Thread: So what's great about Canada?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So what's great about Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Molson Ice and Labbat Blue
    I doubt you can get them down in Texas, but Sleemans, Rickards Red, and Alexander Keiths are my favorite Canadian beers from large-scale manufacturers. However, as a rule I try to avoid those types of beer because all the preservatives ruin the taste for me. Okanagan Springs beers are great too, but I think they're more of a micro-brew style, I know they don't put any preservatives in their stuff.
    I'll look around and see about those brands...I do enjoy yalls beer...not so much your whiskey but yall make a hell of an ale
    Not a fan of Rye? I used to drink Crown Royal (and to a lesser extend Jack Daniels, which I know is different) like it was going out of style when I was a kid. Now I stick to vodka, the hangovers are much easier to handle.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well as a one time bartender and liquor snob, I can safely say Crown Royal has pulled the greatest PR ploy in the history of booze. Canadian Whiskey is usually blended and to me lesser quality than single batch. Crown puts it's bottle in a purple velvet bag and has convinced a lot of people it is a top shelf whiskey. It has a very smooth and to ME a rather watered down flavor so it appeals to a lot of drinkers. I do like a rye whiskey from time to time but much prefer a single batch bourbon to a blended whiskey.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GO LEAFS GO ! ! ! !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

I assume you wandered to part of the Downtown East Side. It's not really dangerous at all though, it's just really sad.

As for Vancouver Island, that's where I live and I've never found it to be overly remote. Victoria, the city I live in, has over 300,000 people and Vancouver is about 1.5 - 2 hours away. Some parts of the Island are definitely remote though.
    maybe it wasn't dangerous but I panicked. I can handle 10-15 blokes attacking me no problem but now I'm late 30s I reckon I would have struggled with more than twenty thirty.

Stayed in a place called Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island. Very remote and stank of fish ! Was good for the grizzly tour though and whales etc..
    It's definitely not a nice place, and I understand that it would seem very dangerous to someone not familiar with the area and the circumstance and I certainly wasn't passing judgement on what you said. I was just commenting that, in my and many others experience, it's not a dangerous place per se, just an extremely depressing one. There was a club beneath the notorious Ivanhoe hotel where myself and some friends used to occasionally go to watch metal shows, and aside from having to avoid the discarded needles on the streets we never experienced any danger.

I've never been to Telegraph Cove, but I'd imagine it's a beautiful place. Lots of Black bears and other wild life I'd imagine.
    no probs - didnt think you were passing judgment mate

i was just amazed at how it went in a couple of streets from a really nice area to that - so many people too.

I still say that I have had the best Indian meal ever in Vancouver at Vij's

Went on a boat trip from telepgraph cove to some place where the grizzlies are - was about 2 1/2 hours. Knight's Inlet or something like that ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

maybe it wasn't dangerous but I panicked. I can handle 10-15 blokes attacking me no problem but now I'm late 30s I reckon I would have struggled with more than twenty thirty.

Stayed in a place called Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island. Very remote and stank of fish ! Was good for the grizzly tour though and whales etc..
    It's definitely not a nice place, and I understand that it would seem very dangerous to someone not familiar with the area and the circumstance and I certainly wasn't passing judgement on what you said. I was just commenting that, in my and many others experience, it's not a dangerous place per se, just an extremely depressing one. There was a club beneath the notorious Ivanhoe hotel where myself and some friends used to occasionally go to watch metal shows, and aside from having to avoid the discarded needles on the streets we never experienced any danger.

I've never been to Telegraph Cove, but I'd imagine it's a beautiful place. Lots of Black bears and other wild life I'd imagine.
    no probs - didnt think you were passing judgment mate

i was just amazed at how it went in a couple of streets from a really nice area to that - so many people too.

I still say that I have had the best Indian meal ever in Vancouver at Vij's

Went on a boat trip from telepgraph cove to some place where the grizzlies are - was about 2 1/2 hours. Knight's Inlet or something like that ?
    The Downtown Eastside is a messed up place. It's located downtown (obviously) and between two very popular tourist spots in Chinatown and Gastown, so it's easy enough to stumble in to.

I've never heard of Knight's Inlet, but that doesn't mean much. It would've had to have been somewhere on the Mainland as there are very few grizzlies on the Island. They do periodically swim over though.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vancouver is beautiful.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Vancouver is beautiful.
    Yeahh, Vancouver is indeed beautiful, nestled in between the mountains in the sea. However, having your major population center tucked away in the extreme southwest corner of the province does present certain logistical difficulties. Traffic can be a freaking nightmare.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well as a one time bartender and liquor snob, I can safely say Crown Royal has pulled the greatest PR ploy in the history of booze. Canadian Whiskey is usually blended and to me lesser quality than single batch. Crown puts it's bottle in a purple velvet bag and has convinced a lot of people it is a top shelf whiskey. It has a very smooth and to ME a rather watered down flavor so it appeals to a lot of drinkers. I do like a rye whiskey from time to time but much prefer a single batch bourbon to a blended whiskey.
    To me, there is nothing like a good Talisker, my favorite scotch whiskey and by far. I also dig a lot the Cao Ila or the Laphroaig, some of the finest malts produced in Good ol' Scotland I am not too fan of the Canadian whiskeys neither, we produce some very good rye whiskey over there but to me, it's hard to beat the Scots at that game. Santori makes some quite wicked whiskey too but... Highlands prevail
    As for Vodka, till you haven't drink a Stolichnaya Elit, a Ultimat or an Imperia, there will always lack something in the life of one who loves vodka but haven't tasted these blends
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    GO LEAFS GO ! ! ! !
    Do you know what is the only thing that the Montreal Canadians fan have and that the LEafs don't?

A color picture of the stanley cup. Sorry, don't hate me, it was really just a joke
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL nameless.

You know why they don't drink tea in Toronto?

cause all the cups are in Montreal.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    LOL nameless.

You know why they don't drink tea in Toronto?

cause all the cups are in Montreal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    GO LEAFS GO ! ! ! !
    Do you know what is the only thing that the Montreal Canadians fan have and that the LEafs don't?

A color picture of the stanley cup. Sorry, don't hate me, it was really just a joke

What's the different between a bra and the Calgary Flames?

Bra's have two cups.

As a Canucks fan, I can't really make any of those jokes though...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha, ohh man, it's nice to laugh an have fun about Hockey with some fellow canadians, especially as unusual as it is, on a boxing forum.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha how bout that goofy suit Don Cherry wore for game 1. Sort of an ugly black and white semi-paisley monstrosity. What a maroon.

If you google ten Greatest Canadians, I think Don Cherry is in the top 5

ok google google #3, behind Frederick Banting and Alexander Graham Bell. CBC.ca - The Greatest Canadian - Top Ten Greatest Canadians

only in Canada.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Haha how bout that goofy suit Don Cherry wore for game 1. Sort of an ugly black and white semi-paisley monstrosity. What a maroon.

If you google ten Greatest Canadians, I think Don Cherry is in the top 5

ok google google #3, behind Frederick Banting and Alexander Graham Bell. CBC.ca - The Greatest Canadian - Top Ten Greatest Canadians

only in Canada.
    Yeah. Only in Canada could a borderline racist, ultra-nationalist, senile, loudmouthed windbag ex-hockey coach be rated above the man who facilitated universal health care. And I like Cherry (most of the time).

Thread Information