Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does nationalism have to do with boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What does nationalism have to do with boxing?

When I read the responses to Haye's disgraceful performance from so many of the Brits on this board, I am surprised to see how much nationalism plays a part in partisanship. If you objectively appreciate a fighter's skills and courage, why do you care where he was born? If a fighter lays down, even if he was born down the street from you, don't make excuses.

"Haye proved things", "Haye deserves a rematch". What are you talking about? Billy Conn-Joe Louis is an example of a great small man courageously trying to beat a great big man. This was a fiasco.

And another thing, men are bigger than we used to be; we need a legitimate 200-225 division.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What does nationalism have to do with boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post
    When I read the responses to Haye's disgraceful performance from so many of the Brits on this board, I am surprised to see how much nationalism plays a part in partisanship. If you objectively appreciate a fighter's skills and courage, why do you care where he was born? If a fighter lays down, even if he was born down the street from you, don't make excuses.

"Haye proved things", "Haye deserves a rematch". What are you talking about? Billy Conn-Joe Louis is an example of a great small man courageously trying to beat a great big man. This was a fiasco.

And another thing, men are bigger than we used to be; we need a legitimate 200-225 division.

Have your first cool click. A newbie..... talking sense to some old veterans who should know better. And yeah.... the arguments tend to fall along nationalistic lines (with some notable exceptions). Hence the term "blind fan".

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems some of those that said he was going to win aren't happy to concede anything and so the excuses come in. As a Brit I have no issues with saying Haye proved himself no better and probably worse than other Wlad opponents. Haye proved that he could dance and survive and he also proved that it has all been talk. I struggle to see a way back for him, his reputation which is built on 2 years of nonsense is shattered. Everyone is laughing at him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here is what a courageous small man against a great big man can be.

http://youtu.be/-FQFuLoVpQw

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with the OP.

I am British and I wanted Haye to lose. I didn't like him before the fight and I like him even less now. He was an embarrassment and should hang his head in shame after the way he's been behaving since beating Valuev. He had it coming and I'm glad he's been put in his place at last.

Makes no difference to me where a fighter is from, which is just as well because most British fighters are shit!

I like fighters who are exciting and get on with it like Tyson, Hagler, Hearns, Pac Man, Hatton, Nigel Benn back in the day etc etc etc.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tysonesque View Post
    I agree with the OP.

I am British and I wanted Haye to lose. I didn't like him before the fight and I like him even less now.
    He was an embarrassment and should hang his head in shame after the way he's been behaving since beating Valuev. He had it coming and I'm glad he's been put in his place at last.

Makes no difference to me where a fighter is from, which is just as well because most British fighters are shit!

I like fighters who are exciting and get on with it like Tyson, Hagler, Hearns, Pac Man, Hatton, Nigel Benn back in the day etc etc etc.
    You do realise you are actually disagreeing with his point here?

He's basically saying that British fans are blinded by their patriotic fervour for their fighters and so make excuses but you are proving the exact opposite.

It has nothing to do with nationalism. You are British and you thought Haye was a cunt too. As did I, and I'm another Brit.

So two Brits were both willing Wlad to knock out 'our' man.

Why do you agree with his post again?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The original poster says he doesn't understand why British posters are backing Haye. Read it again.

"When I read the responses to Haye's disgraceful performance from so many of the Brits on this board, I am surprised to see how much nationalism plays a part in partisanship. If you objectively appreciate a fighter's skills and courage, why do you care where he was born? If a fighter lays down, even if he was born down the street from you, don't make excuses."

He says he's surprised how much nationalism plays a part in people supporting a fighter, such as Brits making excuses for Haye.

I agree with him because, although I am not one of them, there are a lot of Brits making excuses for Haye and supporting him for no other reason than because he is British.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What British posters are backing Haye? Most of us wanted to see him get knocked out.

It had nothing to do with nationalism.

Some people hate Wlad for his style, others hate Haye for his mouth.

Those were lines this fight was divided along.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post

I objectively appreciate lots of fighters skills from different countries, but I will ALWAYS (unless it's Audley Harrison) want the British guy to win. That is Patriotism!!!
    I am still objective about the skilss and chances of winning of British fighters though. E.g I have consistantly said I think Haye is shite for the past 8 years and I think his fights against Valuev and Wlad were absolute fooking poop!! I still wanted him to win though
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    What British posters are backing Haye? Most of us wanted to see him get knocked out.

It had nothing to do with nationalism.

Some people hate Wlad for his style, others hate Haye for his mouth.

Those were lines this fight was divided along.
    Dunno about that one fella. Most Brits on here deffo wanted him to win and a lot thought he would. Silly Fuckas
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

generalbulldog is the worst person on the forum for this.

He reads one person from the UK supporting a UK fighter then constantly refers to "bias countrymen" even though there'll be loads against the fighter. Hilarious.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

He reads one person from the UK supporting a UK fighter then constantly refers to "bias countrymen" even though there'll be loads against the fighter. Hilarious.
    But didn't you want Haye to win? And how about hattonthehammer, hitmanhatton, Otley, Eric, hornfinger, adamgb, leftylee, tysonbruno, and probably a few others that I forgot pretty much wanted Haye to win right? Of course to be fair probably 1 or 2 didn't think Haye had what it takes, but nonetheless they still wanted their own countryman to beat Wlad is this not true? And a lot of Brits on here did say Haye would ko Wlad because of the weak chin. Fact.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

But didn't you want Haye to win? And how about hattonthehammer, hitmanhatton, Otley, Eric, hornfinger, adamgb, leftylee, tysonbruno, and probably a few others that I forgot pretty much wanted Haye to win right? Of course to be fair probably 1 or 2 didn't think Haye had what it takes, but nonetheless they still wanted their own countryman to beat Wlad is this not true? And a lot of Brits on here did say Haye would ko Wlad because of the weak chin. Fact.
    How about Miles, Bilbo, Dark Lord Al, Big H, missy, boxingbantz, Fatsanman, tam seddon, etc.. plus all the others I can't remember. These guys weren't supporting Haye. Or certainly didn't give a him a chance of winning. There were plenty of non-Brits supporting Haye. So when you refer to his fans as his "countrymen" it is ridiculous.

You don't seem to be able to distinguish between fans and nationality.

Would you refer to Floyd Mayweather fans as his "countrymen?" Are they all American? Are all Bute fans Canadian? Pac fans Filipino?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    But didn't you want Haye to win? And how about hattonthehammer, hitmanhatton, Otley, Eric, hornfinger, adamgb, leftylee, tysonbruno, and probably a few others that I forgot pretty much wanted Haye to win right?
    True, I wanted Haye to win, didnt expect him to mind and was amazed it went beyond three round. What I want to happen and wht I expect to happen are seldom the same thing.

I can only think of Audley Harrison as an exeption to the rule that says if a British guy is fighting someone from overseas I want them to win (expecting him to is another matter entirely), I dont care if the guys shit and the guy he's fghting is the second coming of SRR, I still want him to win. Anyone who sees it differently has something wrong with them as far as Im concerned.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

British fans are an extremely loyal bunch. They travel with their fighters, support them almost no matter what they do and can make an arena a startlingly wonderful place to be.

The sport is lucky to have them.

Of course the price , in my experience, is often blinders so big they could make TJ Eckelburg blind.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Thread Information