Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: which of this 2 wil earn more?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • pac vs cotto

3 17.65%
  • pac vs pbf

14 82.35%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which of this fights would earn better in ppv and ticket sales?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: which of this fights would earn better in ppv and ticket sales?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    I can't believe this is even a debate?!

Pacquiao vs Mayweather would be the biggest fight, historically, since De La Hoya vs Trinidad.

Pac vs Cotto will probably provide the bigger thrills but Mayweather is WAY MORE mainstream than Cotto is.
    I thought it was a poll?

Pacquiao vs Cotto is a better match of styles that promises to be a more exciting fight to watch than a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight. I would buy both fights.

While Pacquiao vs Mayweather is a tantalizing question to anyone around the sport of boxing, people outside the sport may be antithetic and more interested in the celebrities that show up to watch the fight and atmosphere that goes with it. No one really knows how fights transcend the sport and become super mega draws.

The question will go unanswered unless there is a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight.

Inside the boxing world there is no question that more people know who Mayweather is than know Cotto. Outside of the boxing world, I'm not so sure that either of them are known that much. Puerto Rico is very small place but if you ask a Puerto Rican on the streets who Cotto is and they could probably tell you.

My guess is that Mayweather vs Pacquiao is a bigger PPV attraction because of the hypothetical spin other sports figures/commentators will talk about. (i.e. free marketing hype) In addition there are multiple promoters out there selling. While with Cotto vs Pacquiao, Top Rank has to put in more tangible marketing in to get them talking about Cotto and Pacquiao's bid to win an historic 7th weightclass title. Making Cotto a more attractive opponent from in record book stand point.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    I can't believe this is even a debate?!

Pacquiao vs Mayweather would be the biggest fight, historically, since De La Hoya vs Trinidad.

Pac vs Cotto will probably provide the bigger thrills but Mayweather is WAY MORE mainstream than Cotto is.
    I thought it was a poll?

Pacquiao vs Cotto is a better match of styles that promises to be a more exciting fight to watch than a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight. I would buy both fights.

While Pacquiao vs Mayweather is a tantalizing question to anyone around the sport of boxing, people outside the sport may be antithetic and more interested in the celebrities that show up to watch the fight and atmosphere that goes with it. No one really knows how fights transcend the sport and become super mega draws.

The question will go unanswered unless there is a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight.

Inside the boxing world there is no question that more people know who Mayweather is than know Cotto. Outside of the boxing world, I'm not so sure that either of them are known that much. Puerto Rico is very small place but if you ask a Puerto Rican on the streets who Cotto is and they could probably tell you.

My guess is that Mayweather vs Pacquiao is a bigger PPV attraction because of the hypothetical spin other sports figures/commentators will talk about. (i.e. free marketing hype) In addition there are multiple promoters out there selling. While with Cotto vs Pacquiao, Top Rank has to put in more tangible marketing in to get them talking about Cotto and Pacquiao's bid to win an historic 7th weightclass title. Making Cotto a more attractive opponent from in record book stand point.

If you don't know who Cotto is, are you really in "the boxing world"? I don't think so.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes... valid point for the avid boxing fan.

Are there not fans that gravitate to the sport because of fighter "X" (a variety of reasons) but don't really follow boxing? example: there are probably plenty of causal fans that followed Sugar Ray Leonard or say Oscar De La Hoya because they won a Gold medals but have never heard of Cotto. These people are only around boxing when fight "X" is involved.

An example of someone outside the sport might be: Sometimes people get excited and decide to have a social gathering and use a mega fight as the center piece. I have friends that really care nothing about football and do this for a big game. If there is enough buzz, this type of stuff happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Yes... valid point for the avid boxing fan.

Are there not fans that gravitate to the sport because of fighter "X" (a variety of reasons) but don't really follow boxing? example: there are probably plenty of causal fans that followed Sugar Ray Leonard or say Oscar De La Hoya because they won a Gold medals but have never heard of Cotto. These people are only around boxing when fight "X" is involved.

An example of someone outside the sport might be: Sometimes people get excited and decide to have a social gathering and use a mega fight as the center piece. I have friends that really care nothing about football and do this for a big game. If there is enough buzz, this type of stuff happens.

That is what you call a casual sports fan. The kind of person who has a suburban house, takes shit from his wife, has just a few drinks and makes an ass of himself. Talks about a prime Mike Tyson.....

Now these people watch MMA for the "Sport fix."
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Thread Information