Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: fighters that you thought would do greats things but never quite made it

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: fighters that you thought would do greats things but never quite made it

Quote Originally Posted by motorcitycobra
    what about Ike Ibeachi? (some one correct the spelling) he was a mean SOB think he could a done much more if not for his jail term.
    I initially thought of Ike since he was probably the Hottest Heavyweight prospect since Tyson, but its not like Ike failed to be great in the ring, he failed at the fundamentals of life which caused his demise and fall short of realizing Heavyweight greatness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: fighters that you thought would do greats things but never quite made it

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcitycobra
    what about Ike Ibeachi? (some one correct the spelling) he was a mean SOB think he could a done much more if not for his jail term.
    I initially thought of Ike since he was probably the Hottest Heavyweight prospect since Tyson, but its not like Ike failed to be great in the ring, he failed at the fundamentals of life which caused his demise and fall short of realizing Heavyweight greatness
    In away you could say the say same for Tyson, i know he achieved greatness but he could have done more if he would have succeeded at the fundamentals of life which caused his demise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc thanks for the correction ICB

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Hate this kind of topic....

Francisco Bojado
    Spadafora
    'Mi Vida Loca' Tapia
    Gabriel & Rafael Ruelas

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Howard Eastman. If there is a more frustrating boxer out there someone let me know who he is.

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Bentt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    Howard Eastman. If there is a more frustrating boxer out there someone let me know who he is.

dead right how frustrating was the Joppy fight?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    One of the best examples has to be Davey Moore. A boy wonder, world champ after just 10 fights at the age of 23.

He faced Roberto Duran in his fourth defense, got knocked out then just wasn't the same fighter. Washed up just a few years later, never got another sniff at a title and died in an accident in 1988 aged 29

One of boxing's saddest stories.
    davey moore reminds me of david reid there career took near enough same path
    I agree. I've noticed the similarites between them as well. David Reid looked to be something. Till the Tito fight ruined him.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ed Hopson (great hand speed)

Kelcie Banks (So much skills, no results)

Francisco Bojado
    Spadafora
    'Mi Vida Loca' Tapia
    Gabriel & Rafael Ruelas
    Tapia? Really. He did a lot in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    One of the best examples has to be Davey Moore. A boy wonder, world champ after just 10 fights at the age of 23.

He faced Roberto Duran in his fourth defense, got knocked out then just wasn't the same fighter. Washed up just a few years later, never got another sniff at a title and died in an accident in 1988 aged 29

I agree. I've noticed the similarites between them as well. David Reid looked to be something. Till the Tito fight ruined him.
    There are no similarities between them. And I have no idea why people say Trinidad ruined Reid. It's so untrue. The Trinidad fight was a cash out fight for Reid. His eye lid problem was never going to go away. And Reid had already been struggling defending his title against average competition. So the Trinidad fight was made to allow Reid a million dollar paycheck. Trinidad gave Reid a bad beating. But he didn't ruin him. The eye lid problem ruined him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

meldrick taylor

fernando vargas

herol graham

vargas did some good shit. he was the youngest jr middleweight champ ever if im not mistaken and he has one a handful of world titles. i would say he went pretty far...as far as he could; he just had some stiff competition a la oscar, trinidad and mosley.

Meldrick Taylor yeah he was just never the same after the Chavez fight.

I wanna say Tyson just cause I know he coulda done so much more if he had kept his head screwed on straight.

Audley Harrison is a big let down.

Razor Ruddock pre-Lennox Lewis

Riddick Bowe.

Tommy Morrison...too bad he couldnt keep it in his pants. retiring at 27 and now coming back man that's a lot of time to lose over a piece of pussy.

Roy Jones...no wait. that guy's fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good thread, I have some more nominations:

Mark Breland

Duane Bobick

Don Curry

Adrian Dodson

Randy Turpin

Harry Wills (for those of you that can remember the 1920's)
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Ed Hopson (great hand speed)

Kelcie Banks (So much skills, no results)

Francisco Bojado
    Spadafora
    'Mi Vida Loca' Tapia
    Gabriel & Rafael Ruelas
    Tapia? Really. He did a lot in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk

There are no similarities between them. And I have no idea why people say Trinidad ruined Reid. It's so untrue. The Trinidad fight was a cash out fight for Reid. His eye lid problem was never going to go away. And Reid had already been struggling defending his title against average competition. So the Trinidad fight was made to allow Reid a million dollar paycheck. Trinidad gave Reid a bad beating. But he didn't ruin him. The eye lid problem ruined him.
    there is vd if you see mate

After two more wins, he faced former world champion Simon Brown, knocking him out in four rounds on June 27, at Reid's hometown. On October 24, he claimed his first belt, defeating James Cocker by a twelve round unanimous decision, to win the WBC's continental Americas Jr. Middleweight title.

After that victory, he was deemed as ready for a world title try by his management team, and so, on March 6, 1999, Reid became a world champion in only his tenth professional bout (making him one of the boxers to win a world title in the fastest time, also like the second Davey Moore), by beating WBA world junior middleweight champion Laurent Boudouani by a twelve round unanimous decision in Atlantic City.

Reid defend his title against a veteran like Trinidad in only his twelfth professional bout, a fact that reminded many of the case of the second Davey Moore 17 years before, when he defended the same WBA Jr, Middleweight title, in only his thirteenth bout, against the far more experienced, Roberto Duran.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddavestafford
    meldrick taylor

fernando vargas

herol graham

vargas did some good S***. he was the youngest jr middleweight champ ever if im not mistaken and he has one a handful of world titles. i would say he went pretty far...as far as he could; he just had some stiff competition a la oscar, trinidad and mosley.

Meldrick Taylor yeah he was just never the same after the Chavez fight.

I wanna say Tyson just cause I know he coulda done so much more if he had kept his head screwed on straight.

Audley Harrison is a big let down.

Razor Ruddock pre-Lennox Lewis

Riddick Bowe.

Tommy Morrison...too bad he couldnt keep it in his pants. retiring at 27 and now coming back man that's a lot of time to lose over a piece of pussy.

Roy Jones...no wait. that guy's F****** awesome.

vargas didnt do as good as people thought though because he was rushed into big fights yes he won title but he still good of been whole lot better

meldrick taylor had quickest hands ive ever seen he could of been a great but he brawled too much and didnt use his excellent skills enough what cost him

i think after mercer beat him no one thought he would do great things because of his soft chin

razor ruddock well i dunno about people thinking he would do great things he was hard hitter had decent chin and had good heart but after both of tyson losses he proved he had good heart and good chin and ect but also proved he would never quite make it at top level and lewis certainly proved that after battering him in 2

agreed about bowe he could of been all time great in that era shame he loved food too much also he could of fought ray mercer all mercer had to do was get past jesse ferguson but was outboxed over 10 rounds and it never happened i also heard he was going to fight lewis after mccall but again lewis was koed in 2 and again he was going to fight tyson after golota and we know what happened there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Francisco Bojado
    Spadafora
    'Mi Vida Loca' Tapia
    Gabriel & Rafael Ruelas
    Spadafora was great..Shot his girlfriend or something didnt he?

Gabriel looked great on his comeback against gatti but got ko'd.. Before that didnt one of his opponents die? Fighters are never the same after something like that..

Is spadafora still defeated now?.. I think he made a small time comeback recentley?!
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meldrick Taylor - after the chaves fight, forget it

JT- yeah he's the champ, yeah he's undefeated but i expected so much more like his improvements in the ring. don't know for some reason just doesn't do it for me.

Joel Julio - i know HBO had high hopes for him

Terry Norris - man this guy was something but what happened to all those mega fights that could have happened and never did?
    Hidden Content It's Good To Be Back!! Hidden Content

Thread Information