60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kessler offers Calzaghe $3,4 mill

Quote Originally Posted by dumdane
    Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    But still, if he goes to Denmark to fight Kessler, he has to be confident of a KO, otherwise the decision will be more crooked than an Italian soccer executive.
    So do you think it would be any different for Kessler comming to Wales?
    Nope, which is why, IMO, the fight has to be in a neutral country, with a fairly balanced representation of fans if at all possible, so that both fighters can have a fair crack of the whip. The main problem is, where would that be? US? Problem with attendance there, even though TV revenue would probably be fairly high. France, Belgium? I don't know the solution to finding a venue which would be fair to both fighters, but as a Calzaghe fan, my main gripe is that I don't think he should be going to Denmark to fight, as he is the more established champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But still, if he goes to Denmark to fight Kessler, he has to be confident of a KO, otherwise the decision will be more crooked than an Italian soccer executive.
    So do you think it would be any different for Kessler comming to Wales?
    Nope, which is why, IMO, the fight has to be in a neutral country, with a fairly balanced representation of fans if at all possible, so that both fighters can have a fair crack of the whip. The main problem is, where would that be? US? Problem with attendance there, even though TV revenue would probably be fairly high. France, Belgium? I don't know the solution to finding a venue which would be fair to both fighters, but as a Calzaghe fan, my main gripe is that I don't think he should be going to Denmark to fight, as he is the more established champion.
    Mate, it's not gonna take place in a neutral country...that don't make sense

Kessler's fight with Beyer only drew 7,000....FW reckons Calzaghe can draw 20,000 plus at the Millennium Stadium regardless of the opponent

The main problem isn't the home advantage, it's dosh, as usual.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NuthaPug
    Seems one of the common complaints about most any fighter, especially those at the top, that they
    - are running from the best competition
    - are handpicking their fights
    - fought other greats past their prime or after someone else beat them down

PBF gets it, RJJ got it, Hopkins from some fans, Hatton gets it, Calzaghe is getting it. ODLH gets it!

If Kessler-Calzaghe never gets made, it will leave a question mark for Kessler even if he is never again defeated. "Yeah, but he never fought the best."

I know, Joe doesn't look like the best right now, but that's largely down-hype. He sure looked good against Lacy - better than expected - and all it takes is for him to do the same again, and he'll be at the top for a month or two. Until the boxing fans start to dismantle him once again.

The boxers live in their fantasy world, and we in ours.
    I think you got it mixed up - who will be left with the bigger questionmark over their careers if Calzaghe-Kessler doesn't happen.
    At least Kessler has been pushing for it to happen. Calzaghe/Warren have been shunning it like the plague.

Add to that that Kessler has time ahead of him to make a noteworthy career - Whereas Calzaghe is almost done for and really hasn't achieved much, except to hang on to that WBO-strap for 9 years, fighting only handpicked opposition.

Actually Calzaghe is the one who NEEDS the fight the most (quickest way to do something noteworthy with his career - complete unification of SMW). He just hasn't realized yet, so strangely Kessler is the one who WANTS it the most.
    No, I don't have it mixed up - I agree with what you are saying here. I think Joe should make this fight, and if he doesn't, he is avoiding an obvious fight to take - a unification fight. It will leave question marks for Joe if he doesn't.

But if he doesn't - it will also end up leaving a question mark for Kessler - through no fault of his own. You can be sure that someone will say "Yeah, but he never fought Joe, so we will never know." Kessler will inherit the doubt regardless of the fact that he was willing to take the fight.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not one to want a boxer to turn down a deal, but aren't you supposed to go to the champ and not the other way around? I mean unless it's america with a big name like the initial Jeff Lacy deal was, then aren't you supposed to meet the champ at his house?

America or the UK, not Denmark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    I'm not one to want a boxer to turn down a deal, but aren't you supposed to go to the champ and not the other way around? I mean unless it's america with a big name like the initial Jeff Lacy deal was, then aren't you supposed to meet the champ at his house?

The thing is...theyr'e both champs...but wearing two belts.

Hard compromise there.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jangeorg
    Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Ok let us stick to the facts

It is not like Mikkel Kessler is calling out a retired champion. I mean, if Kessler called out some former champ that is now retired, and said that if the former champ does not make a comeback, the former champ will lose all the respect that he gathered through his career. That would be totally wrong. Totally disrespectfull.

But that is not what is happening here. Mikkel Kessler is calling out a champ that is at the peak of his career. He is calling out a champ that claims he is number one in this weight division. Mikkel says "OK prove it against me and you can have all 4 belts and there will be no doubt that you are number one" But the great champ does not answer this challenge.

Calzaghe thinks too much of himself and too little of boxing fans.
    Does he really think he has sealed his legacy ? Does he think that the Lacy fight which Joe himself says was his greatest performance ever will allow him to enter a Hall of Fame. I dont think so do you ? I know he has fought other great opposition. But it is not enough.

He thinks too little of boxing fans because he basically wants us to accept his claim that he is number 1 ON FAITH. He wants us to BELIEVE. He thinks that he does not have to PROOVE it to us. But he does not want to do that. He is above that apparently. But to proove it would be so very simple for him to do in this situation. But no.

If this situation does not anger boxing fans then.... I dont know. A great moment in boxing history is flushed out the toilet because of one man who has the audacity and boldness to call himself number one without being willing to prove it
    being a fan of both men...I can honestly say that this is about the most accurate assestment of the situation.

I'll honestly be ashamed of Joe if he doesn't fight Kessler. This is the situation with all champions. It is expected that they fight the #2 & #3 men. Kessler is #2. He's proven it & he's fought some of the better 168'ers out there.

The fact that most boxing fans know them or not is not the point...they are ranked on the ladder & Kessler has climbed them & stepped over them from Siaca to Mundine to Beyer & now the #1 man is passing on fighting him...saying that he means nothing & that he is not a name...

True boxing fans recognize the fact that the Contender was damned near a joke...I mean face it...it really was. Manfredo falls right in to the laughable category...especially when compared to Kessler.

Ball up Joe & fight Kess...it's the logical respectable option.

There is nothing more Mikkel can do to make this fight happen. He has the other two belts, is undefeated, had an impressive bout against Beyer. If Joe wants it, he'll take it. If he won't, he's a bitch, and will forever have a ? over his career.
    Christ almighty.

How is it...you go from saying something thoughtful & respectful (like the post that you posted a day or so ago...which I must admit I was suprised with & ed you over) to calling Joe (another champion) Calzaghe a bitch?

I mean...this just goes back to why people like Lyle cannot & probably will not ever view Kessler in a positive light.

Why is it that you can't show Calzaghe the same respect that you want other posters to show Kessler?

It's amazing that Kessler can conduct himself with class but the majority of his fans can't.

Calling Calzaghe a bitch are maybe a hard word,so i apologies
    Good enough. back in place.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard compromise there.
    That's why I hate the belts. Calzaghe has been the champ forever, Kessler can't just take that away from him without actually beating Calzaghe. Honestly, do you really think there is any way that Kessler should be introduced last?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard compromise there.
    That's why I hate the belts. Calzaghe has been the champ forever, Kessler can't just take that away from him without actually beating Calzaghe. Honestly, do you really think there is any way that Kessler should be introduced last?
    Nah babe...but I don't hate the belts situation...I just wish some of these fighters would man up & capitalize on the oppourtunities they bring.

I, as a Calzaghe fan, do feel that Joe has been a bit complacent & has often squandered some opportunities from time to time...& also...sometimes Joe acts like he's got all the time in the world...& he doesn't.

The time for Joe to strike is now.

Honestly...I think that a lot of people underestimate Kessler & I think that Kessler has fought a lot better opposition than Joe has of late. I jus t really really think that this is the fight the man should take. It's the right fight & if Joe is as good as he & we (his fans) think he is...what's the problem?

Manfredo? Oh god...I'll puke...seriously...bullshit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is he thinking about Manfredo? I've been a bit out of the loop.

I do agree that the fight to be made is Kessler, no one else. I also agree that Joe has been fickle all throughout his career in making the big fights. Still, I think any fight should be on the champ's terms and traveling to Denmark really doesn't make sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep...believe it or not...that is the name that theyr'e juggling right now.

I do agree that the fight to be made is Kessler, no one else. I also agree that Joe has been fickle all throughout his career in making the big fights. Still, I think any fight should be on the champ's terms and traveling to Denmark really doesn't make sense to me.
    This is probably one of those matches that just won't happen & Joe will either retire or fight some chump to close the show.

Agian...I'll be disgusted.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is probably one of those matches that just won't happen & Joe will either retire or fight some chump to close the show.

Knowing Joe...just you saying that is makin me think the fight isn't happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Knowing Joe...just you saying that is makin me think the fight isn't happening.
    Yep. Myself.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just because the fight isn't happening next doesn't mean it wont ever happen, does it?

What people should be more worried about is HBO's lack of interest in Kessler and the fact that Cazlaghe will earn alot more through fighting Manfredo, then Taylor - if thats HBO's and FW's plan - than he ever will Kessler.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster

Just because the fight isn't happening next doesn't mean it wont ever happen, does it?

What people should be more worried about is HBO's lack of interest in Kessler and the fact that Cazlaghe will earn alot more through fighting Manfredo, then Taylor - if thats HBO's and FW's plan - than he ever will Kessler.
    Once again the american networks manage to scupper the best fight out there by not showing the proper interest. I'd agree that a fight v Jermaine Taylor would be a goodie, but Manfredo would be little more than cannon fodder in there for Calzaghe to beat up on. Damn you HBO, Showtime, or whoever else there is out there calling the shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wanted to throw this out on several of these threads...because something set in for me today...as it often does on various occassions from time to time...

We all got a good thing going & agreements...disaggreements...differences...favori tes...fans & fanatics...we all really do get things sorted out here.

I think it's good that we can keep the forum together on such a tight note...even those of us that don't often get along...generally we often make one another see each other's points of view & that's a good thing because we all live & learn off of each other. Even though we agree to disagree...we all learn something from one another...& that's a damned fine thing.

I know that's a corny thing to say...but fwockit...ya'll have called me wacko for worse reasons than that.

Keep up the good work people...our joint get's better & better everyday & wer'e all gettin closer & closer as a community.

Thread Information