950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams v. Sergio Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    It's a decent fight. I see Williams winning a decision, but Martinez might well make it tougher than expected.
    This is a tougher fight than Pavlik IMO. Martinez is quick, he's got very underrated power(he clocked Cintron and Kermit thought he got headbutted), and he's got very good defense...meanwhile Pavlik is just 1 sided.

I really hope Williams comes through this fight with ease, but I think he's in for a LONG night and he's going to have to bring his 'A game'
    Yes, he's very tricky with a lot more to his game than Pavlik who pretty much comes plodding forward with the same 1-2 every time. I just see Williams throwing too much and being too awkward himself. Either way, it should be fun. Looking forward to this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a decent fight. I see Williams winning a decision, but Martinez might well make it tougher than expected.
    This is a tougher fight than Pavlik IMO. Martinez is quick, he's got very underrated power(he clocked Cintron and Kermit thought he got headbutted), and he's got very good defense...meanwhile Pavlik is just 1 sided.

I really hope Williams comes through this fight with ease, but I think he's in for a LONG night and he's going to have to bring his 'A game'
    Yes, he's very tricky with a lot more to his game than Pavlik who pretty much comes plodding forward with the same 1-2 every time. I just see Williams throwing too much and being too awkward himself. Either way, it should be fun. Looking forward to this one.

martinez`s best attribute is his output but williams outnumbers on that.

PW will have the reach the power and will throw the far more precise punches.

Martinez has slightly more than a punchers chance but his only real option is to do exactly what quintana did and completely mess up williams game plan and give him no room all fight long!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

martinez`s best attribute is his output but williams outnumbers on that.

PW will have the reach the power and will throw the far more precise punches.

Martinez has slightly more than a punchers chance but his only real option is to do exactly what quintana did and completely mess up williams game plan and give him no room all fight long!
    Um, have you seen Martinez fight before?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Am I the only one who will now not buy Williams' crap about having to come out of his weight-class?

I don't think he's been able to make 147 for well over a year & for me this proves it. They made out they were having to feed him multiple meals a day to fight at Middleweight, well that's clearly not the case if he says he can't come down to fight Martinez at 154, where for me it would really matter that bit more as I consider them the best 2 LMWs around.

As for the fight, I think PW is more used to the weight, so will beat Martinez up to a competitive but clear decision (117-111, 116-112) something like that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Am I the only one who will now not buy Williams' crap about having to come out of his weight-class?

I don't think he's been able to make 147 for well over a year & for me this proves it. They made out they were having to feed him multiple meals a day to fight at Middleweight, well that's clearly not the case if he says he can't come down to fight Martinez at 154, where for me it would really matter that bit more as I consider them the best 2 LMWs around.

As for the fight, I think PW is more used to the weight, so will beat Martinez up to a competitive but clear decision (117-111, 116-112) something like that.
    Jaz, I don't disagree with your prediction or your opinion on Williams and his weight. What reason is there to fight Martinez at 160 if he can make 154 other than for a size advantage? Clearly 154 is where Martinez is most effective. Martinez started his career at 147, but has fought the remainder of it almost entirely at 154. His first real fight at 160 against Paul Williams? That to me doesn't sound like a recipe for a win. His belts aren't on the line and this fight is just a chance to get into the spotlight, but it is still a dangerous fight. I like Martinez and Williams. I guess a loss hurts Williams more because he has this aura of invincibility and a loss for Martinez can be chopped to fighting at the wrong weight.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    ...he must have spaced and started talking about Ricky Hatton.

Martinez's best trait is his defense/movement, he's slick and awkward at the same time. And I think I speak for everyone when I say this but it is NEVER good for 2 southpaws to fight each other, at least for the fans

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    ...he must have spaced and started talking about Ricky Hatton.

Martinez's best trait is his defense/movement, he's slick and awkward at the same time. And I think I speak for everyone when I say this but it is NEVER good for 2 southpaws to fight each other, at least for the fans
    I think with Williams output, Martinez is going to have to move double time, which I think he's capable of, this should turn out to be a much more entertaining fight than you would expect from a typical lefty to lefty showdown.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jaz Williams has been training for nearly a yaer with the knowledge that he was eventually being angled for a fight with Pavlik at 160. A month out it's too late to expect him to make things more difficult by going to 154 or even 147.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default paul williams vs sergio martinez?

in my opinion i think williams is gona walk away the winner.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: paul williams vs sergio martinez?

When is this fight happening?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post

DEC 5TH ON HBO

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nyc champ View Post

DEC 5TH ON HBO
    Good, just round the corner. Iv'e only seen Martinez fight once but he struck me as a very decent fight. Obviously Williams is a step above 'very decent' but who knows, Williams might switch off?
    Might be a little under motivated after the Pavlik fight fell through?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MArtinez will be a tough fight, the dude is part of the upper part of the pyramid. Best last minute picked up opponent.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nyc champ View Post

DEC 5TH ON HBO
    Good, just round the corner. Iv'e only seen Martinez fight once but he struck me as a very decent fight. Obviously Williams is a step above 'very decent' but who knows, Williams might switch off?
    Might be a little under motivated after the Pavlik fight fell through?

YEA I WUS THINKIN THAT TOO, WILLIAMS BEEN FEENING FOR A BIG MONEY FIGHT
    Last edited by nyc champ; 11-30-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think williams wins this one going away. martinez is going to make it close for a few rounds but williams is just too good and big. the only way martinez wins is by ko'ing williams and this ain't going to happen. williams has a very solid chin and martinez isn't known for his power. williams by comfortable UD or late TKO.

Thread Information