Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kovalev v Shabranskyy~ Gamboa v Sosa..HBO trilple header.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kovalev v Shabranskyy~ Gamboa v Sosa..HBO trilple header.

LHW is a pretty deep division. I’m glad to see that Kovalev looked like his old self. There are many fighters that he can fight. He doesn’t need another tune up. He needs to fight the best.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    LHW is a pretty deep division. I’m glad to see that Kovalev looked like his old self. There are many fighters that he can fight. He doesn’t need another tune up. He needs to fight the best.
    Yea I don't think he needs another tune up. Kov seems the sort of fighter to seek out the challenges, so fingers crossed.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just shows how great Ward is to come from 168 and fight the best at 175 and leave the sport undefeated.

Kovalev can now pick up the crumbs.

I like Kovalev but the fact he just could not accept he was outclassed by Ward is just Sour grapes.

Froch hates Ward but at least he is very honest in being beaten by the better man.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Just shows how great Ward is to come from 168 and fight the best at 175 and leave the sport undefeated.

Kovalev can now pick up the crumbs.

I like Kovalev but the fact he just could not accept he was outclassed by Ward is just Sour grapes.

Froch hates Ward but at least he is very honest in being beaten by the better man.
    Your love of Ward and Floyd is sickening.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's a terrible decision.
    Spent 3 rounds on the phone and still had Sosa winning.
    Honestly felt Sosa did not do enough to win and there were a ton of close rounds. That point deduction in the last round was bogus and hbo were anti Gamboa all night. Was happy with the decision.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Honestly felt Sosa did not do enough to win and there were a ton of close rounds. That point deduction in the last round was bogus and hbo were anti Gamboa all night. Was happy with the decision.
    The best I could see for Gamboa was a draw and that is being generous and giving him all the close rounds. That 96-92 card for Gamboa is terrible. 96-93 Sosa is what I had.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gamboa got the decision but Sosa could have got the nod it was not a bad fight to watch two former Champs facing each other good to see.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh honestly need a rewatch. Gamboa boxed early but body language is terrible late, definitely had Sosa late with 7,8,9,10 and two of those 2 point rounds. That's 94 right there and not even judging 5th or 6th. Wouldn't call them total anti Gamboa affording a Golden Boy promoted guy in with fresh multi fight contract such a premier spot last minute.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Gamboa really shouldn't have won... I think you could have it 5-5 in rounds at best for gamboa but he had two points taken away not added :S... Bad decision for me, Gamboa looked uncomfortable from the second round on, he started well but sosa looked well in control...

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kovalev looked very good. Think his opponent was an obvious level down though. It will be interesting to see how Kovalev plays out his career now. A sneaky part of me still wants to see him KO Andre Ward, but Ward knows he cheated and rode his luck.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think there is a fairly Good chance ward will make a comeback, I think Ward is great but I don't think he wants to take on all of the current wave of Russian destroyers that are coming up in the lhw division or take on the standard contenders . I think he will wait it out a bit and see how beterbiev and bivol do v kovalev and then take on the winner of all of them in what he hopes will be a superfight. I don't think Ward made that much money in his career (relatively speaking of course).

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly think Ward is done. He doesn’t strike me as someone who will comeback. He has talked about retiring early for years. It’s good and bad though. Good because it opens the division up and allows them to fight each other to prove who is the best. Bad because Ward could have proven how good he was by beating them all.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see the potential for both scenarios playing out. Ward can rest on the sidelines until someone emerges as the man of the division and then return for a big fight. I can also see him being content in retirement and not wanting to ruin his unbeaten record. It really depends on how big a fight is available I guess. By 2019 we should have a better idea of the light-heavy landscape.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ref did Gamboa a favor every time he told him not to hold. Gamboa would just catch Sosa coming with those t-rex punches and then bolt. I still dont think it earned him the fight. Sosa was no marvel but you can tell him crowding Gamboa was just wearing him down and making him work when he didn't feel like it. Gamboa getting gifted the decision makes him an option for Loma or Rigo should anyone drop out.

The Barrera fight was just super sloppy and I figured we'd see Barrera get sharper by this point but i think he's probably topped out or this trainer isn't really teaching him much.

Kovalex looked a little cold at first and like he was shaking off some early nerves. Once he let his hands go, Shabransky was in mental shock after the first knock down and never quite settled in. I cringed when Shabransky was frozen with that one shot like he was waiting for a mortal kombat fatality and Kovalev closed in. Kov did seem to show some mercy on the final knockdown with some half pulled shots while Shabransky was accordion-ing on the final knockdown. I have to see how Kov progresses under the new trainer, the pre fight mitt work looked rather crude but we have to see the gym work. Barreras doesn't seem to like the money for a kovalev bout but may warm up to it after his fight...
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information