Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin v Daniel Jacobs - 18/3/17 MSG

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I just rewatched Jacobs/Pirog and thought Jacobs was winning the fight up until the stoppage and the stoppage was pretty dodgy. Jacobs was trying to get up and the ref pretty much just held him to the ground and stopped the count. Jacobs was shouting 'I'm okay' with some justifiable anger. Obviously not a man completely knocked from his senses. Jacobs is thought to be chinny because of that, but he would have continued and who knows? In the previous round Jacobs landed 3 times as many shots as Pirog and Lederman gave Pirog the round. Go figure. Jacobs is alright, but Golovkin is a monster. I'm supporting Jacobs.
    Jacobs was also dropped by Mora where I feel the chinny stuff gets substance. Fact was Jacobs was dropped hard by Pirog. Sure the ref might have called it of early but we never saw what Jacobs looked like while standing. You could compare it to Froch/ Groves II where Groves fell awkwardly and it was stopped. Personally I don't think Pirog was that big a puncher. Jacobs' chin is very shaky in my opinion.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Well the last fight out was not very impressive for me Brooke was giving GGG a lot more problems then i would of thought. Jacobs got a lot of speed to him and is good sized dude a long with good wins should be a good fight.
    Was that more to the fact that GGG knew Brook was coming up in weight and may not have been able to hurt him like a natural middleweight would have? He did the same with Monroe. When Golovkin faces an opponent who can potentially hurt him (Lemieux, Stevens etc) his defense although spotty is usually on point.
    I really do not know i am just saying that Jacobs can bang and he can box and has speed to go with it. He is about 10 x better then anyone i seen GGG with Brook being best talent so far i am looking forward to this fight big time.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the last fight out was not very impressive for me Brooke was giving GGG a lot more problems then i would of thought. Jacobs got a lot of speed to him and is good sized dude a long with good wins should be a good fight.
    Was that more to the fact that GGG knew Brook was coming up in weight and may not have been able to hurt him like a natural middleweight would have? He did the same with Monroe. When Golovkin faces an opponent who can potentially hurt him (Lemieux, Stevens etc) his defense although spotty is usually on point.
    I really do not know i am just saying that Jacobs can bang and he can box and has speed to go with it. He is about 10 x better then anyone i seen GGG with Brook being best talent so far i am looking forward to this fight big time.
    I'm with ya. Most of us feel this is one of his biggest tests. Lemieux would have to up there. Murray. Brook. How would everyone see Lemieux/ Jacobs going?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with ya. Most of us feel this is one of his biggest tests. Lemieux would have to up there. Murray. Brook. How would everyone see Lemieux/ Jacobs going?
    Eh i am sure that fight is going happen soon enough so i just wait and see that. I am just glad i have a fight to look forward to in 160 division been looking kinda bland lately which is nothing new with history that it has had.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eh i am sure that fight is going happen soon enough so i just wait and see that. I am just glad i have a fight to look forward to in 160 division been looking kinda bland lately which is nothing new with history that it has had.
    The thing is many say Jacobs is going to be GGG's toughest test. Personally I see Jacobs/ Lemieux as 50/ 50. So I have to consider Lemieux around the same level.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just rewatched Jacobs/Pirog and thought Jacobs was winning the fight up until the stoppage and the stoppage was pretty dodgy. Jacobs was trying to get up and the ref pretty much just held him to the ground and stopped the count. Jacobs was shouting 'I'm okay' with some justifiable anger. Obviously not a man completely knocked from his senses. Jacobs is thought to be chinny because of that, but he would have continued and who knows? In the previous round Jacobs landed 3 times as many shots as Pirog and Lederman gave Pirog the round. Go figure. Jacobs is alright, but Golovkin is a monster. I'm supporting Jacobs.
    Jacobs was also dropped by Mora where I feel the chinny stuff gets substance. Fact was Jacobs was dropped hard by Pirog. Sure the ref might have called it of early but we never saw what Jacobs looked like while standing. You could compare it to Froch/ Groves II where Groves fell awkwardly and it was stopped. Personally I don't think Pirog was that big a puncher. Jacobs' chin is very shaky in my opinion.
    He was dropped like a ton of bricks, but he was arguing logically against the ref within seconds and recovered his senses enough to do an interview. It was hardly a Williams/Hatton type of KO, he was willing to beat the count, though in what state is up in the air like you suggest. Jacobs was winning that fight quite handily, though Pirog was making it awkward for him. Maybe his chin isn't good and no better way to test it than against GGG. Jacobs has the tools to win rounds, but sustaining it against GGG who is a league above what Pirog was is another question.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was dropped like a ton of bricks, but he was arguing logically against the ref within seconds and recovered his senses enough to do an interview. It was hardly a Williams/Hatton type of KO, he was willing to beat the count, though in what state is up in the air like you suggest. Jacobs was winning that fight quite handily, though Pirog was making it awkward for him. Maybe his chin isn't good and no better way to test it than against GGG. Jacobs has the tools to win rounds, but sustaining it against GGG who is a league above what Pirog was is another question.
    Interested to know who you'd favor in a Jacobs/ Lemieux clash? The thing for me is that we have seen GGG take punches and barely flinch. Lemieux hit him a number of times in their bout. Brook, Munroe landed clean also. He reminds me of the terminator. (I know that's a bit overboard) but he just keeps coming. Jacobs on the other hand has shown vulnerabilities and his chin is a liability that you can't afford to have against Golovkin. In truth I'm hoping for a Hagler/ Hearns type brawl for 3 to 5 rounds with both guys throwing caution to the wind and unloading bombs until one is separated from his senses.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Jacobs has been hurt and put down then that spells trouble for him against GGG. It could be a short night.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LIVE: Watch GGG v Jacobs weigh-in at 1pm

LIVE: Watch GGG v Jacobs weigh-in at 1pm

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant see anything other than a systematic beatdown by Golovkin.

He wont walk at him face first like he did with Brook and others. He'll give Jacobs the respect he gave Lemieux and dish out a one sided hammering.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gennady Golovkin: 159.6 lbs
    Daniel Jacobs: 159.8 lbs

Why's the weigh-in so early (completely out the loop with boxing this week, got shitloads of stuff saved to vids/pods/read)?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Why's the weigh-in so early (completely out the loop with boxing this week, got shitloads of stuff saved to vids/pods/read)?
    If GGG was fighting Canelo then I would understand it as it gives the Mexican time to put back on his weight but it should make little difference to both fighters.

Unless it is to maximise public interest.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Exactly. this is very interesting. This weigh in was held about about at least 6-8 hours earlier than the usual weigh in. Presumably it would benefit Jacobs who had to lose almost 8lbs in the last 7 days and is the bigger guy. It could benefit GGG too but he's probably only going back up maybe 8-9lbs. (His same day weigh in for Lemieux was 168.2). The Jacobs camp said they "wanted to come in heavy". Theres another weigh in tomorrow at 9am to make sure neither guy has put on more than 10 lbs. Jacobs has started rehydrating and then after that weigh in tomorrow, jacobs can start eating his way back up till about maybe 4pm if he does't want to feel bloated and lethargic.

Here's the official reason on the early weigh in: "The Golovkin-Jacobs weigh-in was scheduled for 9 a.m. Friday largely because the New York State Athletic Commission must regulate another show Friday night in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Irish Olympian Michael Conlan’s pro debut will be the main event of that card, which will be promoted by Top Rank Inc. and televised on delay by UniMas (11 p.m. ET/PT)"
    source: Sanchez: Early Weigh-In Friday Isn't an Advantage For Jacobs - Boxing News
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight can not come fast enough last time i was this hyped for 160 it was when Pavlik won the title. This has the making a good fight lets just hope it looks as good as it does on paper and should be better.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread Information