greynotsoold
Blows and Blocks: The Left and Right Uppercuts

1) The Left Uppercut; From the fundamental stance, bend directly to the left and slightly forward until the left elbow touches the leg just below the hip. Left arm hlf-bent forearm parallel to the floor,palmsidwe up.; rt elbow in close glove high to protect head. Swing left hip and shoulder forward carrying leftarm to the center line of the body; once reached straighten whip the left am in upward arc.
2)The right upper cut is the same as the above except that at the start you lean to the right and slightly forward.
The urest and easiest defense vs. an uppercut is to merely slide back a few inches and out of range. You can also drop a glove across his glove or wrist- using you rt on his left and your left onhis rt.

Karlos
Re: Blows and Blocks: The Left and Right Uppercuts

Sharla

Yes that's a brilliant description of an uppercut! - I have a coach who teaches the uppercut to the body and the head almost as if they are two different punches. I think he bases this on how much body is put into the punch. What is your opinion? What would you say to do differently for uppercuts to the body and head.

Andre

My thoughts go more towards my own distance and my opponents commitment or over lean regarding varying uppercuts and footowork movment behind them.
Watching the old masters accomplish them off the rear hand after moving in or under ;or off the front hand after parrying off an attack with the rear and shifting in further makes you realize that there are so many variations to a standard shot.
Turning a fist vertically half way through the shot can help you to follow a moving target if the original shot is 'felt' comming at a nose to nose range and he heads away on instinct,this puts a curve on the end of an uppercut and you have to adjust your rear hip rotation to land it at the new mark.

Worth practicing every different variation in close senarios that you can imagine on the heavy bag;
You adjust the bag and tie a rope around the bottom of it and hoist it up on an angle so it feels like a nose to nose leaning forward opponent and you can vizualize and move out and around and suss out your footwork and distances with your varying shots etc.

Sharla

I'm going to try the training technique you suggest - tying the bag up.

I'd like to watch a few fight videos to get a visual of the different types of uppercuts you are referring to.

Can you recommend some fighters or specific fights to watch for their uppercuts. I have to confess I love the sport and am an eager participant but a poor spectator - which I know I need to change if I'm going to improve at all.

I also hope your mate Joe gets well :-)

Andre

Mike Tyson to start with, hunting from down lower,surprizing from behind or under an arm and using leg leverage like noone else in that weight at that time. Its easier to study his every move being a heavyweight too.

Sharla