Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developing a fighting mentality...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Developing a fighting mentality...

I am/was raised to turn the cheek... but I feel no qualms about beating someone in the ring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry about coming late into this thread. Very interesting reading. My totally unprofessional view is, I'm a wimp when it comes to fighting. When I was in street fights and sensed a fight was coming, my heart was about to come out of my chest I was so afraid. My Dad taught me, love people and do all you can to stay out of fights, but if you have no choice, then you show them what vicious means. My parents didn't raise me to be a victim.

For ring fighting, I couldn't do it. Light sparring, ok, but all out boxing, no. There is too much research to show that is not healthy for the brain so I would feel bad not only having it done to me, but doing it to them.

Still, I love watching and learning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: Developing a fighting mentality...

Quote Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
    Sorry about coming late into this thread. Very interesting reading. My totally unprofessional view is, I'm a wimp when it comes to fighting. When I was in street fights and sensed a fight was coming, my heart was about to come out of my chest I was so afraid. My Dad taught me, love people and do all you can to stay out of fights, but if you have no choice, then you show them what vicious means. My parents didn't raise me to be a victim.

For ring fighting, I couldn't do it. Light sparring, ok, but all out boxing, no. There is too much research to show that is not healthy for the brain so I would feel bad not only having it done to me, but doing it to them.

Still, I love watching and learning.
    See I don't understand that way of thinking. I understand the risks too, but they don't deter me from boxing. Also why would you feel bad for the person your sparring? They are in the ring with you to improve their boxing not to just inflict pain on you. Also why would you need research to prove to you being hit over an over in the head isn't good for you. I just think your focusing on the negative which scares you from really getting into it.

I've only recently started sparring, and I too was worried. Not scared of brain damage, but of losing a tooth since I like my teeth. However I got past it since I really do enjoy boxing. I have to say it was one of my favorite experiences of my life. However I want to improve myself greatly before doing it again though since I was shown how ineffective my skills were. My point is that if you really do enjoy boxing don't worry about the risks and just live your life. Hell you could be hit by a car crossing the street tomorrow. About 5,000 pedestrians are killed and another 64,000 are injured in motor vehicle accidents every year in this country. If you want some stats to worry over that effects all of us.

As for the topic. Being mentally prepared to box is all about how you perceive it to be. I see sparing as two people improving themselves. So when I got clocked clear in the chin from a uppercut when I was leaning I wasn't pissed at the guy I was sparring I was annoyed at myself for leaning too much. It's all how you perceive it to be. Understanding why your in the ring will help you be able to perform in the ring. Punch your opponent to win. If you don't want to punch your opponent,or want to win. Then your simply there to get punched so get out of the ring.
    Last edited by Aweless; 10-21-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just freakin love punching people in the face! lol

Not in some cruel, or angry way, but have always loved it, so it is likely a good thing I found boxing when I did, young.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm NOT saying a boxer is cruel. Like you said, it is expected that the opponent does their best and not hold back. It is fair since both understand the sport. I am saying that I can't do it.

Risks? I ride a motorcycle for 99% of my transportation, but I do wear all the gear and read and follow safety on a regular basis. Sorry, but I'm a realist. I don't want to live in a pretend world or be guessing at things that involve my safety when I should be studying it to cut the risk. People spend hours watching TV but don't care about things they should know by just taking a small amount of time to see.

You say, "My point is that if you really do enjoy boxing don't worry about the risks and just live your life." My philosophy is, if there is something I really enjoy, I investigate the dangers and see how safe I can make it. If you're not concerned about how you can cut back the odds about brain damage by the best head gear, gloves and possibly holding back on the power of some power punches, then have it and ignore the data. Since when is knowledge bad? Hopefully I will take up boxing some day even in my old age, but it will be in a fashion that involves safety. Nothing is worth serious damage to me. Often, you can have your cake and eat it too, you just have to figure out how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then I would suggest that you don't box. Enjoy watching the sport from ringside. Studies have also shown head gear doesn't completely prevent brain damage. So it will never truly be safe enough for you to do it. If you aren't willing to take the risk stay out of the ring. I'm sorry but you are living in a pretend world. No amount of gear can protect you completely from a blow. So there will always be a little risk. Boxing isn't about going out and getting hurt. Boxers take every risk into account that is also why boxers train as hard as they do. Also sparring isn't always about going out to kill the other guy. It's about improving skills so if your willing to take a hit you can do it. That's the problem I see with you. Your not willing to take the hit. Boxing is about two people trying to hit each other while avoiding each others punches. My gym offers boxing classes for those who only wish to train as a boxer, but don't want to fight. I would suggest trying a class like that. You'll receive a good workout without being in any danger. I can't see you being in boxing any other way. Boxers don't ignore risks, they embrace them, and train harder because of them.
    Last edited by Aweless; 10-23-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aweless, we agree to just a bit. Yes, you can get hurt with head gear, but head gear does protect the eyes, nose, etc. The hits I'm talking about are the power hits, like a big hook that knocks head to the side suddenly. Head gear for that kind of punch just goes along for the ride. That's why I said I could box as long as I understand and the sparring partner understands, we both go at it, but hold off power to the power punches. If that puts me in a "pretend world", that's fine; I just want to learn and keep my brain intact.

Talking about a pretend world, I have watched so many boxing training videos about slipping jabs and how to counter them, of course all done in slow movement, when in real life within striking distance, if the puncher did not telegraph the jab, and the jab was all out speed, they get hit, no time to slip. I made boxing robotic boxing arms that jab at real speeds and the two boxers that tried it could not slip them. So at least I won't pretend I could slip a fast jab and I'm much better off keeping my guard up to begin with.

Agreed too, you have to take some risks and believe it or not, I have taken more than most, but I still try to study what I'm doing to cut down on the risk. I could see why you love boxing. It is a great sport but too bad it couldn't be done and won more safely. Realizing though, in a street fight you can use those same skills and make it as unsafe as possible for the person attacking you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a funny one, Ive got an old wedding Photo 13 of my old mates on it. Theres only 3 of us left, the other 10 got killed on Mountains. It was there choice of freewill to do it. This week Monday went to the Boxers Writers Dinner, met up with of my old mates. None the worse for wear. Yet last night Jason Rushton is rushed to Hospital, know Him well and His Dad, sad. But its the persons choice to do. People who do it can turn into Cabbages those who dont already are.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way I see it: the determination and discipline I learn from boxing is worth the few neurons I lose.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Its a funny one, Ive got an old wedding Photo 13 of my old mates on it. Theres only 3 of us left, the other 10 got killed on Mountains. It was there choice of freewill to do it. This week Monday went to the Boxers Writers Dinner, met up with of my old mates. None the worse for wear. Yet last night Jason Rushton is rushed to Hospital, know Him well and His Dad, sad. But its the persons choice to do. People who do it can turn into Cabbages those who dont already are.
    Awesome.

Thread Information