Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who, From Muhammad Ali's Era, Could Wladimir Klitscko Have Beaten?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who, From Muhammad Ali's Era, Could Wladimir Klitscko Have Beaten?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Anybody here says Frazier would lose to Wladimir,

I'mma flag them for boxing ignorance.
    I totally agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i wouldn't say ignorance, just a slight different view on the situation

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Anybody here says Frazier would lose to Wladimir,

I'mma flag them for boxing ignorance.
    I totally agree.
    I dont... Maybe on his very best night Wlad would outpoint Frazier, and win the fight.. But damn, if you think Frazier would be too small, or too slow, what the hell is Lamon Brewster? Was he better than Frazier? Was Corrie Sanders, was Ross Purrity? That's the thing, Im sure on a great night Wlad could have beaten alot of the top 70's fighters save for a few, and I would personally include Frazier in that group.. But certainly if you factor in his possible implosion or panic attack or what have you, there are a ton of guys who could have beaten him in that era.. I think he and Ron Lyle would be a nice fight, there's always a chance he would get KTFO against any of those guys imo.. Norton, Shavers, Lyle, Frazier.. And Ali, Holmes, or Foreman, would have definetly beaten him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think people underrate Wladimer, the guy is extremely talented for his size....speed, power he had the lot, except for his chin ofcourse.
    Think about it, Wladimer is 7 inches taller than Frazier, 45 pounds heavier and has good boxing skill and the power to knock Frazier out. (although i don't think he would)...
    It would be a great fight and a good clash of styles, ive seen both men rocked before so it would be worth wacthing.
    Frazier is better techically as a boxer and faster, but then again he's alot lighter....he is a small heavyweight by today's standards. But imo he would beat most of them (if not all of them) today.
    But to say Wlad has no chance of beating Frazier is pretty ignorant imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    i think people underrate Wladimer, the guy is extremely talented for his size....speed, power he had the lot, except for his chin ofcourse.
    Think about it, Wladimer is 7 inches taller than Frazier, 45 pounds heavier and has good boxing skill and the power to knock Frazier out. (although i don't think he would)...
    It would be a great fight and a good clash of styles, ive seen both men rocked before so it would be worth wacthing.
    Frazier is better techically as a boxer and faster, but then again he's alot lighter....he is a small heavyweight by today's standards. But imo he would beat most of them (if not all of them) today.
    But to say Wlad has no chance of beating Frazier is pretty ignorant imo
    Vlad has a chance. Slim to none. I wouldn't call it ignorant necessarily. The hand clap was more for the ballsy statement that Gyrokai posted.

El Kabong Guest

Wlad wouldn't look like a fool vs anyone other than Foreman and possibly Shavers (who had questionable chin as well!).

Ron Lyle, Jerry Quarry, and Joe Frazier could keep pressure on and hold power for 15 rounds. Let us not forget all those guys had their tough moments too....Wlad definantly has the handspeed and offense of an all-time great, his defense and stamina are the pieces he lacks though and he lacks a lot of those.

I think Wlad would give Ali a tough go because he's tall and can jab, Norton (virtually a 70's version of Wlad) took it to Ali. So I say he gives those guys hard fights.

Spinks?!?!?! Leon and Michael could be in the ring at the same time and Wlad would beat the shit outta them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spinks is probably one of the worst heavyweight champs ever lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike for sure. I thought he lost the 2nd fight to Holmes. And I can't remember, did he have any title defences? Seems like he maybe had 1{other than Holmes}, before he was crushed by Tyson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Leon was 100 times worse than Michael

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow! I didn't even consider Leon a champ.Ha Ha Ha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Ali, Holmes and perhaps Foreman are the only fighters who would stand a realistic chance of beating Wlad. The others are way too small, or far too slow, to stand much of a chance.
    I totally agree with that.Back then they didn't have athletes like Wladimir,a guy that size with tremendous speed and power would be able to beat the majority of fighters at that time.People like to believe every fighter of that era were so much superior to todays heavyweights but that just isn't true.Everything has changed from training to nutrition to the overall size of the fighter.Guys thast fought at that time that were Wladimir's size were not as good of boxers and were not as fast, that is a fact.The only guy Wladimir has had trouble with in terms of punching power is Corrie Sanders and the other two fights it was just a stamina issue.There wern't many huge punchers with excellent chins, they could either really punch and had a questionable chin or were boxers with little power.Wladimir beats boxers who don't posses huge power and a lot that do as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But he had such a pretty smile
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He would have beaten Norton, Shavers, Quarry and he would probably be too big for Frazier....
    Norton didn't do well against punchers, Shavers lost to nobodies, Quarry was too small to do real damage...not sure about frazier.
    Foreman would have beaten him, and so would of ali
    Frazier beat Buster Mathis, who was 3 inches shorter than Wlad but at least as heavy, and was an outside boxer:

http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=1968&mm=03&dd=04

Mathis: http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=007001

Frazier also handled the much bigger and taller Joe Bugner pretty easily, pinning him to the ropes and landing left hooks and body punches. I doubt that Frazier could have pinned Wladdy to the ropes very easily, but he could have landed his left hook occasionally, and that might have been bad news for Wladdy. If Wladdy clinched like he did against Samuel Peter and the referee allowed it he might win a decision if he didn't get knocked out. It's a tough call.

I agree that Norton might have been in deep trouble against Wladdy. He might have been knocked out before he ever got his own attack going.

I have to agree that Quarry was a bit too small, but Quarry beat Buster Mathis easily. Mathis wasn't a bum either, although I think Wladdy has more skill and more power.

Foreman would have knocked out Wladdy, who doesn't take punches anywhere near as well as Ali did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Ali, Holmes and perhaps Foreman are the only fighters who would stand a realistic chance of beating Wlad. The others are way too small, or far too slow, to stand much of a chance.
    what about Jimmy Young, and The Shavers fight would be like the Brewster fight but I think he could get to Wladimer faster. Wladimer would have beaten Quarry in a tough fight but I think Frazier would reach him with that left hook he reached Ali who isn't as tall but is much better defensively and Foreman may have well killed him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael was (and I suppose is) a lot smarter than Leon. Michael Spinks was 1 of the smartest boxers I ever saw, while Leon looked like a fool in the ring sometimes. It's amazing that they are brothers since their personalities are so different.

However, Leon would have been a very good cruiserweight had there been a cruiserweight division when he started his boxing career. By the time the cruiserweight division was formed Leon was already past his prime, and took a beating from Carlos De Leon and later from Dwight Qawi.

I saw Leon Spinks' fights with Muhammad Ali when they happened, and I must say that Leon looked fabulous in their 1st fight. He couldn't adjust in the ring though, and a washed-up Ali won the rematch.

Thread Information