Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: MMA bigger than Boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB
    Ive watched alot of UFC over the last year and more.
    Unless fighters are going toe to toe with punches it is complete boring crap.

I heard about this Matt Hughes guy and when i watched him like alot of them they roll around the ground like gay boys

too boring for me

if MMA fans want to argue their case they are on the wrong website
    Not for nothing man but if theres a link on the forum it must be welcome...theres no link that says idiots not need post either but we put up with it........Bottom line BOXING IS A MARTIAL ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I study in Jeet Kune Do now as anyone knows it is Bruce Lee's system There are 4 different ranges of combat 1 Boxing 2 Trapping 3 Kicking 4 Grappling,Bruce Lee had the ut most respect for Boxing and what a practical art it is but like most MA's it is a incomplete system for street combat since it cant defend against the other ranges of combat

if you can do Jeet Kune Do than you have a good base to train and compete in MMA...Entertainment value is subjective and I respect that but to be closed minded about it is ridiculous I love boxing and will watch just about any bout and would consider my self a fanatic of sorts and have been for over 20 years...But let the truth be told if you drop a pure boxer in a cage with a mixed martial artist and tell them to fight of course the boxers gonna get his a$ kicked same as you put them in a ring and tell have them just box the boxer would have the advantage...They are both awsome sports and should be respected for what they bring to the table...Now cosider this if you drop them in a pit to fight for there life's the boxer would get killed since it is an incomplete system and cannot defend a Thai leg kick,takedowns submissions.. GAY BOYS? I dont think so it takes a high level of tactical intelligence to adjust and to adapt to your opponent.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First amd foremost, let me say that I am and always will be a boxing fan. I started out training and competing in boxing. That being said, I am also a MMA fan. I have trained in both sports. How many people can say that? The simple fact is that in a REAL fight (the kind where you are fighting for your LIFE) the MMA guy kicks the SH*T out of the boxer 95% of the time. Somebody said "all you have to do is take a boxer and teach him how to defend a couple taekdowns and submissions." Yeah, right, bub. Keep telling yourself that. Boxers, as a general rule, do tend to be in better physical condition, I agree. But conditioning tends to fade real fast when you have to carry not only your body weight, but the weight of the guy you are fighting as well. Also, boxers have no idea what is coming when fighting an MMA guy. The MMA guy on the otherhand has trained in boxing. He doesn't need to be the superior boxer, just good enough to get inside wehre he can wrap the boxer up. Then, it's nighty night for most any boxer.

I do agree that submisisons are not as cool to watch as somebody getting KO'd, but what percentage of boxing matches actually end in a KO?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i might sound a bit prehistoric but MMA really does nothing for me.....boxing is the bees knees for me...nothing touches boxing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't get it..this thread asks is mma bigger than boxing? and the answer is a very very simple big asssed "NO"....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    First amd foremost, let me say that I am and always will be a boxing fan. I started out training and competing in boxing. That being said, I am also a MMA fan. I have trained in both sports. How many people can say that? The simple fact is that in a REAL fight (the kind where you are fighting for your LIFE) the MMA guy kicks the SH*T out of the boxer 95% of the time. Somebody said "all you have to do is take a boxer and teach him how to defend a couple taekdowns and submissions." Yeah, right, bub. Keep telling yourself that. Boxers, as a general rule, do tend to be in better physical condition, I agree. But conditioning tends to fade real fast when you have to carry not only your body weight, but the weight of the guy you are fighting as well. Also, boxers have no idea what is coming when fighting an MMA guy. The MMA guy on the otherhand has trained in boxing. He doesn't need to be the superior boxer, just good enough to get inside wehre he can wrap the boxer up. Then, it's nighty night for most any boxer.

I do agree that submisisons are not as cool to watch as somebody getting KO'd, but what percentage of boxing matches actually end in a KO?
    Good post man I couldnt agree more I have trained in both there are a lot more variatables involved in a mma fight then boxing

Again you have to adapt and adjust constantly in mma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can agree that boxing is still the bigger of the two sports.  For how much longer is the real question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personnally if I have a choice between the two I would much rather watch boxing. I have a lot of respect for the MMA guys, it takes a lot of guts to get into any shaped ring for the purpose of attempting to beat the crap out of someone else. But as far as just a visual medium boxing is better for me.

You can not compare boxing and MMA fighters, its apples and oranges. Of course the MMA fighter would win 95% of the time vs a boxer, it is a completely different format if they were to fight in an empty field.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather
    i don't get it..this thread asks is mma bigger than boxing? and the answer is a very very simple big asssed "NO"....
    Good point indeed again I understand entertainment value is subjective I love boxing to death myself...I just get all cranked up when people ignorantly disrespect MMA fight style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't think anybody is disrespecting MMA...i just think that mma followers seem to forget that just because a man can box that must mean that's all he can do....

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus

MMA fights rarely last as long as a boxing match...they always tap out or some shat...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MMA fights rarely last as long as a boxing match...they always tap out or some shat...
    Given the state of "judging" in boxing these days, I'll take that as a complement. Fighters finishing fights...WOW what a novel concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it might actually be good that MMA fights don't last as long because...I've seen a few of the fights go the distance and the judges really screwed up...besides only a diehard fan wants to see that hugging and wrestling shit all day...

MMA fighters might beat up a boxer in a pit...but when it's over i'm sure the boxers huge bank account will help soothe those wounds...and the MMA fighter can finish fighting in the cage for scraps like a dog....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did I strike a nerve with somebody?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you didn't strike a nerve...i just don't see the point in the entire who would beat up who argument...that reason of the thread...

And they both have benefits...some of you think MMA fighters would win...if that's fact..then its also fact that the boxer will have a lot of money to get over his ass whooping..soo MMA is almost pointless because they kick the shat shit out of each other for peanuts....

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think anyone would argue the financial part. The top guys in Pride I would guess pull in the several hundred thousand per fight which isn't close to the championship paychecks of boxings top guys...but I'd be curious if you got rid of the top and bottom 10% earners of each sport if the average salary of the typical pro boxer and mma isn't pretty similar?
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt that boxers are raking in the dough. However, recently, pay checks of UFC fighters have increased.

Pride fighters get paid a lot more than UFC. Fun fact: Their Heavyweight champion Fedor rakes in a little over a million per fight. As the sport gets bigger, the pay checks will increase, just like any other sport or TV show. As popularity ensues, the cash money will increase.

As for the Vitor Belfort boxing record, I was a little generous when I gave him a top ten ranking. I'm not sure on his actual record. Boxingrec.com said he only had one fight, however, I know thats wrong because I've seen three of his fights. He be good.

The boxing process has slowed down, while MMA has been speeding up.

Thread Information