Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Sergey Kovalev vs. Bernard Hopkins: who will win?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • Kovalev by KO/TKO/RTD

10 32.26%
  • Kovalev by decision

7 22.58%
  • Hopkins by KO/TKO/RTD

2 6.45%
  • Hopkins by decision

12 38.71%
  • draw or no contest

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sergey Kovalev vs. Bernard Hopkins: who wins?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergey Kovalev vs. Bernard Hopkins: who wins?

What were the opening odds?

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    I think its going to be a close fight but if B hop can take Kovalevs power I don't see why he cant win this on points. Kovalev hasn't fought anybody on the level of Hopkins and Hopkins is a lot more experienced especially fighting championship level fights. Kovalev is use to blasting everybody out in the ring but when has B hop been close to being stopped? I cant remember off the top of my head that ever happening. Im pretty sure Kovalev hasn't even been past 10 rounds before?? Whos to say that hes going to be as good as he is at the start of the fight at the end? We don't know this at all and that's a fact because hes never seen the later rounds.

There is always the risk that Kovalev could blast Hopkins out like he has been doing to all of his fighters but I think B hop will be too clever to let that happen and could this frustrate Kovalev? Kovalev is a good boxer though, hes patient and the knockout happens from his heavy hands and he sets up his work nicely, hat's why I expect this to be a close fight. But B hop will need to do everything to take away Kovalevs danger punches and try and outbox
    Kovalev.

Im picking B hop in a close fight but his experience will be the deciding factor.
    I agree

All those guys saying Kovalev will blast Hopkins out, should keep quiet and are not to be taken seriously because they don't know boxing.

If this fight was made 15 years ago, then it's 70-30 fight in Hopkins favour

Hopkins ages makes it a 55-45 in Hopkins favour

O SURE - The odds makers will make Kovalev a strong favourite. But no-one can tell me that Kovalev brings a more awesome repuation and stronger credentials than Trindad or even Pavlik at the time, who were also thought of as huge punchers.

Not to mention top class fighters like Chad Dawson, Tarver, Winky Wright and I have not even mentioned...De-La Hoya

If I was Kovalev ear, I'd tell him "DON'T DO IT"

He little to gain and everything to lose. It's simple he has to DESTROY hopkins, he has to do what he did to Cleverly or knock him out, Pac Man Vs Hatton style

Anything other than that and Hopkins will come out the moral victor

And should he get beat (Which I think Kovalev will) then no fighter is every the same after Hopkins beats them

Then Hopkins retires A.S.A.P

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

He little to gain and everything to lose. It's simple he has to DESTROY hopkins, he has to do what he did to Cleverly or knock him out, Pac Man Vs Hatton style
    He has a huge amount to gain though, kovalev as far as I remember has 1 world title belt, hopkins has 2, if kovalev wins he will have 3(one will probably strip him for fun though), if he beats hopkins he has unified 3 of the belts, that's pretty major and if he can hold onto them and set up a fight with stevenson for all 4 belts that would be even bigger than it was going to be :S I think you are way off saying kovalev has nothing to gain.. Even if hopkins makes him look bad but kovalev gets the win he is still left with all those belts and can make some huge money.. You even said youself because of hopkins age it is a 55-45 fight in hopkins favour, that's a pretty good bet considering the rewards for kovalev :S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Post Re: Sergey Kovalev vs. Bernard Hopkins: who wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    I think its going to be a close fight but if B hop can take Kovalevs power I don't see why he cant win this on points. Kovalev hasn't fought anybody on the level of Hopkins and Hopkins is a lot more experienced especially fighting championship level fights. Kovalev is use to blasting everybody out in the ring but when has B hop been close to being stopped? I cant remember off the top of my head that ever happening. Im pretty sure Kovalev hasn't even been past 10 rounds before?? Whos to say that hes going to be as good as he is at the start of the fight at the end? We don't know this at all and that's a fact because hes never seen the later rounds.

There is always the risk that Kovalev could blast Hopkins out like he has been doing to all of his fighters but I think B hop will be too clever to let that happen and could this frustrate Kovalev? Kovalev is a good boxer though, hes patient and the knockout happens from his heavy hands and he sets up his work nicely, hat's why I expect this to be a close fight. But B hop will need to do everything to take away Kovalevs danger punches and try and outbox
    Kovalev.

Im picking B hop in a close fight but his experience will be the deciding factor.
    I agree

All those guys saying Kovalev will blast Hopkins out, should keep quiet and are not to be taken seriously because they don't know boxing.

If this fight was made 15 years ago, then it's 70-30 fight in Hopkins favour

O SURE - The odds makers will make Kovalev a strong favourite. But no-one can tell me that Kovalev brings a more awesome repuation and stronger credentials than Trindad or even Pavlik at the time, who were also thought of as huge punchers.

Not to mention top class fighters like Chad Dawson, Tarver, Winky Wright and I have not even mentioned...De-La Hoya

Anything other than that and Hopkins will come out the moral victor

And should he get beat (Which I think Kovalev will) then no fighter is every the same after Hopkins beats them

Then Hopkins retires A.S.A.P
    Wait a minute. I don't know anything about boxing and nobody takes me seriously because I think that kovalev beats bhop with ease? I'm offended

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kovalev should win, but if Hopkins can get through the first half, maybe something will happen to Kovalev. He is so used to stopping his opponents early, that it's hard to tell how he will look over the long haul against a mover like Hopkins. My feeling is that if Kovalev lands hard and early, Hopkins is going to be wondering why he isn't smoking a pipe and wearing slippers.

It's an intriguing fight and I am impressed and surprised that Hopkins is taking it. Props to the man.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I won't root against Hopkins and have been a fan since he was the snaggle tooth hooded assassin trying to behead people on USA and BET. But I think Kovalev is a dangerous mix of savvy power boxing and unshakable confidence that he has not faced in a very very long time. On physicality alone Hopkins will feel every bit 50 yrs old on heavy legs when he tries the inside wrestling and spinning out for one sniper right hand. Way too much is being pumped up about blasting out and raw power and frankly Kathy Duva needs to stfu. Kovalev doesn't need that false confidence garbage or to short change himself on boxing ability. Power isn't a thing unless you can deliver and set up against a mobile and multi geared guy. Kovalev does these subtle adjustments himself, half steps off double jabs to head-body and never neglects straight punches to the body. He doesn't need or want to load up or frankly aim for the head..just natural sapping type punch and flow to the body, chest and move a guy into position for capper. This isn't a one dimensional Cloud or a self doubting and reluctant Shumenov and equally Kovalev has never been in with the experience and battle plan round table of a boxing mind that is Hopkins, but at the end of the day and Hell freezing over I think Kovalev has what it takes to naturally wear him down with a harsh accumulative effect and capitalize in the exchange Hopkins will be forced into to survive and score a tko over a legend. I hate saying it, but I do believe it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kovalev within nine hop is special but I think kovalev himself is a special fighter n will prove it over time.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

He has a huge amount to gain though, kovalev as far as I remember has 1 world title belt, hopkins has 2, if kovalev wins he will have 3(one will probably strip him for fun though), if he beats hopkins he has unified 3 of the belts, that's pretty major and if he can hold onto them and set up a fight with stevenson for all 4 belts that would be even bigger than it was going to be :S I think you are way off saying kovalev has nothing to gain.. Even if hopkins makes him look bad but kovalev gets the win he is still left with all those belts and can make some huge money.. You even said youself because of hopkins age it is a 55-45 fight in hopkins favour, that's a pretty good bet considering the rewards for kovalev :S
    Maybe Kovalev wins

I mean, he does have, that pre-historic, neanderthal man look about him. Maybe he's just so rugged, and rough and hits harder than Hopkins has ever faced before ?

Can Hopkins still keep on beating off top class younger fighters after top class younger fighters ?

Maybe this is the fight that Hopkins finally gives way to mother nature and crumbles ?

Maybe Kovalev get's totally schooled and Hokpins is given his usual 'Don't ever doubt me. Don't ever under-estimate me. Sick and tired of proving myself to you guys" speech at the post fight interview.

These different scenario's could well happen and I take your point about that Kovalev does indeed have something to gain after I read your post.

As I say I'm 55-45 in Hopkins favour for this fight, but a large part of me wants Kovalev to win and win BIG AND EASY.

I don't know but is it good for boxing that a guy touching 50 can still whip the cream of the fighters out there ?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    It's one of two things. Hopkins sees something in Kovalev that he is confident he can exploit or he was forced to make the decision rather than vacate a title to accommodate Haymon. I have to think it's the former. I like Hopkins in this fight on the cards.

if Hopkins wins this ill be extremely impressed

sounds daft but before his last fight kovalev looked unstoppable, so composed and relaxed, stayed in range very well and wasted virtually nothing

And I know it was over quick last time but for the first time I though he looked beatable

nothing to do with the knock down
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhop WIDE decision.

El Kabong Guest

Kovalev will just demolish Hopkins (if he can catch him). Sergey can box as well as slug, he has power to do big damage to B-Hop. Hopkins is cagey as hell but so was Archie Moore, so was Joe Walcott and age catches up to everyone.

If Hopkins just lasts the distance he will have cemented his legacy as one of the greatest of all time. This is a very dangerous fight this is like Apollo Creed vs Ivan Drago...the wily old veteran vs the power punching phenom. Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Gennedy Golovkin wouldn't be this dangerous!

At this point although I'm no fan of Hopkins, I just hope he's safe in the ring. He's fought dangerous punchers before but age erodes skill and talent...does he have enough left?

My prediction Sergey Kovalev by TKO in 6

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First you have to stand in awe of this guy even if you hate the way he fights at this point in his career. I've said it before, this guy is a modern day Archie Moore. It just didn't take him 160 fights to get a title shot. If Hop has a role model its probably the Mongoose. I think he's shooting for the mans longevity record. Maybe tie it to the day and retire or break it. Which makes what he is attempting to do here even more incredible. He could easily sit back and defend his titles against others cruising past Moore but he does the opposite. There is something to be said about taking out the toughest guy in the room first. Applied street smarts. Kov is no rinse and repeat Pavlik. His own trainer has said on more then one occasions that at many times it is he who becomes the student.

Here's a 50 year old who already has more legacy then most fighters in history seeking more legacy in an era where most fighters are running away from it. You have to hand it to Bernard as he already got the first mental punch in by agreeing to the fight. There is a good chance that Hopkins could take him out of the fight in the lead up ending with the Vegas lights, crowd and Hopkins coming to the ring last. I think the mental angle is more important then skill sets at this point.

In the end I think this might be gold watch time for Bernard although I'd love to see him pull it out. I have no desire to see this guy sprawled out on the floor surrounded by medics or even soundly beaten by a guy that most likely would not have beaten even 5 years ago. Bernard does not pull the trigger enough and is starting to flinch with his reactions and stiffen up in exchanges. That comes with age and the loss of edge. I'd like to see Hop make it to the final bell and hope he does but I think he has punched that time clock for the last time unless he follows in Roy's footsteps.

El Kabong Guest

If B-Hop gets beat I just hope it's 1 punch and lights out rather than battered until the corner throws in the towel.

We saw Ali battered by Holmes, RJJ got both the 1 punch KO AND battered, we saw Tyson take some big beatings, we saw Holyfield take beatings

Boxing doesn't need a legend to go out in a bad way again...I'm not a Hopkins fan, but you can't doubt his greatness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins is the master of neutralizing his opponent's strengths.
    Master of analyzing his opponents way in advance, of coming in with the right gameplan, and a backup of his gameplan, and a backup of the backup.

He'll attempt to weather the storm for the 1st half as most of Kovalev's fights end within 4 rds, figuring Kovalev will start to tire after 7 rds.
    Early on, Hopkins will grab and hold him, try to rough him up inside with dirty tactics.

Hopkins always starts slow, and gradually increases his pace as the fight wears on, basically the opposite of what happens to most fighters as they slowly tire.

As they grow weaker, he appears to get stronger.

Then after the midway point, Hopkins will step back from holding him and start to box and potshot from long-range.

I think Hopkins stops him on cuts late in the fight, maybe rd 11.
    Kovalev's brows will be cut up and bloody, cheekbones swollen and bloody, cuts above the eye, swollen eyes, mostly from Hopkins dirty tactics but also from long-range boxing. When Kovalev retaliates with dirty tactics of his own, you'll see some acting out of Hopkins again.

Never bet against Bernard Hopkins.

Yep...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Kovalev's mind stays on track, then with his overall strength, potency and accuracy, I'd consider this is a stoppage loss for Hopkins.

I'm just not sure how big an 'if' this is.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information