Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Functional Weights

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    Donny, did you ever see my pulley system? It has made me Tysonesque...less the ear biting, deep seeded personal issues, etc.
    Sell me this contraption. now.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get a fit ball sit on a chair ball at shoulder height arms out holding the ball on the side. Pushing in as hard as you can bend the elbows an inch every ten secs until youre 90 degrees then still pushing in staighten the elbows an inch every ten seconds till they are straight, how many can you do
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My main weight lifting regimen consists of a personal patented version of circuit training that is regulated according to my heart-rate and rate of fatigue. Compound movements (e.g. the squat) are paired with easier exercises (e.g. calve raises, wrist curls, etc.). The execution of the movements is in a way that does not compromise my punching speed or flexibility. I may time to time do supplemental work on training the muscles around my rotator cuffs, and a few unorthodox movements (e.g. side-bends while holding onto a pull-up bar).
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A question on pull ups. Now i know alot of bodyweight exercises you can perform everyday without decimating your muscles. Does this go for pull ups also?

Also, i know this is a real noob question, but i might as well ask it. I know pull ups are mostly for lats and back, Chin ups mainly work...*fill in the blank* thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    A question on pull ups. Now i know alot of bodyweight exercises you can perform everyday without decimating your muscles. Does this go for pull ups also?

Also, i know this is a real noob question, but i might as well ask it. I know pull ups are mostly for lats and back, Chin ups mainly work...*fill in the blank* thanks.
    You can do Pullups every day... if you have a good post workout nutrition. Also chinups works forearms, biceps and shoulder.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anybody tried my suggestion
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Anybody tried my suggestion
    I haven't actually, but I will do. Tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's relative to you and how Challenging you find the exercise and how well you recover.

I can do push ups/pull ups everyday with out over working the muscles but people with a lower fitness level/poor recovery rate couldn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

scrap

i didn't understand the instructions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Handstand pushups are good for this, but free weights are mighty difficult to target the back. The way I have been doing lately is lay on the ground with a weight in each hand, then do a punch action straight into the air (trying to rotate the core into it as well, replicating the action best as I can). As a result I am feeling a lot stronger and upper body is becoming a lot more ripped. Also been doing laying on my back and throwing a medicine ball into the air with two arms and then just one armed. That defently has helped develop my explosive power, but I guess it's finding routines which work for you and employ the equipment you own. When I'm back at home I don't have any of these thing but will defently be going to buy some when I have the money.
    Would it do any better to lay on a bench? That way you could lower your arm just a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    scrap

i didn't understand the instructions.

nor I
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    Handstand pushups are good for this, but free weights are mighty difficult to target the back. The way I have been doing lately is lay on the ground with a weight in each hand, then do a punch action straight into the air (trying to rotate the core into it as well, replicating the action best as I can). As a result I am feeling a lot stronger and upper body is becoming a lot more ripped. Also been doing laying on my back and throwing a medicine ball into the air with two arms and then just one armed. That defently has helped develop my explosive power, but I guess it's finding routines which work for you and employ the equipment you own. When I'm back at home I don't have any of these thing but will defently be going to buy some when I have the money.
    Would it do any better to lay on a bench? That way you could lower your arm just a bit.
    It depends because then your starting to teach your arms to "load up" as this closely simulates straights. If you do this you could start messing with your muscle memory, however they are just thoughts as I don't have a bench to try this with.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can do Pullups every day... if you have a good post workout nutrition. Also chinups works forearms, biceps and shoulder.
    Depends on the intensity and number of sets etc.....

For the purpose of building muscle, if he's working to failure every day then it's a bad idea. He's not allowing his muscles to rest. Without rest they won't grow.

For endurance purposes, providing he isn't going anywhere near failure (i.e working between 50%-65% of his max rep range) then it's ok......but even then he would require a rest every now and again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah mate that's common sense, you shouldn't go 100% on a muscle group every day, but for boxer's targeting the muscle groups every day with varying levels of intensly can be very benificial as we need much more conditioning than your run of the mill body builder. After all we don't want to gain mass (most of us) but just increase strength, power and endurance of the muscle, aka make them as efficient as possible.
    Last edited by Salty; 06-13-2008 at 03:13 AM.

Hidden Content

Thread Information