Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Greatest Snooker Player EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Munky
    Totally overlooked Higgins. What a talent. His 69 break clearance against White in the 1982 Benson and Hedges final (i think it was that) is widely regarded as the best snooker break the game has ever seen. He ran out of position on virtually every feckin ball!

Unreal.
    That was the world championship semi in 1982 . He was 14-15 down to White and 59-0 down in the frame when he came to the table. It was an unbelievable break with some of the pots incredible given the pressure on him.

Am glad he won that night yet as was a massive fan, though in hindsight I look back and wonder how differently Jimmy White's career would have been panned out had Higgins not made that clearance and he had gone on to win. Ray Reardon would have been waiting in the final and Jimmy would have pissed on him easily giving him the world title at age 21.

Then he would have had that extra edge in future world championship finals and no doubt taken more (let's face it 6 times runner up in the biggest tournament of all (twice blowing it in winning positions !) - how does he sleep at night !). Yep Jimmy could have been an even biger legend in the game if not for Alex's brilliance that night.

It's sad seeing Jimmy playing now and won't be same without him at the Crucible in April
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

unbelievable - here is that very break by Higgins on youtube !!

[youtube=425,350]dViH2UERKBs[/youtube]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

also back then the balls weighed a ton

and the cloth was like a faux fur rug
    I'm the real pretty boy

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO
    fair comment but all the coaching in the world from the best coaches in the world won't mean you are going to be a great.

Its natural talent, you can either do it or you can't - Ronnie can to a level never before seen.

Hendry and Davis couldn't control a cue ball and play with the ease O'Sullivan , White and Higgins could when in the zone - and they will be the first to admit it.
    I agree about the natural talent...Obviously when a fast flare player is buzzing they make the game look easy and its much more pleasing on the eye.

But Ronnie can only do it to a level never before seen because of Davis, Hendry, White and Higgins

Ronnie has brilliant technique and is very consistent.

One of the main things that set Davis apart from White and Higgins was consistency. This was down to his granite technique. Hendry was able to take the game to a new level because of his natural talent combined with the Davis (Frank Callan ) technique. Ronnie was able to have this instilled in him from day one.

In ten years time people will be arguing whether or not Ding is the greatest player of all time.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stephen Hendry. He beat them all in his prime, over and over and over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about the games great characters? Bill Werbenuik (Sp?) Kirk Stevens, Eddie Charlton (ok he was boring) , Ray Reardon and people like that?

Love 80's snooker

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    ...but O'Sullivan in his prime beat Hendry 18-3 at the Crucible
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Totally overlooked Higgins. What a talent. His 69 break clearance against White in the 1982 Benson and Hedges final (i think it was that) is widely regarded as the best snooker break the game has ever seen. He ran out of position on virtually every feckin ball!

Unreal.
    On his day Higgins was something else, on an off day something else entirely. He was never boring, thats for sure!

He will always be my favorite snooker player.

Ive also admired Steve Davis a lot over the years, he is a little less interesting though!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles

Unreal.
    On his day Higgins was something else, on an off day something else entirely. He was never boring, thats for sure!

Ive also admired Steve Davis a lot over the years, he is a little less interesting though!
    How the fukk did Higgins pot balls when he used to jump up half way through the shot

On long shots, he used to get to the bottom of the table before the cue ball

Amazing talent
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    Quote Originally Posted by miles

Unreal.

How the fukk did Higgins pot balls when he used to jump up half way through the shot

On long shots, he used to get to the bottom of the table before the cue ball

Amazing talent
    Agreed!

He was a live wired, mentalist of the game! Never boring. Even in defeat something would always be there to watch!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

was 17-4 in a semi about 3 years back

was great viewing just to see expression on Hendry's face

Just watched that Higgins break again - that is something else !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But something to happened to Hendry. I don't know what. But he just started missing easy shots at one point (I think something happened to that cue he always used?), and he hasn't been the same since. That was ages ago.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But something to happened to Hendry. I don't know what. But he just started missing easy shots at one point (I think something happened to that cue he always used?), and he hasn't been the same since. That was ages ago.
    Hendry is definitely 'The Greatest' player of all time imo. His record of century break, ranking tournament wins and 7 world titles will probabaly never be beaten.

.....but the question is who would win on their very best night

And I would say O'Sullivan!

Having said that when on their very best night, neither of them would miss so it would be one frame either way!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ronnie is very gifted and talented and my personal favourite player ever, but Hendry was the best tactician and technician ever by far and would of beaten anyone in his prime - 9 times in 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread Information