Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "El Perro" Angulo vs. James Kirkland - Saturday "Fight Thread"

Angulo punched himself out like Mike Jones did in the first Soto Karass fight. Both of them went completely ridiculous. Angulo might have thrown 160 punches in 2 mins and that takes so much out of you, especially when you get cracked by your opponent that same round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just got home from work and I missed the fight I was hoping it would be on youtube by now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was exactly the kind of fight that was promised - defense nonexistent and punch after punch after punch.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After the 1st round Angulo was spent, had nothing on his punches and was fighting on instinct. From the 2nd round on it was just a beatdown/mismatch and the end result was a forgone conclusion.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Awesome fight on the first round alone, it needed to be stopped. Angulo was stupid for going balls out in the first round and really shouldn't have been makin that mistake at this point in his career if he had paced himself he coulda stayed fresh and have kirkland in trouble, but props for kirkland hopefully he doesn't all go gangster again thinking its cool to roll with loaded 9ns n shit...
    Really dumb move on Alfredo's part, he punched himself out, and the combination of that and Kirkland coming back and kicking his ass left him out on his feet and/or with little left to defend himself.

In boxing or even in a street fight, it's a cardinal sin not to pace yourself and if you don't, and you shoot your wad, you're basically at the mercy of your opponent.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    just got home from work and I missed the fight I was hoping it would be on youtube by now.
    HBO is already showing replays of the fight, and there will be more in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Awesome fight on the first round alone, it needed to be stopped. Angulo was stupid for going balls out in the first round and really shouldn't have been makin that mistake at this point in his career if he had paced himself he coulda stayed fresh and have kirkland in trouble, but props for kirkland hopefully he doesn't all go gangster again thinking its cool to roll with loaded 9ns n shit...
    Really dumb move on Alfredo's part, he punched himself out, and the combination of that and Kirkland coming back and kicking his ass left him out on his feet and/or with little left to defend himself.

In boxing or even in a street fight, it's a cardinal sin not to pace yourself and if you don't, and you shoot your wad, you're basically at the mercy of your opponent.
    Kirkland was down and it was a short shot that put him on his ass. He was hurt, but his head appeared to be pretty clear. Watching the fight a 2nd time, you can see Angulo landing some good punches in the follow-up, but Kirkland rolled alot of them and partially blocked alot. Having been hurt in fights before he was relatively relaxed with Angulo breathing down his ass.

Angulo never should have thrown that many shots. He threw about 150 punches in the first 2 mins of the fight. Then when Kirkland put him on his ass, his legs were really gone. He was never able to fully recover.

Kirkland fought smart too. He did use the jab to good effect. He didn't go crazy trying to put Angulo away. He just continued to grind him down.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Three things hurt Angulo.

1, Having only fought less than 2 minues in the pass 18 months. His timing was off

2, He punched himself out going for the stoppage

3, The speed difference. Either Angulo is that slow or Kirkland is just that fast. I think it's a little of both

They need to rematch. Having Kirkland relavent again is a good thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HBO is already showing replays of the fight, and there will be more in the morning.
    I dvr'd it and I'm pouring another Jim Beam and Diet Coke and watching it for the 3rd time. Fun fight.

When Kirkland got dropped the first time it is because he moves his head and upper body, but he keeps his hands too low (even when he has them up). He keeps them just below the chin, which doesn't protect the chin!!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post

I dvr'd it and I'm pouring another Jim Beam and Diet Coke and watching it for the 3rd time. Fun fight.

When Kirkland got dropped the first time it is because he moves his head and upper body, but he keeps his hands too low (even when he has them up). He keeps them just below the chin, which doesn't protect the chin!!!!

I had a couple straight shots of Crown Royal Black with a diet pepsi back on ice, very relaxing.

cheers dude, Pac-JMM next week, i'm gonna have to find a stream for that one, $64.95 for HD, no fucking way Jose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I only have basic cable so I cant see it until someone uploads

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post

I had a couple straight shots of Crown Royal Black with a diet pepsi back on ice, very relaxing.

cheers dude, Pac-JMM next week, i'm gonna have to find a stream for that one, $64.95 for HD, no fucking way Jose.
    Hehe - mine was Crown, water, lemon juice and honey. Perfect mix for fighting a chest cold.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great upset !

Most of us were picking Angulo or at least were favoring him, and hoping Kirkland would win. I know I was.

What heart and guts shown by both men. That first round was breath taking.

Alvarez's punk ass is next, if he can get by Cintron.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Great upset !

Most of us were picking Angulo or at least were favoring him, and hoping Kirkland would win. I know I was.

What heart and guts shown by both men. That first round was breath taking.

Alvarez's punk ass is next, if he can get by Cintron.

Well it's no guarantee Alvarez gets by Cintron, but if he does I suspect he will do away with Kirkland as well. That was a pretty good first round tonight but neither guy are actually good fighters in the scheme of things, I think Alvarez(though not great imo) absolutely blitzes him. This was basically a really good undercard fight that HBO tried to sell as two real prospects. Neither Kirkland or Angulo are actually anywhere near top tier fighters imo.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland did a really good job tonight , he chopped his man down a bit like Marvin Hagler used to do in his later years.
    Of course Kirkland is no Hagler , but he brings excitment to the table.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information