Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default coordinating hands and feet

two questions with regards to coordination.

1. When you are working the heavy bag being stationary, when you throw your right, there is a shift of weight to the lead/front foot. When you come back with the hook, the shift goes back to the right/back foot. Does this hold true with jabs or straight shots with the lead? For example? I think too often I throw a 2-1, and I stay on the front foot, and wonder why I get countered. I think the thing that gets me is that alot of times you hear about the jab being mostly an arm punch and there isn't a weight transfer.

2. If you wanted to advance while throwing straight shots, and your opponent has a bad habit of going straight back, if you throw the 1-2 should you do this: lead step forward with the jab and right step forward with the rear shot. Or if you are throwing 3 or 4 shots, a step with each shot (left step, left punch, right step, right punch). I usually drag my rear foot which dosen't let me advance as far as I need to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: coordinating hands and feet

1. What are you usually getting countered with? If your throwing a straight right then a jab, you should by using the jab to get out and have your chin tucked with your lead shoulder when throwing it. And your right should be on your cheek.

2. Theres no certain amount of steps you have to take. If your opponent is goin straight back then it should be easy to land a straight or an uppercut. Basically if there going straight back you know where their head is gonna be so you can throw something straight down the pipe and land it fairly easy. So say you see dude is backing straight back. So you throw ur jab and he backs straight back, while your throwing your jab step foward to create your angle to land a straight right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. I usually get countered by a overhand right or a looping right.

2. I just seems like I reach a little too much. My regular sparring partners are a tad taller too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It always been harder for me to land on taller people as well. Straight rights to the body seem to work and will help you get inside (of course work your jab first). And if your throwing a 2-1 i think that lead right is bad especially against taller fighters. That could be a huge reason your getting countered right there. Against taller people, head movement and feints to get inside. And keep the jab out there if anything else to interrupt there vision. But throw it with purpose. Work their body.

And I would say even tho your having trouble landing, make sure u keep good technique and the timing will come.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Generally when throwing a "jab" there is no transference of weight. But when you throw it after the straight right, then there is, and technically it is no longer a "jab" but a straight left hand. The weight transfers to bring you back to balance.
    There are drills you can do that address your second concern. Very simply, every time you jab, move your left foot. When you throw the right hand, move your right foot. They should always move together, mostly. Don't drag your right foot; you have to remember to bring it with you. The feet should, as much as is plossible, stay the same distance apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a fault of mine has been to drag the foot since I always wanted both feet to be grounded. I guess I felt that the step with the right would seem like I'm out of balance since that foot is off of the ground for a fraction of a second.

I think it's just a lack of practice. Practice until it becomes comfortable.

Thread Information