Thread: Wal-Mart $19.99 boxing gloves?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wal-Mart $19.99 boxing gloves?

thanks for the advice, you're so helpful

What other types of body shots are good? I don't really know how to do straight shots to the body, I only can think of hooks... When I try to hit the bag with a straight punch lower on the bag, it feels very awkward, especially since the bag is hard as a rock down there. I can manage to hit it with a right hook but you said that's not a very safe punch right?

As for the fist thing... When I first got the bag Sunday a week and a day ago, I hit it without gloves for a few minutes I learned a painful lesson... I tore off a piece of skin from my middle finger knuckle, a round piece of skin about 1/2" around, I hit the bag with a right hook on the firm bottom of the bag and the skin grabbed onto the vinyl and tore right off, I was bleeding

It is healing slowly due to me hitting the bag every day. I know it was a stupid thing to do... I didn't think you needed bag gloves...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbore
    thanks for the advice, you're so helpfulÂ

What other types of body shots are good? I don't really know how to do straight shots to the body, I only can think of hooks... When I try to hit the bag with a straight punch lower on the bag, it feels very awkward, especially since the bag is hard as a rock down there. I can manage to hit it with a right hook but you said that's not a very safe punch right?

As for the fist thing... When I first got the bag Sunday a week and a day ago, I hit it without gloves for a few minutes  I learned a painful lesson... I tore off a piece of skin from my middle finger knuckle, a round piece of skin about 1/2" around, I hit the bag with a right hook on the firm bottom of the bag and the skin grabbed onto the vinyl and tore right off, I was bleedingÂ

It is healing slowly due to me hitting the bag every day.
    well there are 4 types of punches (mainly, but several different versions of each)
    jab, cross, hook, uppercut

straight shots are very effective to the body
    jab to hold them still (or to keep them at distance, break rythum, etc), crosses are used to hurt them. body shots will be very effective if you are sparring a novice because they will only block their face and their arms arent use to the motion of coming down and blocking so they will be easy to hit there

in close (or while moving in) hooks are great to the body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the straight shots may feel akward to the body because you arent getting enough distance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum
    the straight shots may feel akward to the body because you arent getting enough distance

Yeah and it feels like I have no leverage. What should I do with my hips, shoulders, and other hand when I throw a straight shot to the body?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah and it feels like I have no leverage. What should I do with my hips, shoulders, and other hand when I throw a straight shot to the body?
    this is really hard to explain without showing you in person or without you watching the pros do it.
    but just some things i can think of that most people make mistakes on

first it depends on the angle(that you and your opponent are set up at)
    but always get the proper distance and make sure that you are low enough so your punching at a good angle with your arm
    also jabs and crosses go to the middle part of the stomach (or close to it) if you are at a angle where you land to the ribs and arent set up correctly you can hurt you wrists (kind of like on the heavybag)

not to sound cocky or anything but it is hard for me to explain because it comes natural to me and i dont have to think about some of these things you have asked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm... You mention that you need to be low enough to hit a straight shot to the body, right?

Well this is not something I have been doing, I have been standing up straight when I try to punch straight to the body. Maybe this is why it feels crazy? Do I need to kinda hunker down lower first before I throw one of those punches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm... You mention that you need to be low enough to hit a straight shot to the body, right?

Well this is not something I have been doing, I have been standing up straight when I try to punch straight to the body. Maybe this is why it feels crazy? Do I need to kinda hunker down lower first before I throw one of those punches?
    how many professional fights have you watched?

and be honest I am not here to make fun of you

you defintly cant throw a punch to the body standing as high up as you do to the head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only a handful. They aren't on TV very much but now they have Friday Night Fights... I watched some old fight between Cassius Clay and some other guy last Friday.

Right after that I watched I think 3 men and women's fights but I don't remember how they did their body punches. I guess I need to pay more attention... I mostly remember what they did when going for the head shots. Maybe it's harder to see what they are doing when they do body hits?

The last fight I saw was between 2 guys, one was Oliverio I think and the other was Agustus or something like that... Oliverio got hit in the head a lot and was showing signs of brain damage I think at the end of the fight... did anyone else see that one?

Anyway can I buy tapes to watch somewhere?

Also what's a good way to get used to keeping the proper distance when punching so that you hit your opponent effectively? I notice my nephew when he hits the heavy bag, he keeps moving in close when he throws a punch so his arms never extend when he punches. I think he's losing a lot of power this way, his punches sound so weak on the bag, almost like he's pushing it instead of hitting it. I'm sure I do it too sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only a handful. They aren't on TV very much but now they have Friday Night Fights... I watched some old fight between Cassius Clay and some other guy last Friday.

Right after that I watched I think 3 men and women's fights but I don't remember how they did their body punches. I guess I need to pay more attention... I mostly remember what they did when going for the head shots. Maybe it's harder to see what they are doing when they do body hits?

The last fight I saw was between 2 guys, one was Oliverio I think and the other was Agustus or something like that... Oliverio got hit in the head a lot and was showing signs of brain damage I think at the end of the fight... did anyone else see that one?

well not to be sexest but dont watch women for help. the top female boxers are on a lower level in talent and skill. and ali didnt punch that much to the body. Ive watched this for years and you learned how to break it down and what to look for.

I will be sending you a video of Floyd Mayweather in a Private message so check them (ask if you need help) and dont want to be rude, but will you computer play it? I have a cable connection and it still takes a while download it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only a handful. They aren't on TV very much but now they have Friday Night Fights... I watched some old fight between Cassius Clay and some other guy last Friday.

Right after that I watched I think 3 men and women's fights but I don't remember how they did their body punches. I guess I need to pay more attention... I mostly remember what they did when going for the head shots. Maybe it's harder to see what they are doing when they do body hits?

Also what's a good way to get used to keeping the proper distance when punching so that you hit your opponent effectively? I notice my nephew when he hits the heavy bag, he keeps moving in close when he throws a punch so his arms never extend when he punches. I think he's losing a lot of power this way, his punches sound so weak on the bag, almost like he's pushing it instead of hitting it. I'm sure I do it too sometimes.
    just seen the rest of your post since the edit.

Olivera and Agustus. I fell asleep but I have seen both of them fight several times. Olivera turned out to have a pinched nerve and will be ok if you wanted to know.

just practice getting full extension on your punches. thats the best way. you said you were doing four rounds on the bag and you just started. always learn something before you go into on that level. going at full speed and doing four rounds on a bag without really knowing what to do is a good way to form bad habits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK I'll watch the video / videos whenever you send them, thanks! They should play fine on this computer.

I'm glad to hear Olivera was OK, poor guy. Was it just me or did his punches not have any sting to them? Like he was just pawing at Agustus most of the time... too tired or what? Also I saw a couple times Olivera would get Agustus against the ropes and be jabbing away at him while Agustus would lean back and seem to be laughing at him as if to say "Look at this silly guy punching away at me with no effect!" Also the way Olivera made the "pshh" noise every time he punched seemed funny.

My impression (though I probably don't know what I'm talking about ) was it looked to me like Olivera just kept throwing the same jabs all the time and they didn't have any sting to them and most of them were blocked by Agustus, while it seemed Agustus hit Olivera a lot but didn't have the power to knock him out... What do you think?

I didn't like Augstus's dancing by the way But I liked his combinations.

Also I found out I can find Mexican boxing on TV more often It's in Spanish but I speak Spanish too so it's OK... I like watching those skinny lightweight guys go for 10 rounds like the Energizer Bunny never getting tired, it would seem... I really like watching boxing, I just haven't seen more than a few fights becuase I JUST got interested in it recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK I'll watch the video / videos whenever you send them, thanks! They should play fine on this computer.

I'm glad to hear Olivera was OK, poor guy. Was it just me or did his punches not have any sting to them? Like he was just pawing at Agustus most of the time... too tired or what?

My impression (though I probably don't know what I'm talking about ) was it looked to me like Olivera just kept throwing the same jabs all the time and they didn't have any sting to them and most of them were blocked by Agustus, while it seemed Agustus hit Olivera a lot but didn't have the power to knock him out... What do you think?

I didn't like Augstus's dancing by the way  But I liked his combinations.
    Olivera is a guy who throws 100 punches a round and doesnt reallyhit that hard. but he is getting older an less-efffective. It could have been so many things including the head injury.

i didnt see the fight so i cant say. but i know how they fight and have seen sgustus' dancing.

the jab is also used to control movement and that could be why he threw so many to control agustus more as I am sure he was the freher fight and oliver likes to have you right in front of him.

check you messages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh... re: the jab controlling movement... yeah I remember the commentators said something like Olivera was jabbing a lot to keep Agustus nailed down so he wouldn't move around so much, since he's good at moving around all crazy... Something like that... They also said Olivera was no good at angles, only at coming straight at his opponent...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh... re: the jab controlling movement... yeah I remember the commentators said something like Olivera was jabbing a lot to keep Agustus nailed down so he wouldn't move around so much, since he's good at moving around all crazy... Something like that... They also said Olivera was no good at angles, only at coming straight at his opponent...
    olivera also really only throws jabs and crosses.

the reason he is a decent fighter and good enough to be on tv is because of his workrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK I'll watch the video / videos whenever you send them, thanks! They should play fine on this computer.

I'm glad to hear Olivera was OK, poor guy. Was it just me or did his punches not have any sting to them? Like he was just pawing at Agustus most of the time... too tired or what? Also I saw a couple times Olivera would get Agustus against the ropes and be jabbing away at him while Agustus would lean back and seem to be laughing at him as if to say "Look at this silly guy punching away at me with no effect!" Also the way Olivera made the "pshh" noise every time he punched seemed funny.

My impression (though I probably don't know what I'm talking about ) was it looked to me like Olivera just kept throwing the same jabs all the time and they didn't have any sting to them and most of them were blocked by Agustus, while it seemed Agustus hit Olivera a lot but didn't have the power to knock him out... What do you think?

I didn't like Augstus's dancing by the way  But I liked his combinations.

Also I found out I can find Mexican boxing on TV more often  It's in Spanish but I speak Spanish too so it's OK... I like watching those skinny lightweight guys go for 10 rounds like the Energizer Bunny never getting tired, it would seem...  I really like watching boxing, I just haven't seen more than a few fights becuase I JUST got interested in it recently.
    go to fightnews to get a schedule of fights that will be on tv

with experience and knowledge of fighting you will learn that the middle divisions require the most skill.

Thread Information