Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shawn Porter vs. Andre Berto

The fight went as expected. Porter is strong and aggressive. He may beat Thurman if they have a rematch. The first fight was close. If Porter makes adjustments, he could definitely win. The winner of that fight will most likely fight Spence either way and get destroyed so it doesn't really matter.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how come this thread did get stickied but the one between abraham and krasniqi did... bloody moderators...

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    The fight went as expected. Porter is strong and aggressive. He may beat Thurman if they have a rematch. The first fight was close. If Porter makes adjustments, he could definitely win. The winner of that fight will most likely fight Spence either way and get destroyed so it doesn't really matter.
    Why would the winner of this want to fight someone who's just lost a title challenge?

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Why would the winner of this want to fight someone who's just lost a title challenge?
    Positive thinking?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I can see the future

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was never high on berto. Stylistically, he always seemed wide on his punches and never fully turned them over. He has a little speed but couldn't really get power unless he opened up his stance and subjected himself to being off balance. He got outworked by a few of "try hards", with mediocre talent. Coupled with the fact that he like to talk more than he fights and his string of past injuries, this match wasn't going to go well... against Porter who is the try hardest of the try hards.

Not to take anything away from Porter by calling him a try hard. I'm a big fan. He's a lunch pail guy who is constantly looking for new ways to get better and add dimension to his game. He certainly has tenacity and pressures very well. He's relentless and his big wins seem to acts of sheer will rather than being a supremely talented pot shotter who can sit back and rest on his laurels and coast. He's not the tops of division in speed, power, movement, footwork, hand speed... Still, these are the type of fighters that make the sport for the non causal fan. They keep things interesting and really show you what every fighter they face is made of.

I don't recall lots of headbutt complaints from thurman, brooke, malignaggi and other fighters. The clashes of heads came from the fact that Berto is not strictly a back foot fighter and he was facing a very aggressive pressure fighter in Porter. He had the same problem with ortiz only ortiz received the worst of the clash of heads in that one. In these types of fights sometimes you're the buttor and sometimes you're the buttee.. These weren't Andre Ward missed right hand, follow through with the forehead kind of Butts either. Both guys were wide and trying to dig on the inside and sides of heads were exchanged. Berto fancies himself a pretty strong fighter, but it was evident by the way Porter was raking the body and battering him along the ropes, that berto was getting more than he bargained for.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 04-25-2017 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Typo
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a fan of either but I think a Berto/Broner matchup would be fun.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    So from reading this thread it appears Berto got mauled and beat up like Guerrero did to him?
    @Freedom posted the fight in this thread at #89. Berto was having some success early although he was losing the rounds.
    That was an OK performance from Porter, his usual roughhouse workmanlike high intensity performance. Berto did not have the desire to continue and maybe better to call it a day.

Thurman still beats Porter.
    It drives me crazy that he's allowed to be so aggressive with his headbutts and spinning opponents and elbowing. If a ref were to stop him from doing it from the outset or deduct points, then I don't think Porter would win these fights.
    Porter was not that bad and it was not intentional. Brook never had problems with it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just came into this thread again, and found that rocco and I agree on Shawn Porter.

So with that said, I'm going to go out and buy one of those doomsday shelters..... because the end of civilization as we know it is sure to be around the corner.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I couldn't get in here Saturday night. Couldn't connect to server or something like that. How come you fuckers all got in? Was it working smoothly for you? I couldn't even get the main forum screen to come up.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had no issues, Kirk. I hope Walrus wasn't hacking your account.

Yeah no... no problems here. I think the site has had issues more frequently as of late, tho.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I couldn't get in here Saturday night. Couldn't connect to server or something like that. How come you fuckers all got in? Was it working smoothly for you? I couldn't even get the main forum screen to come up.
    No problem for any of us and we did rbr for 4 fights. Missed a good weekend of boxing.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had no problems getting on the site. I don't think Porter was intentionally trying to be dirty. It was just the way their styles clashed. Both guys coming forward. Porter is super aggressive.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had no problems getting on the site. I don't think Porter was intentionally trying to be dirty. It was just the way their styles clashed. Both guys coming forward. Porter is super aggressive.

It seems we're always making excuses for the guy who goes out and tries real hard. As long as Porter isn't warned/ penalized about using his head as a weapon, intentional or not, he's going to keep on doing it. Did you catch what he said after the fight. "Uhh.. yeah, we gotta work on that headbutting." Gee..... ya THINK?!? I don't know... I just abhor his fighting style. It's the case where you know exactly what kind of fight you're gonna watch coming in, and he doesn't disappoint. To each his own, I guess.....

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

It seems we're always making excuses for the guy who goes out and tries real hard. As long as Porter isn't warned/ penalized about using his head as a weapon, intentional or not, he's going to keep on doing it. Did you catch what he said after the fight. "Uhh.. yeah, we gotta work on that headbutting." Gee..... ya THINK?!? I don't know... I just abhor his fighting style. It's the case where you know exactly what kind of fight you're gonna watch coming in, and he doesn't disappoint. To each his own, I guess.....
    I'm not much of a fan of his style and I think if he took a half step back at times he could be much more effective. He has a good jab that when used gets him in range to unload to the body. He always comes to fight tho, is always in excellent shape, gives 110% and will push the other guy to the brink. I respect that. There's a ref for a reason.

Thread Information