Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Espn

ESPN have lost the football right for 2013/14 season. Will that affect any of you with the boxing? I get it free as part of the Virgin package and treated the football as a bonus because I wanted it for the boxing shows which have been good to see.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Espn

I can't believe they have Bunce on for UK PTI.....well actually I can because they get the most absurd and annoying bastards in the US to do those gossip shows here too. Skip Bayliss, Michael Wilbon, Bill Plashke, Jay Marriotti, Woody Paige....awful. I've lost any and all respect for ESPN in recent years just because it's all speculation and gossip, it's TMZ Sports is what it is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are we talking college football or pro (NFL) football?

The NFL is only on ESPN for Monday Night Football. So it should have little affect on Boxing.

Now if only ESPN can lose the rights to Softball and some other shit that delays FNF's

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm assuming this is a Q meant for non-Americans. In the U.S., there is no cable package you can get that does not include ESPN, so dropping it because it lost one night of football isn't an option, unless you're getting rid of cable/satellite entirely. Which would also mean giving up HBO and Showtime. Over one night of football.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was on about soccer. This will affect UK viewers that may be boxing fans.
    You are right they have got annoying commentators like Shaka Hislop and some people I have never even heard of.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I was on about soccer. This will affect UK viewers that may be boxing fans.
    You are right they have got annoying commentators like Shaka Hislop and some people I have never even heard of.
    I read your fist post and assumed American football....

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Master is English and I think the only English people who watch American Football are those who have played the game, and sustained some kind of brain damage that leaves them with a delusional and inflated estimation of it's entertainment value.;-)

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Master is English and I think the only English people who watch American Football are those who have played the game, and sustained some kind of brain damage that leaves them with a delusional and inflated estimation of it's entertainment value.;-)

I think soccer(football) is definetly a better game, although I watch neither sport, but the manner in which many people follow it over there doesn't exactly lend much creedence to your arguement now does it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

don't shit on nfl (american football). played football from middle school thru highschool. I understand that around the world many people don't get it. But if you grew up around it here, then like many americans, you would love it.

I played football(soccer here in the states) as well from the time I was 4 until my mid 20s. I love the game. I'm fanatical about it.

But many americans don't like it one bit. They didn't grow up playing it, seeing it on tv, and just don't appreciate it. The same way many people around the world don't grow up around american football.

In general people appreciate the things they grow up around culturally. crapping on the things you haven't been around your whole lives and don't love is a waste of time.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see why you can't love both. They're both entirely different games, and take a whole different set of skills. I've been an NFL fan for as long as I can remember, but over the years have been drawn in to football/soccer (people shouldn't get upset at names, for heaven sakes). Few things match the excitement of a World Cup... I've always loved the idea of international competition, and all the rivalries that exist. Beyond that, I've expanded my interest to include this year's version of UEFA Euro. I'm glad the sport has taken on a lot more interest in the United States. As is to be expected, US interest in the sport will be directly tied to the success of the US team, so that's why I always root for the US team to do well in international competitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I don't see why you can't love both. They're both entirely different games, and take a whole different set of skills. I've been an NFL fan for as long as I can remember, but over the years have been drawn in to football/soccer (people shouldn't get upset at names, for heaven sakes). Few things match the excitement of a World Cup... I've always loved the idea of international competition, and all the rivalries that exist. Beyond that, I've expanded my interest to include this year's version of UEFA Euro. I'm glad the sport has taken on a lot more interest in the United States. As is to be expected, US interest in the sport will be directly tied to the success of the US team, so that's why I always root for the US team to do well in international competitions.
    another thing about football (soccer) and US fans. US fans want scoring!!!

even some people I know that played football (soccer) for almost their entire lives will say to me that they have trouble watching it. the conditioning to want to see scoring in sports. watching 90 mins of a 0-0 or 1-0 sport is not what americans want.

So while I can watch a 1-0 battle of high level soccer, it bores others to tears. The way that casual sports fans don't want to watch a 1-0 hockey game, or a clunker of a basketball game that is 72-68, or even nfl fans that hate a 10-7 defensive battle.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    another thing about football (soccer) and US fans. US fans want scoring!!!

even some people I know that played football (soccer) for almost their entire lives will say to me that they have trouble watching it. the conditioning to want to see scoring in sports. watching 90 mins of a 0-0 or 1-0 sport is not what americans want.

So while I can watch a 1-0 battle of high level soccer, it bores others to tears. The way that casual sports fans don't want to watch a 1-0 hockey game, or a clunker of a basketball game that is 72-68, or even nfl fans that hate a 10-7 defensive battle.

I have a brother who thinks like that. He only enjoys an NFL football game if the final score is 40-35. Personally, I don't mind a good, defensive battle. I've seen 10-7 games I've thoroughly enjoyed. It's all in what you like, I guess.

Hockey's not a favorite of mine, so I could care less whether they score a lot or a little. Basketball's ok I guess... but in this particular game I do like high-scoring affairs.

And football/soccer? I'd like to see more goals, but can fully appreciate a 1-0 game, as long as it involves good passing and ball movement.... as well as a few shots on goal.

It's a matter of opinion, but fans that concentrate only on high-scoring games are missing out on the artistry of the game. There's probably a correlation with real life.... where some people only care about the bottom line, whereas other people appreciate the entire process.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am well aware that cultural factors are important in enjoying sports and was merely jesting about NFL. It does seem a little insular for an outsider but then football, cricket, rugby and many of the most played and watched sports in the world did originate with the British so I could hardly claim to be neutral on the matter. As for ESPN @Master , they never had many games anyway did they? And what fights have they shown recently? I thought boxnation and Sky pretty much tied up the market over here.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ESPN showed the Dallas fight live at 2am FNF and I caught the repeat in the afternoon. They have some good fighters on Hank Lundy, Glenn Johnson will be on soon. The show is very good and updates all boxing events in their new caption.

El Kabong Guest

I am simply a fan of sport in general. I played football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, ice hockey, basketball, I boxed....I did everything but run track ("because I want to be the best at sports not the best at exercising" - Kenny Powers).

I think a lot of this comes back to boxing and how people like seeing different aspects of the sport. Some like slick defense, some like big power punchers, some like brawlers, some like counter punchers, some like pressure fighters or guys who can string together 5-6 punch combinations. I aim to see the skill in all of it. I like when guys have fundamentals so down pat where nothing looks forced and everything flows. I can also appreciate guys that use their heads in the ring and figure out the puzzle of a fighter in front of them.

With Soccer (football) you have to be able to see different aspects of the game. Brazil will show you something totally different than Italy, but they'll both have a tremendous amount of talent on the pitch. Certainly there are bad games (as with anything) just like there are bad fights....but competition, that's what I love!

Thread Information