Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
Anyone who gets lulled in the following Wards style will struggle with him.

Bika pressured him and did well. Even Abraham last night had some success and probably wan the last round. In fact as a training judge I watched the first few rounds and it was hard to score any of them for Ward. You could count on one had for each fighter in the first the amount of scoring blows.

The problem with pro boxing is its interpretation of who does a particular judge think gave the impression he was winning. In the amateurs you count whats scored. Abraham would have done alot better last night with amateur judging.

I think Froch will do very well with Ward and one thing iv noticed with Ward is he gets hit with left hooks quite easy. Iv grown to like Froch as a fighter. I used to think he was a prick. If he can stop trying to load up on one shot and use a bit more speed and sharpness he will make it very difficult for Ward. Froch has very good stamina, hes had some fast paced fights and not slowed down. He is a strong puncher and takes a fair shot. Hes just got to impose himself on Ward and make him run like fuck like he did for the first few rounds last night but unlike Abraham, Froch will benefit from that by getting in to a rythm.

Ward is ugly to watch. Holding is part of his game plan and hes in his 20's! Not some fading name that needs to do that because they cant keep up any more. Froch needs to figure how to fight out of those clinches and not klet Ward clinch to begin with. I think if Kessler could learn that he has it in him to beat Ward.
I'm impressed that you are training to be a judge. That's badass man!

Ward uses range really well it appears. He's faster than Froch and he doesn't slow down for 12 rounds. It's very tough to hit Ward generally and I'm not sure Froch is fast enough to hit Ward. You mentioned that Froch has good stamina. I actually disagree to an extent. Froch lost the Kessler fight because he took off too many rounds. Froch will be Ward's toughest fight to date, but Ward should go into it as the favorite. I should note that I'm still not completely sold that Froch gets by Glenn Johnson.
It makes the fights less entertaining, well the ones you are judging. If you start just watching the fight, you lose what your there for.

Rewatch the Ward Abraham fight with a pencil in each hand, say a red and blue one, now designate a colour to each fighter, Red for Ward seeing as hes champ. Now watch the fight and only make a mark for a fighter when he lands the knuckle part of the glove with force on the scoring area. Also, dont score what might have landed, only score what you see clearly connect, which is why the 3 judges in amateur sit on 3 different sides of the ring. One might see something the other doesnt, as there is no rule saying the boxers must move all around the ring during the entire fight, they might fight off the ropes directly in front of one judge the entire fight and he will not see much landing at all.Then at the end of the fight, simply add up the marks. I think it would look closer, the first few rounds for sure. In amateur boxing you might lose the first 2 rounds but score so many shots in the third you take the fight. Its a simpler and id say better and fairer way to score fights. A little rage finder jab that is just pawed or flicked out but lands wouldnt count. Alot of Shane Mosleys shoe shine combinations wouldnt count.