Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Olympics showcased everything wrong with the olympics

I meant everything wrong with boxing.
    It showcased gift decisions, horrible judging and ref'ing, clinch fests, just in general there were very few guys who were able to fight the way they normally do. Far less talented fighters were able to win fights because of bullshit scoring and they were able to clinch non-stop for whole fights.

Olympic boxing this year a travesty, I was so excited for it, only to find myself not wanting to watch it at all. I just saw the 75 kg gold medal bout, and it was retarded, the cuban was better, but both should have been disqualified for that crap they were pulling.

That one ukrainian guy who won looked amazing with the first round 3 knock down win, but besides that I didn't get to see anything else that really grabbed my attention, I didn't get to see ZIming or Alexey however.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Olympics showcased everything wrong with the olympics

I stopped watching after the first two days, horrible shit really. Unwatchable.

Anybody know what happened to a Jamaican named Toureano Johnson, one of the few guys I saw that actually fought like a fighter.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meh I don't think it was that bad. If you were expecting to see Gatti/Ward in an olympic bout than you set the bar a little too high.

I enjoyed watching the tactical bouts, a lot like fencing without the sword but very skillful none the less.

Vasyl Lomachenko really impressed me, as did the Thailander who won gold (forget the name and weight class) as he was incredibly elusive.

There were definatly flaws in the scoring system, I saw a countless amount of punches that scored but were not counted (they were PARTICULARILY bad at scoring bodyshots IMO), but I never saw a case where one fighter was screwed out of the fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah I wasn't a fan of it at all, it was a case of getting a lead then running in alot of fights.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this is more of a question as I am not sure - don't really follow olympic boxing so much

is it me or have recent olymic champs not gone on to achieve much in recent years (since 98 anyway)

I know the 60s and 70s gave birth to future megastars but am thinking David Reid, Audley etc.. (Khan has proved nothing yet)

Any olympic champs since 98 etc.. major layers today ??
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Olympic boxing is a whole different sport from professional boxing. Now more than ever, a boxing medal doesn't mean squat. You turn pro.... you think your Olympic medal is going to translate into professional success.... and you find out real quick that one has nothing to do with the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I meant everything wrong with boxing.
    It showcased gift decisions, horrible judging and ref'ing, clinch fests, just in general there were very few guys who were able to fight the way they normally do. Far less talented fighters were able to win fights because of bullshit scoring and they were able to clinch non-stop for whole fights.

Olympic boxing this year a travesty, I was so excited for it, only to find myself not wanting to watch it at all. I just saw the 75 kg gold medal bout, and it was retarded, the cuban was better, but both should have been disqualified for that crap they were pulling.

That one ukrainian guy who won looked amazing with the first round 3 knock down win, but besides that I didn't get to see anything else that really grabbed my attention, I didn't get to see ZIming or Alexey however.

I heard Joe Cortez and Jay Nady were seen leaving the areanas after a very dodgy decision. Their pockets were bulging and they were whisked away by security wrapped in a Chinesse flag. Nady was heard shouting Ho Chi Min is great and Cortez was on the phone to his bank checking if his cheque he got from Floyd Mayweather had cleared!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed a lot of the fights but at times got a it pissed off at the way some of the boxers ran after getting there nose in front.

Also some of the judges/refs made strange/bad decions.
    Balls

Thread Information