Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Snooker hits a new low..

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HattonTheHammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

wtf? 5 million he made already not good enough? Jesus christ you for real? He did it in pure greed the fat cunt, do you realise the knock on effect this will have on the sport sponsorship will be pulled tv deals gone, players lives ruined and careers possibly down the swanny, not saying this will happen but Snooker is already on the way out this could put a nail in the coffin.

You say he was looking out for his family? They guy is world number one and worth 5 million quid he is a fat greedy cunt who has fucked the sport over royally. This is one instance that was caught on camera how many other matches or frames has he thrown? He should be banned for life imo
    It really wont mate

Higgins is hardly a character that the sport has to mantain. If this was o`sullivan id probably be in agreement.......but higgins??

no chance
    Higgins aint a character, hahahaha he is the World Number 1 hahahaha 3 time world champ, it was front news of the national paper.

This is very very serious snooker is on it's arse as it is thats why Barry hearn was brought in, Snooker could be finished if BBC pulled the plug it's gave over.
    If BBC did pull the plug it would naturally go over to sky where it would be given the kind of radical makeover that darts has benefited from

There are plenty of ways to get snooker back to the masses and one start would be to introduce a 5red tournament ala:20twenty cricket
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's a big difference between Higgins saying he can throw a frame in some independent pisspot invitational tournament in Russia and throwing a game at the world championships.

Is he wrong? Yes. Has been caught out? Yes. Does he need to be punished? Yes. But there's no proof he's ever actually thrown a game.

The bookmakers are absolutely shithot on irregular betting patterns. That's the reason Burnett fucked himself missing sitters against Maguire. The bookies were already on his case before it started. They must have cleaned up with Davis beating Higgins, there were no mentions of huge losses.
    Last edited by Fenster; 05-04-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with Hammer I don't really see the big deal to be honest.

The general public only cares about snooker for one month a year, but for players it's their livelihoods all year around.

Take that guy who agreed to lose to Stephen McGuire 8-3. I doubt he makes fuck all from playing snooker, and to him it's a welcome wage top up.
    I expect loads of players are doing it, far from damaging the sport it's probably how the business model works, betting syndicates investing in the players and sport in order to profit from betting, it's win win.

Apart from outrage at how this has tarnished the sport, if nobody knew what exactly is the harm? Think about it before telling me I'm nuts, I mean really who has been hurt.

It's an offence but against who? The bookies? Fuck who cares about them, they make their money fleecing people.

All of the sports like snooker, darts, greyhounds, horse racing etc are sports just synonymous with betting and that lifestyle.

There is nothing sacrosanct or virtuous about puttings balls in holes on a beize table it's just a pointless activity really and these guys are just trying to make a bit of extra money on the side. After all having to win your wage is hardly a secure career model.

John Higgins has obviously dug a hole for himself but I hope he gets away with it.

When Bruce Grobbelar and John Fashanu were exposed for corruption nobody made ridiculous pronouncements that it would kill the sport of football, of course it wouldn't.

All this has done is get more people talking about snooker, all publicity is good publicity as they say.

For me the real immorality is on the part of the News of the World who once again sets somebody up so they can profit financially from the resulting fall out.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo that post is pathetic.

It's OK for punters to be conned?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Mate isn't gambling in itself immoral?

All I'm saying is worse things happen and I expect there are a lot of snooker players below the elite level who are involved in the odd betting fix in order to finance their sporting career.

It might be wrong, but I don't really see the harm, and I certainly don't feel sorry for bookies or punters, as they say gambling is a mugs game.

When I see how much my nan wastes on the lottery each week I think the government is more corrupt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

care to point out what part of that post is "pathetic"??

that big B to the top left when your writing a post is there for a reason

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

care to point out what part of that post is "pathetic"??

that big B to the top left when your writing a post is there for a reason
    People are outraged but the reality is that it's a victimless crime. It's probably good for the sport in all actuality, a lot of players able to play the game they love who otherwise would have to get a regular job and increased sponsorship and stuff coming into the game.

It reminds me of the fucking animal do gooders who break into laboratories and zoos and free the animals, only for them all to either die because they don't know how to look after themselves or else fuck up the local eco stystem by eating the wildlife.

To go back to my old sociology study days, the snooker fixing like prostitution and other dubious kinds of arrangements exist because they are functionally necessary.

To interfere with it just fucks up the system, and will force a lot of low earning players to quit and the game to go into a decline.

Ironically it wouldn't be the cheating players who are causing the death of the game but the actual fucking moral brigade bent on reforming it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

All I'm saying is worse things happen and I expect there are a lot of snooker players below the elite level who are involved in the odd betting fix in order to finance their sporting career.

It might be wrong, but I don't really see the harm, and I certainly don't feel sorry for bookies or punters, as they say gambling is a mugs game.

When I see how much my nan wastes on the lottery each week I think the government is more corrupt.
    Immoral? If you're a bible basher I guess

So you would be fine with fixed sports matches happening as long as you didn't know?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Victimless crime if you don't give a shit about the millions of fans and punters

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Immoral? If you're a bible basher I guess

So you would be fine with fixed sports matches happening as long as you didn't know?
    It's not major sporting matches being fixed though, it's just minor events during the non championship season that nobody cares about.

There is corruption in every sport, in every business, in every institution. Often as I said in my last post, it's functionally necessary.

Functionalism is the dominant socioloigical macro model of viewing society and argues that everything that exists, even crime is good for society and exists because it serves a basic need.

It's just part of the business model associated with the sport.

It's not really good, bad, evil or righteous, it just is. It exists because it needs to.

But of course the ignorant moral brigade will run with it and have a field day.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Victimless crime if you don't give a shit about the millions of fans and punters

Who were the millions of fans who lost out by that Stephen McGuire game where won 8-3?

Apart from the world championships hardly anybody watches snooker. But these guys want to earn a living all year around.

Punters should know that betting is rigged, it's a mugs game and always has been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not one single snooker fan will ever lose sleep over john higgins taking the odd bribe to fix ONE FRAME A MATCH, he`ll still win the contest outright anyway

If i found out robert green had allowed 20 or so goals to go past him because of a bung id be livid, but if i found out he gave a corner away in the 74th minute while we were 3-0 up i really couldnt give a shit and wish him luck for it!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not one single snooker fan will ever lose sleep over john higgins taking the odd bribe to fix ONE FRAME A MATCH, he`ll still win the contest outright anyway

If i found out robert green had allowed 20 or so goals to go past him because of a bung id be livid, but if i found out he gave a corner away in the 74th minute while we were 3-0 up i really couldnt give a shit and wish him luck for it!!
    Yeah that is a good analogy.

Obviously the big events don't get rigged, its far too high profile and risky. They just focus on the odd low key event or even just an odd frame within the match.

It really IS a victimless crime, and if people are stupid enough to bet their hard earned money on the fate of the roll of the balls then fuck them quite honestly.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's only a mugs game if you don't understand it.

Major bookies don't even price up minor events let alone take huge liability bets on them. The Burnett-Maguire match was live on the BBC at the UK championships.

Millions of fans are not bothered by corruption in sport

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munkymagic View Post
    He is using the old "i was afraid for my life so just went along with it" excuse

Fair play to the lad i'd use that one too.
    Brilliant line!

Can't really respond to that one.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information