Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Any Fighter In Recent Memory Fought As Many Quality Fighters In A Row Than JMM ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has Any Fighter In Recent Memory Fought As Many Quality Fighters In A Row Than JM

Quote Originally Posted by Nonito Donaire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    JMM's last 8 fights.

Victor Polo
    Chris John
    Terdsak Jandaeng
    Jimrex Jaca
    MAB
    Rocky Juarez
    Manny Pacquaio
    Joel Casamayor

And now Juan Diaz from the top of my head, i can't think of a fighter. Who has fought that kind of level of opposition in a row. That truly is quite a list.
    I actually think his resume is rather unremarkable considering his exalted standing in the p4p rankings.

Yes Manny Pacquaio and Chris John are top opponents but he lost to both them, whatever the circumstances. Rocky Juarez is a perrenial loser to top level opposition having been previously beaten by Barrera twice and Humberto Soto. Joel Casamayor was completely shot.

Jandaeng was a prospect nothing more, Guzman and Lueveno have both beaten him. Victor Polo was nothing special in elite terms having failed previously 4 times in world title bouts and Jimrex Jaca is a complete nobody who Marquez made one hell of a meal out of. He hasn't won any of his last 5 fights, an appalling opponent for a number 2 rated fighter imo.

It actually really annoys me that Marquez is rated at number 2 in the p4p ahead of Calzaghe whose last six opponents are leaps and bounds better and he won them all

Joes last six, Lacy, Bika, Manfredo, Kessler, Hopkins, Jones Jr.

And he won all six. His resume pisses all over Marquez's last six imo.

Jimrex Jaca doesn't even come up to the level of a Tocker Podwill.
    Bilbo we could also easily do this with Joe Calzaghe's opposition.

Roy Jones = Completely shot much more so than Joel Casamayor, Roy Jones's last good performance was in 2002.

Peter Manfredo = Thats got to be a joke right ?

Jeff Lacy = Overhyped young champion who since his loss to Joe Calzaghe, has got 2 gift decisions against C class fighters, and was recently smacked around by Jermain Taylor.

Sakio Bika = Not a bad fighter but he did get a gift against Sam Soliman, and went life and death with Jaidon Codrington, who is a B class opponent at best. Sakio Bika hasn't done that much he also got whooped by Lucian Bute, Sakio Bika has not beaten 1 elite fighter yet.

The only ones i'll give you are Mikkel Kessler who you could also say, hadn't really beaten anyone when he fought Joe Calzaghe. And Bernard Hopkins was 43 but he is still top notch fighter so Joe Calzaghe does deserve credit, but i didn't think he even won the fight.

And had it been against a younger Bernard Hopkins who was KO'ing his opponents, instead of outboxing them to boring decisions, then i personally don't think Joe Calzaghe would of won, i don't think he even won against the 43 year old version.
    Jones is one of the greatest fighters of all time, he was past his best but no more so against Joe than Casa was against Marquez, and less than Oscar was against Manny.

Lacy and Kessler were both arguably p4p stars when Calzaghe beat them, if they wern't in the Ring top 10 then neither was outside the top 12 certainly much better opposition than Casamayor, Jaca, Polo and Jandaeng.

Chris John is only really heralded becuase he got a win over Marquez, aside from that result he's done nothing of real significance.

Marquez's best opponent was Manny and he lost, just he did to Chris John.

Sure you can argue that in your opinion he should of won but it doesn't change the fact that he lost them both wheras Calzaghe has beaten everybody in his last 6 fights.

Nobody can convince me that wins over Jaca, Jandaeng, Casamayor and Polo along with defeats to John and Pacquaio is a better resume than going 6-0 against Lacy, Manfredo, Bika, Kessler, Hopkins and Jones Jr.

Aside from Manfredo all 5 of the rest represent tough opposition. If you really think Jandaeng, Polo and Jaca top that lot, none of whom have even won an alphabet strap let alone been considered one of the champs in the division or a p4p star then you are just blinded by your Calzaghe hatred.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Has Any Fighter In Recent Memory Fought As Many Quality Fighters In A Row Than JM

I actually think his resume is rather unremarkable considering his exalted standing in the p4p rankings.

Yes Manny Pacquaio and Chris John are top opponents but he lost to both them, whatever the circumstances. Rocky Juarez is a perrenial loser to top level opposition having been previously beaten by Barrera twice and Humberto Soto. Joel Casamayor was completely shot.

Jandaeng was a prospect nothing more, Guzman and Lueveno have both beaten him. Victor Polo was nothing special in elite terms having failed previously 4 times in world title bouts and Jimrex Jaca is a complete nobody who Marquez made one hell of a meal out of. He hasn't won any of his last 5 fights, an appalling opponent for a number 2 rated fighter imo.

It actually really annoys me that Marquez is rated at number 2 in the p4p ahead of Calzaghe whose last six opponents are leaps and bounds better and he won them all

Bilbo we could also easily do this with Joe Calzaghe's opposition.

Roy Jones = Completely shot much more so than Joel Casamayor, Roy Jones's last good performance was in 2002.

Peter Manfredo = Thats got to be a joke right ?

Jeff Lacy = Overhyped young champion who since his loss to Joe Calzaghe, has got 2 gift decisions against C class fighters, and was recently smacked around by Jermain Taylor.

Sakio Bika = Not a bad fighter but he did get a gift against Sam Soliman, and went life and death with Jaidon Codrington, who is a B class opponent at best. Sakio Bika hasn't done that much he also got whooped by Lucian Bute, Sakio Bika has not beaten 1 elite fighter yet.

The only ones i'll give you are Mikkel Kessler who you could also say, hadn't really beaten anyone when he fought Joe Calzaghe. And Bernard Hopkins was 43 but he is still top notch fighter so Joe Calzaghe does deserve credit, but i didn't think he even won the fight.

And had it been against a younger Bernard Hopkins who was KO'ing his opponents, instead of outboxing them to boring decisions, then i personally don't think Joe Calzaghe would of won, i don't think he even won against the 43 year old version.
    Jones is one of the greatest fighters of all time, he was past his best but no more so against Joe than Casa was against Marquez, and less than Oscar was against Manny.

Lacy and Kessler were both arguably p4p stars when Calzaghe beat them, if they wern't in the Ring top 10 then neither was outside the top 12 certainly much better opposition than Casamayor, Jaca, Polo and Jandaeng.

Chris John is only really heralded becuase he got a win over Marquez, aside from that result he's done nothing of real significance.

Marquez's best opponent was Manny and he lost, just he did to Chris John.

Sure you can argue that in your opinion he should of won but it doesn't change the fact that he lost them both wheras Calzaghe has beaten everybody in his last 6 fights.

Nobody can convince me that wins over Jaca, Jandaeng, Casamayor and Polo along with defeats to John and Pacquaio is a better resume than going 6-0 against Lacy, Manfredo, Bika, Kessler, Hopkins and Jones Jr.

Aside from Manfredo all 5 of the rest represent tough opposition. If you really think Jandaeng, Polo and Jaca top that lot, none of whom have even won an alphabet strap let alone been considered one of the champs in the division or a p4p star then you are just blinded by your Calzaghe hatred.
    Sorry but please Bilbo do not even compare Joel Casamayor/Roy Jones, Joel Casamayor wern't at his best granted. But he still fought very good against JMM. And was pretty even with him until he got KO'ed in the 11th round.

Joel Casamayor had never been KO'ed and was the ring champion, what had RJJ done since 2003 ? his record since the John Ruiz fight is 3-4 he went life and death with a mediocre opponent like Anthony Hanshaw, KO'ed twice by Glen Johnson/Antonio Tarver. And lost 4 rounds to a blown up Welterweight who had been retired since 2005.

If you honestly think Joel Casamayor/Roy Jones are in the same class regarding, how shot they were then im speechless i really am. And sorry i don't think Jeff Lacy/Sakio Bika/Shot RJJ/Peter Manfredo are in Chris John's class.

Chris John is 42-0 and has made 9 title defenses, granted some of his opponents are questionable. But he is still a very good fighter, and JMM did deserve a win against him. I don't think you've seen that fight Bilbo, theres no question JMM deserved that win.

By atleast 3 rounds it was a hometown decision and anyone who saw it, knows JMM won that fight no question. It wasn't like the 2 Manny Pacquiao fights which could of gone either way.

Im not trying to say fighters like Victor Polo are world class operator's. But there still goodish opponents, and mixed in with guys like MAB, Manny Pacquiao, Rocky Juarez, Joel Casamayor, all in a row non stop and considering in all those 8 fights.

4 of them were at Featherweight, 3 at Super Featherweight. And 1 at Lightweight adds to the challenge does it not ? which makes it even more impressive.
    Last edited by ICB; 01-08-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JMM's last 8 fights.

Victor Polo
    Chris John
    Terdsak Jandaeng
    Jimrex Jaca
    MAB
    Rocky Juarez
    Manny Pacquaio
    Joel Casamayor

And now Juan Diaz from the top of my head, i can't think of a fighter. Who has fought that kind of level of opposition in a row. That truly is quite a list.

That name alone kills it all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris John got the nod against Marquez. He sure as hell didn't beat him or win that fight. John got a hometown decision.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Cotto has a good list
    HHhhhhmmmmm I wish I could say I agree. Sure, Judah and Mosley are big names but, I would be more convinced if they were on their primes. I would have rather see Cotto face Mosley back when Mosley beat ODLH. When he had that speed, KO punch, fast legs, etc. Same thing with Judah. All the other guys in his list, well, what do you think about them?

He's had Quintana, Judah, Mosley, Margarito, Ricardo Torres, Paulie, Urkal. Its not the best, but it was decent.

I think Ricardo Torres has dynamite in his fists and is dangerous against anyone, Quintana is a really good boxer who showed it against P. Williams their first fight. Margarito is obviously MArgarito. Judah isn't the best fighter ever, but he looked a lot better against Clottey than he did against Cotto which is saying something about how good Cotto is. ALl in all your right he shouldn't be up there, but he has foughten some good guys.
    Sure. We can say Cotto's opponents have been "decent" but not really up there on the list. Something that doesn't convince me that much about past opponents is who they also faced in their careers. Let's say that Jennings had a KO punch and all but if we looked at his resume, who has he fought really? Yeah, those kind of things don't really impress me from Cotto's resume compared to others that have been mentioned in this thread and others. But as for style and all, sure, Cotto has it . Let's see how he does against the long list of top guys on their prime. Hopefully he'll do just fine and not be like Fernando Vargas who sadly lost against big names in their primes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I agree with you Chino

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How recent?

Holy fought some badass names consecutively.
    Buster Douglas, Foreman, Cooper, Holmes, Bowe, Stewart, Bowe, Moorer, Mercer, Bowe, Czyz, Tyson, Tyson, Moorer, Bean, Lennox, Lennox, Ruiz, Ruiz, Ruiz, Rahman, Byrd, Toney.

In that order I reaaaaaaly doubt any boxer will have that many top fighters with the exception of a couple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Except for OScar De La Hoya, I think you would be hard pressed, but Dela Hoya except for at the very begining of his career has fought solid opponents every single time.

Even back in SRR days they didn't fight that many really good guys in a row, but they fought more bums inbetween. If you look at those guys records against the really talented opposition it measures up pretty comparably to nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    And I agree with you Chino
    And I agree with VD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's cool how Mayorga fought.

Mosley
    Vargas
    Oscar
    Picirillo
    Trinidad

But yeah Hopkins was the first that pop into mind when i read the thread title.

Vasquez fought

Marquez
    Marquez
    Marquez
    Gonzalez

that is 4 P4P quality fights back to back..
    Hidden Content There is no reward for second place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao's 13 fights, the order is from the latest to oldest.

W- TKO 8 - Oscar de la Hoya
    W – TKO 9 - David Diaz
    W – SD - Juan Manuel Marquez
    W – UD - Marco Antonio Barrera
    W – KO 8 - Jorge Solis
    W – KO 3 - Erik Morales
    W – UD - Oscar Larios
    W - TKO 10 - Erik Morales
    W - KO – 6 Hector Velasquez
    L – UD - Erik Morales
    W - TKO – 4 Fahsan Por Thawatchai
    D – SD - Juan Manuel Marquez
    W – TKO 11 - Marco Antonio Barrera

Some list. Includes a few of the great ones!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KananKrus View Post
    Pacquiao's 13 fights, the order is from the latest to oldest.

W- TKO 8 - Oscar de la Hoya
    W – TKO 9 - David Diaz
    W – SD - Juan Manuel Marquez
    W – UD - Marco Antonio Barrera
    W – KO 8 - Jorge Solis
    W – KO 3 - Erik Morales
    W – UD - Oscar Larios
    W - TKO 10 - Erik Morales
    W - KO – 6 Hector Velasquez
    L – UD - Erik Morales
    W - TKO – 4 Fahsan Por Thawatchai
    D – SD - Juan Manuel Marquez
    W – TKO 11 - Marco Antonio Barrera

Some list. Includes a few of the great ones!
    If you add Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather to that list (hoping they happen), it would be one hell of a resume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar Larios should be in BOLD. He's was a champion before pac and now the current WBC 126lbs Champion.

Lehlo Ledwabba was a serious TOP 15 fighter p4p and was considered the top dog @122

Jorge Julio - Is a former 2 time World Champion

Chatchai Sasakul - Is a linear Legendary Champion

Only Oscar Dela Hoya and BHOP rivals PAC's resume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales in 16 Months starting Nov 2003 !!!!!!!!!!

Its like taking Joe Frazier, George Foreman and Muhammad Ali in 16 months

SRL, Marvin Hagler and Thomas hearns in 18 months

Haters cant decode this im sure

Thread Information