Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Books and Authors

I was thinking about starting a thread for books just the other day.

I've read a fair few books over the last few weeks, I'll get on goodreads.com to refresh myself and then report back with my ratings

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is also a mind blower.

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BirdBox by Josh Mallerman

Strange book, creatures that turn you insane and cause you to kill yourself and others if you so much as see them, causes the whole population to live in a self imposed blindness, bog standard horror book, finished it in 1 day but it was enjoyable

The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell

The Exorcist before The exorcist, released about 10 years before, decent book, the whole 'possession' thing was far too easily believed by the priests but it was a nice simple read, extremely tame when compared with the all time classic that came after

Knock-Em-Stiff by Donald Ray Pollock

collection of 18 short stories all based in an extremely town, don't go expecting any happy endings, it is child abuse, alcoholism, rape and general depression, I loved it, my kind of book

City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin

the last of the passage trilogy, an uptodate vampire story (not your gay Twilight shite here) fucking awesome trilogy, this book started off slow but the second half of it was unputdownable, brilliant

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum

the most frightening thing about this is that its based on a true story, a girl gets kidnapped and brutally and systamatically tortured by 1 deranged mother and every kid in the local area, fucking terrible book, again my kind of thing, loved it but I'd be careful who I recommended it to.

The Trial by Kafka

an old classic, some dude gets put on trial and has no idea why, will he every manage to find out what is going on? good book well worth a read, the long paragraphs and narrative can bog you down but its only 200 pages

those are some the books that I've read over the last month two anyway

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Knock em stiff would be my kind of book about rape! And Kafka a distant second!!!

BbbbwaaaAAAAAHHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

El Kabong Guest

My apologies, I'll let a mod know and merge the threads

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Holy shit!!! It happened.to both of us!!!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Holy shit!!! It happened.to both of us!!!
    I certainly didn't mean for it to...I vaguely remembered a book/author thread but couldn't fucking find it....anywho, here's hoping that we'll get the threads merged and everyone will give their input and keep that thread at the top of this part of the forum.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Much appreciated my Mod friends!

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In 1897, an aspiring politician is mysteriously murdered in the rural area of Alabama known as Mitcham Beat. His outraged friends -- —mostly poor cotton farmers -- form a secret society, Hell-at-the-Breech, to punish the townspeople they believe responsible. The hooded members wage a bloody year-long campaign of terror that culminates in a massacre where the innocent suffer alongside the guilty. Caught in the maelstrom of the Mitcham war are four people: the aging sheriff sympathetic to both sides; the widowed midwife who delivered nearly every member of Hell-at-the-Breech; a ruthless detective who wages his own war against the gang; and a young store clerk who harbors a terrible secret.

Based on incidents that occurred a few miles from the author's childhood home, Hell at the Breech chronicles the events of dark days that led the people involved to discover their capacity for good, evil, or for both.
    I'm currently reading this at the moment, I only started it the other day and whilst its good I'm struggling to get into it, I like the writing style but I'm just waiting for it to kick off a little bit and get going.

I read one of Tom Franklins other books (Smonk) and that was just a crazy clusterfuck of violence and crazy characters that wasn't very good, that was why I thought I'd give this book a go because he seems like he could be a real good author, I'll let you all know what I think of it in the end

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

In 1897, an aspiring politician is mysteriously murdered in the rural area of Alabama known as Mitcham Beat. His outraged friends -- —mostly poor cotton farmers -- form a secret society, Hell-at-the-Breech, to punish the townspeople they believe responsible. The hooded members wage a bloody year-long campaign of terror that culminates in a massacre where the innocent suffer alongside the guilty. Caught in the maelstrom of the Mitcham war are four people: the aging sheriff sympathetic to both sides; the widowed midwife who delivered nearly every member of Hell-at-the-Breech; a ruthless detective who wages his own war against the gang; and a young store clerk who harbors a terrible secret.

Based on incidents that occurred a few miles from the author's childhood home, Hell at the Breech chronicles the events of dark days that led the people involved to discover their capacity for good, evil, or for both.
    I'm currently reading this at the moment, I only started it the other day and whilst its good I'm struggling to get into it, I like the writing style but I'm just waiting for it to kick off a little bit and get going.

I read one of Tom Franklins other books (Smonk) and that was just a crazy clusterfuck of violence and crazy characters that wasn't very good, that was why I thought I'd give this book a go because he seems like he could be a real good author, I'll let you all know what I think of it in the end
    Wow, looks like you stumbled on a bit of American history that I didn't even know about. I may have to take a look at that one myself.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, looks like you stumbled on a bit of American history that I didn't even know about. I may have to take a look at that one myself.
    To be honest I love westerns and anything set in the deep south, I've read a few books like this one, I find that I end up burning myself out after a while if I stick with them for too long

for example whilst this book was fucking brilliant it was a proper slog to get through

The lore and the legends, the lawmen and the bad men, the rise of the cattle barons and the tragic demise of the Plains Indians, the pioneers and the forty-niners, Little Big Horn and the Alamo, Calamity Jane and Crazy Horse -- from the Alleghenies to the Rockies the events that shaped the West and the people who tamed it are featured in this vivid anecdotal history, which draws upon firsthand testimony and contemporary documents to provide a compelling and comprehensive account of a land as it became a nation.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon....12BxwBrfDL.jpg

The Universe doesn't give a flying fuck about you
    J. Truant.

Very short book, I read it twice a year for motivation.

Still reading African Origin of Civilization by Sheikh Anta Diop.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

El Kabong Guest

To be honest I love westerns and anything set in the deep south, I've read a few books like this one, I find that I end up burning myself out after a while if I stick with them for too long

for example whilst this book was fucking brilliant it was a proper slog to get through

The lore and the legends, the lawmen and the bad men, the rise of the cattle barons and the tragic demise of the Plains Indians, the pioneers and the forty-niners, Little Big Horn and the Alamo, Calamity Jane and Crazy Horse -- from the Alleghenies to the Rockies the events that shaped the West and the people who tamed it are featured in this vivid anecdotal history, which draws upon firsthand testimony and contemporary documents to provide a compelling and comprehensive account of a land as it became a nation.
    If that is what you enjoy then you would absolutely love 'Scouting on Two Continents'....just got through a part where Major Burnham (then a young adult perhaps in his 20's) and friends help dissuade a lynch mob who are in a frenzy of blood lust. That was but a small chapter, his smuggler friend taught Major Burnham how to throw other scouts off his trail which was quite interesting as well as Major Burnham's surprisingly clear view of the issues with the Indians. He indeed called them along with native tribes in Africa "savages" as was the parlance of their time, but he admitted to the wrongdoings of those in power in the Indian Affairs Bureau and the like, their repeated nixing of treaties, the going back on their word, the breach of trust which left many a bridge burned and doubtless cost the lives of thousands of people both settlers and Indians.

He's one interesting and smart dude, if you like those books you'd like his.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

added it to my 'to read' shelf on goodreads, cheers

Thread Information