesn't even dare say Golovkin's name and does his best to avoid any questions about fighting him.

Saul Alvarez: Yes no problem. If the fans want the fight they will get the fight. He's strong and would be a big challenge. He's in our plans for the future. First Cotto. Than Golovkin

Miguel Cotto: Cotto gonna fight who Cotto wants to fight. Cotto fighting the great Daniel Geale next. Cotto knows he need to be at the his best when facing an ATG like Geale. So he not worry about no one but future HOF Daniel Geale. If Triple G and Canelo want to fight Cotto they need to earn the right to fight Cotto. They need to fight each other 3 times to see who is most worthy. Than Cotto will do whats right. He will give former champion Sergio Martinez his rematch
    I recall Canelo's answer being: "Yes, in the future, but not now.. " but close enough I think he could be pressured into it easier than Cotto would. Cotto's would try to make it his last fight in the contract with Roc Box and hope by that time someone managed to take the steam out of the GGG
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What bullshit. Cotto has been fighting at the top for a long time, has fought everyone you would ask of him. It took Canelo long enough to fight a genuine junior-middleweight and even now he's fighting them at a slight catchweight. I'm a massive fan of both fighters, but you're twisting your hatred on Puerto Rican fighters to have you misjudge a situation. Cotto will take the best money fight next, and that'll be Canelo.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post

What bullshit. Cotto has been fighting at the top for a long time, has fought everyone you would ask of him. It took Canelo long enough to fight a genuine junior-middleweight and even now he's fighting them at a slight catchweight. I'm a massive fan of both fighters, but you're twisting your hatred on Puerto Rican fighters to have you misjudge a situation. Cotto will take the best money fight next, and that'll be Canelo.

I'm glad someone else said... 'cause if I say it I'm just a hater. All true points, by the way.
    The majority of knowledgeable boxing fans know the score, and feel the same way.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's been the case twice already. And he still turned the fight down. You wanna call it hate. Everybody else calls it facts.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's been the case twice already. And he still turned the fight down. You wanna call it hate. Everybody else calls it facts.

You can repeat the same shit 100 times. It still doesn't make it true. I'll say this one more time. You say "twice". What a laugh. The first time, each fighter wanted different things. Neither budged. Cotto stuck to his guns and his plans, basically telling the upstart to "shove it". Cotto wanted to fight in June, as his custom lately, fighting around the time of the P.R. parade in NYC. Canelo wanted to fight in March. Cotto also wanted to go for the MW title, rather than fighting Canelo in a non-title fight. As I've said countless times before.... it is Cotto who calls the shots.... not the upstart. Kudos to Cotto for not caving to GDP and their coddled ginger-head. It IS hate, whereas everyone else just deals in facts.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can repeat the same shit 100 times. It still doesn't make it true. I'll say this one more time. You say "twice". What a laugh. The first time, each fighter wanted different things. Neither budged. Cotto stuck to his guns and his plans, basically telling the upstart to "shove it". Cotto wanted to fight in June, as his custom lately, fighting around the time of the P.R. parade in NYC. Canelo wanted to fight in March. Cotto also wanted to go for the MW title, rather than fighting Canelo in a non-title fight. As I've said countless times before.... it is Cotto who calls the shots.... not the upstart. Kudos to Cotto for not caving to GDP and their coddled ginger-head. It IS hate, whereas everyone else just deals in facts.
    Fact 1, Cotto was offered 10 million plus to fight Alvarez.
    Fact 2, Cotto takes 7 million to fight Sergio Martinez instead.
    Fact 3, Cotto is guaranteed 12 million to fight Alvarez in May.
    Fact 4, The Golovkin camp express interest in fighting Cotto
    Fact 5, Cotto doesn't sign to fight Alvarez and refuses to negotiate with Golovkin
    Fact 6, Cotto signs to face the mediocre, recently steamrolled Daniel Geale

Fake, wannabe boxing fans always confuse facts with hate.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto made the right fight against Sergio and now the Canelo fight is worth more.

GGG would rip Cotto and Canelo apart.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fact 1, Cotto was offered 10 million plus to fight Alvarez.
    Fact 2, Cotto takes 7 million to fight Sergio Martinez instead.
    Fact 3, Cotto is guaranteed 12 million to fight Alvarez in May.
    Fact 4, The Golovkin camp express interest in fighting Cotto
    Fact 5, Cotto doesn't sign to fight Alvarez and refuses to negotiate with Golovkin
    Fact 6, Cotto signs to face the mediocre, recently steamrolled Daniel Geale

Fake, wannabe boxing fans always confuse facts with hate.
    Cotto took the history making fight with Martinez, which turned out to be an exceptional business decision. He only turned it down the 2nd time because of his promotional situation. You're twisting facts again. Like I've said, I'm a huge fan of Canelo but lets not pretend he's even achieved anything on the level of Cotto. Also, I don't see Canelo negotiating with Golovkin, instead he fought the mediocre, steamrolled James Kirkland.
    Last edited by bzkfn; 05-31-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Thread Information