Thread: Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin - St. Pat's day fight thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin - St. Pat's day fight thread

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    McGirt is an awful trainer. Let him come out for the final round.
    I dont like the guy but I think they got that one right. That 2nd knockdown was a sickener, Macklin didnt have a scoobie what was going on.
    They had a whole minute to let him get it together and instead it was immediately 'no more, no more'. He was up, hands up and back in his corner without too much of an issue.
    I didnt see Macklin complain much mate
    True, but it's better to use the minute to assess the fighter rather than stopping it immediately. If then he still seems out of it then for sure call it off. I'm not one for premature stoppages and especially at the end of a round when there is recovery time.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maravilla2012 View Post
    Martinez wins by stoppage. Yet he looked like a normal fighter, seemed more like an undercard fight more then a main event.
    I thought he looked great the last 4 rounds of the fight, including the close in the 11th. He did what champions do, took the fight over when he needed to.
    Agreed

He clearly underestimated him a bit, when it got serious he put his game face on and dispatched him in good style.

All of a sudden Martinez is shite now?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I really like Martinez...but honestly I feel he and Mayweather could be one of the biggest pose offs and snooze fests this year. Purely styles

Oh but I like Martinez in it
    I completely agree with that.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather against Martinez would definitely be boring. You would have 20 punches a round combined. Tedious.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez wins by stoppage. Yet he looked like a normal fighter, seemed more like an undercard fight more then a main event.
    I thought he looked great the last 4 rounds of the fight, including the close in the 11th. He did what champions do, took the fight over when he needed to.
    Agreed

He clearly underestimated him a bit, when it got serious he put his game face on and dispatched him in good style.

The man had no legs at all, before he got knocked down, every time he threw something he was off balance. He'd be an idiot to try an continue.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez is pulling away with this. Not a very exciting fight.
    The first 7 rounds weren't really worth watching, but the 8th round on was entertaining/exciting for me, but then i'm a Martinez fan.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Agreed

The man had no legs at all, before he got knocked down, every time he threw something he was off balance. He'd be an idiot to try an continue.
    I have no idea what you just tried to say
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed

You can bet Martinez will get criticized after this fight for not putting Macklin away sooner, he's shit, he's getting old, et al. What the critics don't seem to get is, you aren't always going to look great in every round of every fight, and sometimes you've got to suck it up and work hard to get a victory.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't seen the fight, but Martinez is almost always a slow starter. I've seen him talk about how he doesn't watch film and that he likes to get a feel for his opponent during the early rounds. It'll bite him in the ass someday, but it hasn't yet.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just wanted to add, yes McGirt is an idiot, but truth be told Macklin was done, if he came out for the 12th round Martinez would have went for the kill, continuing would have been pointless. Live to fight another day.

Good fight, well worth watching again, i'll check it out in the morning.

P.S. Macklin is a likable kid who gave it his all, I hope he gets another shot at Sturm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone know what the official scores were on this? Im intrigued to know since there were some real close rounds
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I haven't seen the fight, but Martinez is almost always a slow starter. I've seen him talk about how he doesn't watch film and that he likes to get a feel for his opponent during the early rounds. It'll bite him in the ass someday, but it hasn't yet.
    After a somewhat bogus KD by Macklin in the 7th round, Macklin was likely ahead on points, to Sergio's credit, he knew he was falling behind on the cards, and started turning it up a notch from the 8th round on. But yeah, playing catch up and/or getting to the point where you need a KO to win, might come back to bite him on the ass.

I do have to say that Martinez looked really good the last 4 rounds of the fight, and it was an impressive finish for him.

No stream for the fight?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    Anyone know what the official scores were on this? Im intrigued to know since there were some real close rounds
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the scores were 105-101, 105-101, 103-103 in favor of Martinez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the scores were 105-101, 105-101, 103-103 in favor of Martinez.
    Damn thats way closer than I had it. That 103-103 is crazy imo. The 105-101 is fair enough, though I had it wider.
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    After a somewhat bogus KD by Macklin in the 7th round, Macklin was likely ahead on points, to Sergio's credit, he knew he was falling behind on the cards, and started turning it up a notch from the 8th round on. But yeah, playing catch up and/or getting to the point where you need a KO to win, might come back to bite him on the ass.

I do have to say that Martinez looked really good the last 4 rounds of the fight, and it was an impressive finish for him.

No stream for the fight?
    I was out. It was a fight I really wanted to see because I thought their styles would make for a good scrap, but I haven't been watching much boxing at all lately.

Thread Information