Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Floyds and Ricky's performances?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thoughts on Floyds and Ricky's performances?

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    I might need to go back and watch it again, as I had Ricky doing better than you guys. I was so amped though I might have missed things. I thought Ricky's footwork and ability to make Floyd miss were pretty damn good, at least like you guys said, in the early rounds. I didn't give credit enough to Ricky for being that fast and he sure popped Floyd with that left when he came in using that footwork; I haven't seen many people be able to hit Floyd like that.
    Obviously Hatton didn't get to be a monster to the body. Without sounding like sour grapes, Cortez broke Hatton off Floyd from round one on everytime he even got in on Floyd; nenver even gave Ricky and Floyd a chance to fight out of it. I thought it was b.s. how fast he would pull them apart. But hey, you always have to have a plan B. I actually thought Hatton was doing a good job on the outside with that straight left, early on at least.
    I really thought Floyd looked uncomfortable with all that pressure, but Floyd is Floyd and even if Hatton was allowed to play his game, I thought it would go to Floyd anyways. I predicted a 7th or 8th round tko or ko, so I was happy with Ricky going that far. Something I did notice was at the beginning of each round, Ricky would come out in a blaze, but use his footwork and work his way in smartly, but then he would become frustrated and start walking straight in, and he would eat some left hooks, but mostly get his neck whiplashed by straight rights, and seemed to want to prove to Floyd he could take them. Bad idea.
    All the credit to Floyd, as the longer a fight goes, the more he'll frustrate someone and figure out what needs to be done. The speed and straight right killed last night, and that paralyzing left hook from that angle was poetic. I give Ricky alot of credit, as he did much better than I thought, and brought that fight, and it was exciting for me. I think even though he went out badly, even Floyd seemed to give Hatton much respect; hell he even kissed him. Floyd sure acts like a c#ck before a fight, but he sure is respectful after, and I was surprised he treated Ricky so kindly.
    Ricky was just out of his league, which I figured he would be, but he is a game little guy, you gotta give him that. Sorry for the long post; this sites server still sems f#cked up and I'm not going to post much until it's fixed, so I figured I'd ramble out my unwanted opinion. Hopefully someone will put up a link so I can watch it again and maybe with a clearer head.
    The last I checked it was "Boxing" not MMA. There is no room for holding in Boxing. Unfortunately for most Hatton fans they have become accustomed to this tactic because the refs allowed this illegal tactic in a majority of Hatton's fights to continue and continue and cont..you get my point. Hatton was forced to fight/box not roughhouse and he was dealt with expectedly. This did not come as a shock to me. The only shock was that it went past 6 rds. PBF is the greatest fighter of this generation and arguably of all time. He makes really good fighters look questionable (Zab Judah) and good fighters look aweful (Gatti anyone). But until he knocks out everyone under the sun people will continue to pull names out of their a** with hope to see PBF fall..Cotto, Margerito, Cintron? etc....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What happened to Ricky's body punching?

To me this is the biggest thing missing from Rickys fight

He was connecting well with head shots, he was fit and hustling

But normally its the body shots he uses to wear down the opponent and slow them down

Last night I only saw 1 solid body shot - my question is why didnt he get more off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    And excellent points Oggie,Floyd showed how cool and calm he can be under intense but totally sloppy and uneducated pressure. Hatton was trying to rough him up,Floyd gave it right back.Hatton's game plan went out of the window. I mean for what happened to the head movement and the body punches? I'm sorry to you Hatton fans,he has my respect for the balls he showed,but he looked horrible overall. The 1 thing I was backing him to do more than ANYONE who has fought Floyd is go to the body and do it well.
    Cheers man.
    Hatton was just barging into Floyd every time. He needed to push Floyd up to the ropes and take a step back and at least try to land some telling body shots. His tactics of pressing up against him and holding and hitting where never going to trouble someone like Mayweather, you need to really punish the body to slow someone down. Ricky just didn't do that last night!
    The commentators were going on about how uncomfortable he was making Floyd by pressuring like that, but really, Floyd didn't look bothered by it at all. He seemed perfectly happy to let the fight go like that for the opening rounds before he opened up when Hatton's pace slowed.
    I reckon Cotto vs. Mayweather would be interesting... Cotto can rip the body as good as anyone and has a ton of power at welterweight. His speed is very good too!
    The only way I can see someone beating Mayweather is to pressure him, but try to stay within mid-range and hit him before he has a chance to get himself off the ropes. Too close and you get no leverage, too distant and his speed and reflexes will kill you. Lots of head/upper body movement is vital too and if someone could bob and weave like Tyson used to, it could cause him problems. Cotto probably has the best shot at pulling it off, but I'll never bet against Floyd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cpcompany
    I often score fights when watching them and but this time I was really desperate for Hatton to win so I was more of a Hatton fan than a boxing fan tonight and didnt score the fight. I probably had Mayweather 3 or 4 points up, and i think the 8th round was a 10-8 round for Mayweather.
    The ref probably affected Hattons gameplan a little bit as he was pulling them apart as soon as they got near each other. But, i am realistic enough to admit it probably wasnt significant enough to have much of an affect towards the final outcome. But, i do think it made Hatton more anxious and he was charging in at Mayweather and became a bit predictable. At the beginning of the fight he was doing well, but he was comning in straight ahead without trying to be elusive from about the 7th round. And hatton wasnt throwing enough punches once he got close to Mayweather.
    It was a truly sad sight to see hatton, Ko`d and I didnt expect it to happen, but the first knockdown punch was short, hard and outrageously fast.
    I have been a major critic of mayweathers personality, but it`s impossible to deny his awesome talent.
    CC,good posting.

Quote Originally Posted by bornlivelife
    What happened to Ricky's body punching?

To me this is the biggest thing missing from Rickys fight

He was connecting well with head shots, he was fit and hustling

But normally its the body shots he uses to wear down the opponent and slow them down

Last night I only saw 1 solid body shot - my question is why didnt he get more off?
    CC,I've been going on about this too but it's like,body punching is Hatton's biggest weapon and he forgot it. People keep going on about how quick his feet were etc,but so what? How did it help? He was still not judging the distance correctly thus smothering like 99% of his work. I only recall 1 good bodyshot from him too,in fact,I thought Mayweather threw more body punches!

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie
    And excellent points Oggie,Floyd showed how cool and calm he can be under intense but totally sloppy and uneducated pressure. Hatton was trying to rough him up,Floyd gave it right back.Hatton's game plan went out of the window. I mean for what happened to the head movement and the body punches? I'm sorry to you Hatton fans,he has my respect for the balls he showed,but he looked horrible overall. The 1 thing I was backing him to do more than ANYONE who has fought Floyd is go to the body and do it well.
    Cheers man.
    Hatton was just barging into Floyd every time. He needed to push Floyd up to the ropes and take a step back and at least try to land some telling body shots. His tactics of pressing up against him and holding and hitting where never going to trouble someone like Mayweather, you need to really punish the body to slow someone down. Ricky just didn't do that last night!
    The commentators were going on about how uncomfortable he was making Floyd by pressuring like that, but really, Floyd didn't look bothered by it at all. He seemed perfectly happy to let the fight go like that for the opening rounds before he opened up when Hatton's pace slowed.
    I reckon Cotto vs. Mayweather would be interesting... Cotto can rip the body as good as anyone and has a ton of power at welterweight. His speed is very good too!
    The only way I can see someone beating Mayweather is to pressure him, but try to stay within mid-range and hit him before he has a chance to get himself off the ropes. Too close and you get no leverage, too distant and his speed and reflexes will kill you. Lots of head/upper body movement is vital too and if someone could bob and weave like Tyson used to, it could cause him problems. Cotto probably has the best shot at pulling it off, but I'll never bet against Floyd.
    CC,agreed on all points. Cotto is the one who will give Mayweather problems,with his power,jabs and body work but I would choose Mayweather UD(that's thinking with my brain,my heart says Miguel stops him in 10). Hatton was lunging in. I don't think Cotto would smother his work like that. Either way,it would be a tremendous fight to see,Floyd has yet to face someone with huge natural WW power,nor someone with a good jab.We know Cotto won't abandon it even facing adversity.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never gave Hatton a hope in hells chance so the fight went pretty much how I expected.

Floyd was Floyd. Not just in the fight but throughout the entire build-up. It was Ricky that changed.

The only chance Hatton ever had against Mayweather is if you - Roll the clock back a few years, make the fight at 140 and stick it on at the MEN in Manchester.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Cortez was a little quick to break them initially, but the way they were tying up - often with headlocks and such - weren't the kind of clinch you can easily fight out of, and there's not much to do but break and reset. I was glad that Cortez backed off a bit later on. And it didn't take him long to make that adjustment.

Obviously the infight was going to be key, especially for Hatton to have any chance at all.

The feed I watched was a bit choppy, so I really missed too much of the fight. Was glad to see Floyd meet Hatton's gameplan and out-box him even on the inside, though. But I couldn't always tell who was scoring better.

Quantity vs quality - quality wins to the point of generating more quantity. Hatton got outboxed, but he also got out-Hattoned. Nevermind that he was the one charging forward most of the time - it's what happened when they got toe to toe. Way to go, Floyd. And a KO on top of it.

With the choppy feed, the fight looked sloppy to me. I'll be glad to see it again with a better view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Hatton performed well enough....I think he got a bit overzelous at times, he needed to control his aggression just a bit more but easier said then done though....If he took a step back every now and then while Floyd was on the ropes instead of wrestling IMO he would have been more effective....He was out gunned to a point...Floyd was a bit bigger then him...Hatton slowed down a bit more due to getting over anxious then anything....If Hatton was able to keep a bit more composed he would have done some majore damage and avoided some of those clinches against the ropes.without letting Floyd off the ropes.....

All in all he has nothing to be ashamed of and it was a great learning experience....he will bounce back a pick up where he left off

Floyd looked bad last night...I feel the PBF followers swarming me already ......But let me explain myself...

Floyd did not like the relentless pressure in the outset of the fight....he was uncomfortable It took pretty much 7 rds for him to adjust....Contrary to what was said last night Floyd can not "Fight"....Floyd can box....If ODH used the exact method Hatton did last night he would have stopped Floyd...I know BULL ***....But ODH is much stronger then Hatton and Floyd would (or anyone for that matter) not be able to take it on the ropes against a strong fighter like that.....even if he was blocking punches....I said before and stand by it....Hit him in the arms, shoulders anywhere,,,after 2 rds he wont have those hands up as much...

Floyd had a good win but Impressive I can't really say so....a genuine 147lb fighter with some patience doing the exact same thing Hatton did last night would have been sucessful...call me crazy but...
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    I never gave Hatton a hope in hells chance so the fight went pretty much how I expected.

Floyd was Floyd. Not just in the fight but throughout the entire build-up. It was Ricky that changed.

The only chance Hatton ever had against Mayweather is if you - Roll the clock back a few years, make the fight at 140 and stick it on at the MEN in Manchester.
    Yeah,I noticed that in the build up,you were 100% Mayweather would win.In fact,didn't you say by stoppage?Good call.I think,looking back now,that coming in lighter may have been a mistake. Mayweather seemed stronger to me!

Quote Originally Posted by NuthaPug
    I thought Cortez was a little quick to break them initially, but the way they were tying up - often with headlocks and such - weren't the kind of clinch you can easily fight out of, and there's not much to do but break and reset. I was glad that Cortez backed off a bit later on. And it didn't take him long to make that adjustment.

Obviously the infight was going to be key, especially for Hatton to have any chance at all.

The feed I watched was a bit choppy, so I really missed too much of the fight. Was glad to see Floyd meet Hatton's gameplan and out-box him even on the inside, though. But I couldn't always tell who was scoring better.

Quantity vs quality - quality wins to the point of generating more quantity. Hatton got outboxed, but he also got out-Hattoned. Nevermind that he was the one charging forward most of the time - it's what happened when they got toe to toe. Way to go, Floyd. And a KO on top of it.

With the choppy feed, the fight looked sloppy to me. I'll be glad to see it again with a better view.
    Your view seems pretty accurate to me. It was a very sloppy fight,especially at the beginning but Floyd began to take over and land the harder,cleaner punches as the fight wore on. I actually don't think there was THAT much quantity from Hatton. He was outhustling Mayweather earlier,but it seemed like Floyd was content on that happening. I think he's done that in the Zab,Oscar and now this fight,it's like he's adjusting to the fighter,seeing what they have. Hatton is a tough tough warrior though,I give him that. I didn't think he was going to get up from th first knockdown or even the round before,where he was on the verge of getting stopped too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    I thought Hatton performed well enough....I think he got a bit overzelous at times, he needed to control his aggression just a bit more but easier said then done though....If he took a step back every now and then while Floyd was on the ropes instead of wrestling IMO he would have been more effective....He was out gunned to a point...Floyd was a bit bigger then him...Hatton slowed down a bit more due to getting over anxious then anything....If Hatton was able to keep a bit more composed he would have done some majore damage and avoided some of those clinches against the ropes.without letting Floyd off the ropes.....

All in all he has nothing to be ashamed of and it was a great learning experience....he will bounce back a pick up where he left off

Floyd looked bad last night...I feel the PBF followers swarming me already ......But let me explain myself...

Floyd did not like the relentless pressure in the outset of the fight....he was uncomfortable It took pretty much 7 rds for him to adjust....Contrary to what was said last night Floyd can not "Fight"....Floyd can box....If ODH used the exact method Hatton did last night he would have stopped Floyd...I know BULL ***....But ODH is much stronger then Hatton and Floyd would (or anyone for that matter) not be able to take it on the ropes against a strong fighter like that.....even if he was blocking punches....I said before and stand by it....Hit him in the arms, shoulders anywhere,,,after 2 rds he wont have those hands up as much...

Floyd had a good win but Impressive I can't really say so....a genuine 147lb fighter with some patience doing the exact same thing Hatton did last night would have been sucessful...call me crazy but...
    Whislt I don't totally agree with you,it's an interesting perspective and I DEFINITELY want to see Floyd v a natural 147 pounder,with power. It has to be Cotto. With regards to the Oscar points,I think you are way way off. Oscar never has been and never will be a pressure fighter. The fans that thought he would wi thought so because they were desperate to see Floyd lose,not based on rational thinking,which is fine,we all do that at times. But no way Oscar was ever beating Floyd at this stage in his career. And fro what I recall,Floyd was on th ropes and Oscar was missing wild sloppy,slapping shots and throwing arm punches to the body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats why the word "IF" was in the beginnning of the ODH statement El G......ODH was doing fine then suddenly gassed or became overly frustrated....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    Thats why the word "IF" was in the beginnning of the ODH statement El G......ODH was doing fine then suddenly gassed or became overly frustrated....
    Too big an IF for me bro. IF JLC got the decision,IF Hatton had gone to the body etc etc. Opens too many doors and before you know it,Pandora's box is open And I thought Floyd was giving those rounds away more than Oscar winning them. As Soon as Floyd put his foot on the gas,in the 8th,Oscar was outclassed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LuvFightGame,I know you were critical of Mayweather for not trying to finish his fights:thoughts now?

Also,what happened in the Ponce fight,did anyone see it? I heard it was dull,I have not had time to watch it yet.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LuvFightGame,I know you were critical of Mayweather for not trying to finish his fights:thoughts now?

Also,what happened in the Ponce fight,did anyone see it? I heard it was dull,I have not had time to watch it yet.
    Don't bother with the Ponce fight... It was awful.. Same with the Lacy vs Manfredo fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Much respect to Floyd. I just wish somebody would shut Roger the f@*k up. He's always talking sh*t and calling Floyd's opponents club fighters and such, maybe someone should remind his punk a$$ of the dozen losses on his record.
    "The refusal to respect one's enemies is a weakness, a stinginess of heart." Frederick the Great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd did what he always does...he took his man outside of his comfort zone & Hatton fell apart...plain & simple

Everyone'll now start looking to Cotto to handle Floyd.

After he beats him....who's next?

It's annoying. Last night shoulda told everyone where & what Floyd is all about.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Avoid that fight at all costs unless you're a big fan of Ponce De Leon. He looked dreadful... it was shocking how much he was missing his punches by, you would never think he is a world champion if that was your first glimpse of him. He looked like a journeyman upsetting a decent boxer at best.

back for earlier man.
    I think you were hitting the nail on the head about Mayweather vs. De La Hoya. People rarely ever give Floyd credit, it is always "the other guys stamina faded/lost confidence/changed to the wrong tactics etc..." The reason it appears like that is a testament to Floyd's skill. Against Judah, he adjusted to the southpaw style and outboxed Zab. Against Oscar he also adjusted, and Oscar had no answer... against Ricky, he simply bided his time until he felt it was time to strike, much like a lion waiting in the high grass for its prey. It can't be coincidence that fighters keep "fading in the second half" of Mayweather fights only. Floyd simply overwhelms them to the point where they are almost paralyzed and unable to let their hands go! It has happened too many times now, I can no longer say that luck is just on Floyd's side.
    That is my opinion anyway.

Thread Information