Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Martinez is too small for 168 :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=6216573

Martinez did confirm last week he has no plans to move up to the crowded 168-pound division, because with a smaller, 5-foot-10 frame, he would be giving away too much size.
    For what it's worth, WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward tweeted late Saturday of his interest, claiming he "would love a fight with Sergio Martinez. I think it would be great for the fans." But Ward (23-0), who faces Arthur Abraham on May 14 in the semifinals of Showtime's Super Six tournament, also tweeted last month that a move down to 160 pounds for a big-money fight "would be tough, but not impossible. But very tough!"

in other News

Sergio Martinez: Mayweather Would Last, Pacquiao I'd KO - Boxing News

I want to show that I am the pound-for-pound best in the world and in order to do that, I have to fight Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather would be a better fight I think because he is physically bigger than Pacquiao and can carry the 154 pounds better than Pacquiao. With Mayweather, I think this would be the most difficult fight of my career and I see it going the distance and being judged on points, but together we would put on a good show," Martinez told John Martinez.

Hahahahahaaha

--

Yeah he needs the pay day but its still funny.
    Last edited by miron_lang; 05-26-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Martinez is too small for 168 :D

He's a coward. Bernard went from 160 to 175 so why can't Martinez go from 154 to 168 if he's the p4p number 2 fighter in the world?

Only 5 ft 10 eh? Well James Toney is 5 ft 9 and went up to heavyweight knocking out Evander Holyfield, beating John Ruiz and lasting two very tough fights against Sam Peter.

Manny of course climbed 10 divisions only to cherry pick the opposition there with such weak names as Cotto, Mosley and Margarito (at 150).

Sergio annoys me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least Trinidad and Dela Hoya are both 5'11 and are passable Middleweights when Hopkins bullied them. and its not even a guarantee that Martinez can beat Floyd and Pacquiao.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    He's a coward. Bernard went from 160 to 175 so why can't Martinez go from 154 to 168 if he's the p4p number 2 fighter in the world?
    Since when does P4P ranking have any bearing on someones ability to move up in weight?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Since when does P4P ranking have any bearing on someones ability to move up in weight?
    If Martinez is unable to beat a 46 year old grandad at 170 lbs he's overated.

Besides, all the best fighters have been able to move through multiple divisions. The only exceptions are heavyweights obviously, and one or two really tiny guys.

Ray Robinson went from 147 to 175, why can't Martinez go from 154 to 170?

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Besides, all the best fighters have been able to move through multiple divisions. The only exceptions are heavyweights obviously, and one or two really tiny guys.

Im not sure what kind of response is more fitting but Im going to go with thats bollocks

How many divisions does it need to be to qualify as one of the best? I bet its more than two
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not sure what kind of response is more fitting but Im going to go with thats bollocks

How many divisions does it need to be to qualify as one of the best? I bet its more than two

There's so many divisions these days that it's standard to move through them.

If you disagree with me then just name me some fighters in the last 15 years who are considered great, instant Hall of Famers that were unable or unwilling to go through more than two weight classes?

Outside of the heavyweights and really small straweights you won't find many at all.
    Last edited by Kev; 05-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you disagree with me then just name me some fighters in the last 15 years who are considered great, instant Hall of Famers that were unable or unwilling to go through more than two weight classes?

Outside of the heavyweights and really small straweights you won't find many at all.
    Hopkins. He's fought at middle and lightheavy. That's just 2.

Martinez started at welter, then went to lightmiddle, then middle. That's 3.

So Martinez owns Hopkins in divisions fought in too. Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure people of average height and build have more scope to move between weight classes, it isnt a requirement though is it?

Joe calzaghe is the obvious name that comes to mind, only ever fought in two divisions, is he not one of the best of the last 15 years?

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Hopkins. He's fought at middle and lightheavy. That's just 2.

Martinez started at welter, then went to lightmiddle, then middle. That's 3.

So Martinez owns Hopkins in divisions fought in too. Fact.

I so hope these two fight. You're really turning me off Martinez you know...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean Martinez is a fairly slender 5ft 10 and maybe his confidence after the Pavlik fight (physicality) has left his a bit sceptical about fighting guys who BOIL DOWN to 168 but I'm sure he could pick and choose his fights... I mean Froch had said a few years ago that he doesn't really have to loose a great deal of weight... Also, maybe Arthur Abraham might prove to be a good fight to test the waters...?

I dunno, at the end of the day Martinez has got to want to 'go there'. I doubt he'll find much success picking fights with smaller guys though. Maybe he'll be left with no choice but to move up?

One thing is for sure. I HOPE COTTO HAS ENOUGH SENSE TO STAY AWAY FROM MARTINEZ! I just see it coming....
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    I mean Martinez is a fairly slender 5ft 10 and maybe his confidence after the Pavlik fight (physicality) has left his a bit sceptical about fighting guys who BOIL DOWN to 168 but I'm sure he could pick and choose his fights... I mean Froch had said a few years ago that he doesn't really have to loose a great deal of weight... Also, maybe Arthur Abraham might prove to be a good fight to test the waters...?

I dunno, at the end of the day Martinez has got to want to 'go there'. I doubt he'll find much success picking fights with smaller guys though. Maybe he'll be left with no choice but to move up?

One thing is for sure. I HOPE COTTO HAS ENOUGH SENSE TO STAY AWAY FROM MARTINEZ! I just see it coming....
    Abraham is probably shorter than Martinez. He's always looked really short and dumpy since moving up to 168.

I'd like to see Martinez against Abraham at 160.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abraham is probably shorter than Martinez. He's always looked really short and dumpy since moving up to 168.
    Exactly.

If Martinez was going to try 168, the why not keep King Arthur where he is? It'd be a great start for testing out your physicality and athleticism at a higher weight.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, and not necessarily Abraham. I would like to see Martinez fight a TRUE MIDDLEWEIGHT at 160 before talking about 168.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by badr_hari View Post
    Yeah, and not necessarily Abraham. I would like to see Martinez fight a TRUE MIDDLEWEIGHT at 160 before talking about 168.
    I agree with you. That is why I've been saying Felix Sturm in a unification fight. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that fight, even Bilbo.

Thread Information