Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24/7, they should retire it imo.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 24/7, they should retire it imo.

Wonder if it's a bit tired myself to be honest. Bilbo is right, the first 24/7 (which I have on DVD but have yet to watch in it's entirety, I think did a better rating then a new episode of Entourage did. It was great stuff and definitely drew in a broader audience. The problem with these past shows is that the raw personalities haven't been captivating enough, didn't work for it. Calzaghe and Jones maybe did but you were still watching 2 old men. Pac and DLH are both very humble and present themselves as professionally as you can. There are no antagonists in these new series. Hatton versus Floyd was great because you saw these two personalities that translated so naturally to making shit interesting on camera, this other stuff feels like an extended countdown. Not that I mind an extended countdown but HBO might lose it's faith in it if they don't chill out a little on it. Bring it back for a Cotto-Mayweather or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally think the shows are pretty good although i have to admit Calzaghe- Jones wasn't the best.

I haven't seen Pacquiao - DLH yet.

Mayweather - Hatton/Oscar were great though.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Can you imagine Max Kellerman/Jim Lampley moderating a show with guests like: Manny Steward, Freddy Roach, Bert Sugar, Larry Merchant, George Foreman, Lennox Lewis, Ray Leonard, Joe Frazier, Don King, Wlad, Vitali, Haye, etc etc etc. all talking about the upcoming events and pertanent issues in boxing it would be great for us.

I think it would be fun to watch...but as I said it'll never happen

I would love that idea, perhaps someone could do a professional looking webcast like that, since no way in hell it gets national TV airplay.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Moono View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    This show has been churned out so often now it's becoming tired and boring, it just feels like a extended advertisement rather than a great show. It's so formulaic, with the same guy doing the same voice overs, in exactly the same way, only with less and less interesting fighters.

This show worked when it started for two reasons, Floyd Mayweather JR and Uncle Roger. Love them or hate them they made for compelling viewing and the shows were interesting.

The Calzaghe Jones and so far the Oscar Manny shows are just so tedious I've forgotten them already. I can't think of a single memorable moment in any of them.

The problem is that the fight's they have been covering recently arn't compelling, they don't really mean anything and none of the fighters are remotely interesting.

I mean I love Joe inside the ring but outside of it's he's hardly an entertainer.

Manny just doesn't talk and I find Oscar so drearily dull I can feel my brain trying to escape my head when he talks.

I mean is anyone in the whole world even remotely interested in anything Oscar has to say? I don't give a fuck about his training methods, I don't care at all about his legacy and I couldn't care less about what his thoughts are in the run up to this fight.

Manny in the first episode I don't think even said a word to the camera, it was left to Freddie Roach to talk for him, and seriously just like Oscar havn't we heard Freddie enough?

I just hope that after this fight they will give it a rest.

The ONLY shows worth watching are those involving the Mayweathers and that's because all the other fighters have as much charisma as an airport lounge chair.

We no longer need to be taken behind the scenes and given a backroom pass to the training camps, as we've now seen it all before, with the same guy giving the same monotomous voiceover dialoge, it just doesn't grip me the way it used to.

there have only been a few 24/7s and I love this one.

The only boring one was jones vs calzaghe...that is probably what cause a bad taste and bias in your mind...dont lump the pacman vs oscar with that.
    Ah believe me this new one is worse. See I like Roy and I like Joe, they don't interest me much out of the ring but they don't offend me either.

But Oscar just makes my piss steam, he's such a narcissist and I just find him really annoying and really dull.

And Manny has decided not to take part in the show at all it seems and instead let Freddie do all the talking for him, which to me is annoying as he gets on my tits almost as much as Oscar

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This show has been churned out so often now it's becoming tired and boring, it just feels like a extended advertisement rather than a great show. It's so formulaic, with the same guy doing the same voice overs, in exactly the same way, only with less and less interesting fighters.

This show worked when it started for two reasons, Floyd Mayweather JR and Uncle Roger. Love them or hate them they made for compelling viewing and the shows were interesting.

The Calzaghe Jones and so far the Oscar Manny shows are just so tedious I've forgotten them already. I can't think of a single memorable moment in any of them.

The problem is that the fight's they have been covering recently arn't compelling, they don't really mean anything and none of the fighters are remotely interesting.

I mean I love Joe inside the ring but outside of it's he's hardly an entertainer.

Manny just doesn't talk and I find Oscar so drearily dull I can feel my brain trying to escape my head when he talks.

I mean is anyone in the whole world even remotely interested in anything Oscar has to say? I don't give a fuck about his training methods, I don't care at all about his legacy and I couldn't care less about what his thoughts are in the run up to this fight.

Manny in the first episode I don't think even said a word to the camera, it was left to Freddie Roach to talk for him, and seriously just like Oscar havn't we heard Freddie enough?

I just hope that after this fight they will give it a rest.

The ONLY shows worth watching are those involving the Mayweathers and that's because all the other fighters have as much charisma as an airport lounge chair.

We no longer need to be taken behind the scenes and given a backroom pass to the training camps, as we've now seen it all before, with the same guy giving the same monotomous voiceover dialoge, it just doesn't grip me the way it used to.

The only boring one was jones vs calzaghe...that is probably what cause a bad taste and bias in your mind...dont lump the pacman vs oscar with that.
    Ah believe me this new one is worse. See I like Roy and I like Joe, they don't interest me much out of the ring but they don't offend me either.

But Oscar just makes my piss steam, he's such a narcissist and I just find him really annoying and really dull.

And Manny has decided not to take part in the show at all it seems and instead let Freddie do all the talking for him, which to me is annoying as he gets on my tits almost as much as Oscar
    I agree that it has become somewhat repetitive. As much as I like Calzaghe, the Jones: Calzaghe 24/7 seemed to be a case of going through the motions. There was nothing that we didnt know already and there were no fresh angles.

The DLH: Pac first episode was tedious. Oscar seems like such a phony and every word he speaks sounds so cliched. Manny doesnt say a word and Roach seems to have become the official Pacman spokesperson.

It doesnt add anything to the fight for me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

I agree that it has become somewhat repetitive. As much as I like Calzaghe, the Jones: Calzaghe 24/7 seemed to be a case of going through the motions. There was nothing that we didnt know already and there were no fresh angles.

The DLH: Pac first episode was tedious. Oscar seems like such a phony and every word he speaks sounds so cliched. Manny doesnt say a word and Roach seems to have become the official Pacman spokesperson.

It doesnt add anything to the fight for me.
    Exactly and you can see Oscar really tries to be exciting or cool, for example him laying down getting electrical impulse therapy, as if we're supposed to think ' Wow cool, he's training like a machine, like Drago'

I think it's only going to get worse as well especially if Amir Kahn makes an appearance. I mean our American brothers will be laughing out of their assholes if we have to endure a Manny vs Khan sparring session next week with Freddie telling us that Amir's jab is better than Oscar's and he's the best sparring partner in the world for Manny or some other typical bullcrap that usually comes from the mouth of Freddie Roach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just rewatched ODLH/Mayweather 24 7. Wow, those shows were great. I busted out laughing when Mayweather was talking to the media and he was like "ODLH is boring on 24/7, nobody gives a shit about no god damn capuccinos and who the fuck cares about some punk ass dogs?" I also laughed when he was like "I'm getting that cash, I'm whopping they ass, god damn, that boy, he's living that flash." He's a loudmouth, but it's something different to watch and at least it's entertaining. That's what these guys don't understand. It's about entertainment. Sure, the fight is the most important by far, but the hype and entertainment is all a part of the spectacle to make the fight bigger. It's like foreplay.

I saw Pacquiao/ODLH on Sunday and quite honestly it doesn't even compare. Pacquiao's great and all but they spent three minutes showing him play American Idol or something. Pacquiao obviously is not gonna be a villian. There's seriously no drama whatsoever. ODLH is annoying as per usual. Mayweather was pretty much right, America unfortunately is built on controversy and money, these guys need to spice it up if they wanna sell this fight because isn't a fight the public really cared about to begin with. It would be different if it was like Trinidad - ODLH were the two guys were undefeated and the winner would be the undisputed champion. Pac-ODLH has no real reward for the winner outside of the money. So these guys better figure it out. Freddie Roach at least gets it.

Thread Information