Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Apollo Creed have beaten Drago in his prime?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Could Apollo Creed have beaten Drago in his prime?

Creed would dance his way around Drogo and puncture his face with a relentless series of jabs and straights. Drogo would cluelessly look for the big punch. JAmes Brown would sing "livin America" one more time.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Tommy stopped Razor Ruddock, Carl Williams, Joe Hipp, Pinklon Thomas, James Quick Tillis, and outboxed Big George.

Only 3 losses in 52 fights, Tommy's loss to unheralded Michael Bentt was a huge upset, but his other two losses were to Gold Medal winners:
    1. A prime Ray Mercer who Tommy beat the living $#!t out of for 4 rds until getting caught in the 5th. Mercer went on to fight both a prime Holyfield and a prime Lennox to a standstill, both fights were very close.
    2. the 2nd loss was to a prime Lennox Lewis who was The Man and the dominant Heavyweight for 8 years.

Tommy was a very good fighter in an outstanding era of Heavyweights.
    One of the quickest, devastating left hooks you'll ever see, the guy could really fight.

About a thousand pro Heavyweights worldwide, any Top 10 man is World-Class, and Tommy was good enough to consistently be a Top 4 guy, but just missing that little extra that makes a man the elite Top 3.

Nobody in the Rocky films is better than Tommy.
    Ain't no piddlin' 175 pounder like Antonio Tarver beatin' Tommy.
    What matters is reality, not P4P fiction, and reality is what happens when 2 men actually fight, and no piddlin' 175 pounder was gonna beat a 6'2" 227 lb Tommy.
    No former Toughman Champ like Mr. T, certainly no actors like Carl Weathers, 5'10" Stallone, nor a 6'4" Drago...

You forgot thunder lips.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh $#!t, I'm gettin' senile, Smokin' Joe made like a 20 second appearance too in the 1st one in 1976...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did remember Duran though and chose not to consider him, I mean c'mon, 5'7" Lightweight?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is a close call. I lost alot of respect for Apollo for blatently ducking Clubber Lang. Crazy foo!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prime Creed versus Drago, goes how the first 15 seconds of their fight went. Creed humiliates him!

Creed also beats Lang, Morrison, Kane, and Dixon, but not Thunderlip or Spider Rico!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I disagree, Apollo was overrated. He almost got beat by a no one from Philly.
    Yes, but was that PRIME Creed? I don't know. That was post success Holywood Creed. Same thing happened to Rocky in Rocky III after he beat Creed. He didn't have the Eye of the Tiger anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In answer to the question, the man of a thousand nicknames over the 'roided Roosky all day every day.

Drago was strong, but Creed in his prime was faster and craftier than Rocky was with far quicker hands. He would have stung Drago intially while Drago tried to 'break him'.

In fact, if the referee would have done his job, I don't know that Drago beats Creed anyway. The referee should have been banned for life from the sport after allowing a boxer to pick up a guy, throw him in the corner, and keep swinging. There is no excuse for that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    In answer to the question, the man of a thousand nicknames over the 'roided Roosky all day every day.

Drago was strong, but Creed in his prime was faster and craftier than Rocky was with far quicker hands. He would have stung Drago intially while Drago tried to 'break him'.

In fact, if the referee would have done his job, I don't know that Drago beats Creed anyway. The referee should have been banned for life from the sport after allowing a boxer to pick up a guy, throw him in the corner, and keep swinging. There is no excuse for that.
    Also Creed had excellent power too. He left us with career numbers of 48-1 (47)
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I disagree, Apollo was overrated. He almost got beat by a no one from Philly.
    Yes, but was that PRIME Creed? I don't know. That was post success Holywood Creed. Same thing happened to Rocky in Rocky III after he beat Creed. He didn't have the Eye of the Tiger anymore.
    nice, I was looking to use the eye of the tiger line but nothing came to me

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

He ducked Lang, and he was literally murdered by Drago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Apollo never ducked Clubber Lang, you guys better lay off the crackpipe.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Apollo never ducked Clubber Lang, you guys better lay off the crackpipe.
    Who fights a glorified sparring partner ??

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Rice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

He ducked Lang, and he was literally murdered by Drago.
    He was figuratively murdered by Drago in the ring, and died of his injuries. And I suspect Mr I Drago of 17 Red Square, Moscow, Russia, Soviet Union has a lawyer that will sue your ass, if you suggest anything other than a tragic accident occurred that night.

The then Soviet team did not realize what a 'exhibition' was. The fans should of been 'treated' to ten rounds of boxing with Creed being allowed to exhibit his showboating skills, which surely was what most fans paid for.

Once again boxing fans being forgotten about, let down and short changed, the ring walks lasting longer than the exhibition. When will the promoters ever learn!
    Last edited by Britkid; 08-07-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last edited by bradlee180; 08-07-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Thread Information