Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The loudest snobs I've ever heard!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The loudest snobs I've ever heard!

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    If you mention MMA to some boxing fans, their mouths disengage from their brains, and boxing snobbery appears.

Boxing and MMA are different, no one argues with that, but some boxing fans believe that there's the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit and then boxing, and MMA is down there below those specks that flies leave.

Give us the reasons you like or dislike MMA.
    Here are my reasons. MMA fights happen at a faster pace, 9 out of 10 times. MMA fights showcase the fighters athletic ability more than boxing. MMA is still evolving, you can be sure to see something new on a regular basis. MMA cards offer more exciting fights.
    Why do I watch boxing? I grew up watching boxing, I think I understand what's happening in a boxing match as well as most fans. I like the simplicity of boxing; two guys, four fists, a referee, basic rules that have been the same for years. I like punchers, boxers, boxer punchers, counter punchers, flying fists, big hearts, legendary trainers and corner men, and boxers, some great and some not so great.

I'm a boxing fan but I like MMA too!
    I'm a boxing fan not a snob, MMA has it's place if you like it it's okay with me, it's down to taste
    if we all liked the same thing, it would be boring I've watched MMA sorry but I don't find it
    exciting call me old fashion.
    haha mate you old fashioned modernized out-of-fashion updated new-age cowboy!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't mind mma and reguraly watch the cards when it doesn't conflict with boxing. Boxing is king for me though nothing gets me on the edge of my chair as a good boxing match, also as someone else mentioned the whole beating a guy while down is also a bit eeeek. Never understood the whole shitting on each sport that comes from both factions...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    I just don't like the sport

Something about hitting a man when he's down doesn't sit right with me!
    Goes against the grain, I know what you mean.
    The more you learn about MMA the more you'll enjoy the ground game.
    I'll watch a big card ever now & then with a mate who is in to it big time

I've watched it since the Gracie days, so I definitely understand the ground game

I just prefer boxing
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    MMA is dire...it's alot of under trained PED users who have found a way of earning a living,.,a bunch of mest heads who would struggle winning an area title in boxing...ala Kimbo bimbo

Too much gay carpet munching action for my liking and should be kept under ground

job biscuit (that's all)!!!

eh eh!!!
    Kimbo didn't make it in the UFC.
    He should never have even fought in the UFC, he should have never made it higher than one of the several mickey mouse MMA outfits out there.

Dana White let him fight in the UFC because he was after the Youtube hype, but IMO he reduced UFCs stock a little in doing so.

Clowns should only be allowed in circuses.
    White doesn't make a lot of mistakes.
    Taking Kimbo seriously was one of them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've followed MMA for 12 years and boxing for 10, so I post on boxing and MMA forums, and I can say that there is a lot of ignorance on both sides. Obviously there is a lot of overlap, as if you're a true fight fan, IMO you should be a fan of both sports.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that boxing people are threatened by MMA's success. The average kid now adays grows up wanting to be like Cain Velasquez or Anderson Silva, not Wladimir Klitschko or Floyd Mayweather. And a lot of that is boxing's failure: years of greedy promoters sucking the sport dry have really diminished the general public's interest in boxing IMO.

MMA also changed the way the public percieved hand to hand combat. The HW boxing champion was deemed the undisputed baddest man on the planet. It was hard to imagine anyone being able to take a prime Mike Tyson, Rocky Marciano or Joe Louis in a real fight. And when we thought of martial arts, we thought of flying kicks and ancient "death touches" - stuff we saw in the movies. MMA also exposed a lot of that nonsense.
    Boxing snobs IMO are butt-hurt that the champion boxer is no longer viewed as the "baddest man on the planet", just like people who bought into the karate expert who can kill a man just by touching him.

But of course the #1 problem is ignorance, and that goes for both sides. Boxing snobs don't understand the grappling aspects of MMA and deem it to be primitive and unskillful (couldn't be more wrong). That's probably because, in boxing, we associate grappling (holding and grabbing) in a negative way (cowardice). In reality, it can take someone +10 years to earn a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There's a lot more to it than just rolling around grabbing each other.

There's also the notion that MMA guys are "afraid to get hit", or that they can't take a punch like a boxer can. Well, that might be due to the fact that MMA uses 4oz gloves, which are a small step above getting punched bare-knuckled. Compare that to the 8 to 10oz boxing glove. Which would you rather get punched with?

Don't be a boxing snob, be a true fight fan. Give MMA a chance, learn the sport science of the game and let the promoters worry about which one is more popular. It's a great, exciting time to be an MMA fan as we're really in a new era in terms of skill and excitement.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    He should never have even fought in the UFC, he should have never made it higher than one of the several mickey mouse MMA outfits out there.

Dana White let him fight in the UFC because he was after the Youtube hype, but IMO he reduced UFCs stock a little in doing so.

Clowns should only be allowed in circuses.
    To be fair, Dana did the right thing with Kimbo. Kimbo was HUGELY popular, but Dana made him go through The Ultimate Fighter to get a shot in the UFC. Kimbo was 3-1 in MMA at the time and beat a good fighter in Houston Alexander in his debut (although Alexander was a LHW). Kimbo worked for his shot, got it, got whipped by Mitrione and was sent packing.

But Dana did capitalize on the Kimbo Youtube sensation back in 2005 when he let Sean Gannon in on the merit of Sean beating Kimbo in a Youtube street fight. Gannon got absolutely destroyed and was sent packing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    MMA is dire...it's alot of under trained PED users who have found a way of earning a living,.,a bunch of mest heads who would struggle winning an area title in boxing...ala Kimbo bimbo

Too much gay carpet munching action for my liking and should be kept under ground

job biscuit (that's all)!!!

eh eh!!!
    *kimbo's doing the same thing in boxing... maybe not with as much fanfare..but he is undefeated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there's is nothing ..AND i'll say it again, NOTHING, better than a much anticipated boxing title fight...

MMA is great! but once it's over, it's over... a great boxing fight lingers in ur head. example... dos santos ko'ed Veslquez... or whatever MMA ko... Pac getting ko'ed by Marquez... truthfully, how many times have u seen that KO?

there's nothing better than a good boxing match...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like MMA as well.

I'm more of a casual fan though. I keep up with who has the belts (UFC) even if I don't watch all of the PPV cards. There's about 5-6 fighters that I watch regularly. The rest I could care less about...I just wanna see a good fight.

Thread Information