Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Khan/Algieri is official

Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    Con is the most protected fighter that I have seen in a while. I hope Algieri beats him down once and for all.
    You do know Collazo has been heavily avoided by top fighters for the last 5 or 6 years? And was coming off a big KO win over Ortiz, a guy who was an acceptable opponent for Floyd not too long before that. Theres a hell of a lot more fighters more protected then Khan.
    Last edited by Master; 04-05-2015 at 01:26 AM.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amir Khan is afraid Kell Brook will knock him out, claims Carl Froch

“Kell Brook against Amir Khan is a fight that should happen,” he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

“Do I think it will happen? I don’t think it will. I think Amir Khan will make an excuse, whether it is the money or the timing. I just don’t see Khan coming over here.

“I’ve worked him out attitude-wise and I don’t think he fancies it. He thinks he’s above Kell Brook but actually he’s not – Kell Brook is a world champion and he’s quite a big sell now.

“Who would win? I think it’s 50-50. Amir Khan can beat Kell Brook on points over the distance and quite significantly if he boxes right.

“But Brook now, with this newfound love of the sport, and after this leg injury, in his mind I know now he’s thinking this is a second chance.

“He’s so naturally talented and he’s got that punch, and we all know Amir Khan can’t take a shot - he’s got a glass jaw.

“He’s a tough kid and he’s been in there and been hit with shots and come through some sticky situations in some fights but he’s been knocked out quite badly a couple of times. When that happens you know it’s there waiting to happen again and Brook possesses the sort of power to do that.

“It will be a fantastic fight but I think if Brook chins him Khan knows [he’ll lose], so I don’t think we’ll see it.

“Come on Amir Khan. Come over to England and let’s have it.”
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook has identified May 30 as the target date for the first of two defences of his IBF world welterweight title.

His promoters, Matchroom, have an organised card at London’s 02 Arena at the end of May when British pair Lee Selby and Kevin Mitchell challenge for their respective world titles, and Brook is keen to make up for lost time.

“Saturday night was fantastic and I want to capitalise on that win,” said the 28-year-old.

“I came out injury-free and the leg felt great, so I want to box as soon as possible. I said before the fight that I have kept the fans waiting too long – I don’t want that to happen again.”

Brook has lined up British rival Amir Khan for a future bout, with a potential contest that could be scheduled for Wembley Stadum, but the Bolton man is making the unbeaten Brook wait.

Both are reportedly lining up fights over the next month, but Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn reiterated his client's demands to build some momentum after Saturday’s comprehensive win.

Hearn said: “Originally we were planning Kell's next fight for July but he is itching to fight again and we could bring him back as early as May.

"It's been a frustrating period for him but there is no stopping Kell now and we want to get him back in action as soon as possible."

Read more at Kell Brook aims for two title defences by the end of summer amid Amir Khan speculation | talkSPORT

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Con is the most protected fighter that I have seen in a while. I hope Algieri beats him down once and for all.
    You do know Collazo has been heavily avoided by top fighters for the last 5 or 6 years? And was coming off a big KO win over Ortiz, a guy who was an acceptable opponent for Floyd not too long before that. Theres a hell of a lot more fighters more protected then Khan.
    NOBODY was avoiding Collazo...stop it.

Just stop.

jon09 Guest

Collazo is a top journeyman at best and besides Ortiz who has he really beaten besides a worn out Gonzalez? Khan is taking the safe route anymore in hopes of his dream fight against Mayweather which will probably not happen. If Khan really wanted to make a statement he would come to MSG and beat the holy hell out of Broner to lure Mayweather out.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Collazo is a top journeyman at best and besides Ortiz who has he really beaten besides a worn out Gonzalez? Khan is taking the safe route anymore in hopes of his dream fight against Mayweather which will probably not happen. If Khan really wanted to make a statement he would come to MSG and beat the holy hell out of Broner to lure Mayweather out.
    He was unlucky not to get the decision over Hatton. I havent said Algieri is a good fight, pretty much any other fighter would be better but fighting Collazo, Alexander, Garcia, Peterson, Maidana in his first 33 fights isnt exactly a protected fighter, Wilders had 33 fights and fought one live fighter. Floyds opponents after 33 fights werent exactly the best either and not unreasonale to suggest Khans opponents have been better than Floyds. Canelos opponents were piss poor up until he fought Floyd. Hes no more protected than any other ticket seller.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan v Algeri is the equivalent of Kovolev choosing Bika as his next opponent because he went 12 rounds against Stevenson.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan has said today this isnt 100% confirmed (or at least thats what Twitters reporting). Hope he gets a better opponent.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan has said today this isnt 100% confirmed (or at least thats what Twitters reporting). Hope he gets a better opponent.
    He is probably checking what sort of reaction it would get. Take Broner instead Khan.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He is probably checking what sort of reaction it would get. Take Broner instead Khan.
    Tom Craze ‏@Box_Bet 1h1 hour ago
    Has Amir Khan pulled a Mayweather-Alexander-style u-turn on the Algieri fight, after it was all but universally criticised?
    2:12 AM - 5 Apr 2015 · Details

Tom Craze retweeted
    Ray Markarian ‏@RayMarkarian 10h10 hours ago
    .Just spoke with @amirKingKhan. The Khan-Algieri is not 100% confirmed. Story coming soon. #boxing

Probably. Broner, Brook, Thurman, Bradley and Maidana only real acceptable opponents.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was unlucky not to get the decision over Hatton. I havent said Algieri is a good fight, pretty much any other fighter would be better but fighting Collazo, Alexander, Garcia, Peterson, Maidana in his first 33 fights isnt exactly a protected fighter, Wilders had 33 fights and fought one live fighter. Floyds opponents after 33 fights werent exactly the best either and not unreasonale to suggest Khans opponents have been better than Floyds. Canelos opponents were piss poor up until he fought Floyd. Hes no more protected than any other ticket seller.
    After 33 fights Floyd had fought Genaro Hernandez, Angel Manfredy, Emanuel Augustus, Corrales, Castillo x2 and chop chop Corley, and was going on to win his 3rd world title in his 3rd weight division and was considered a top p4p fighter. Khan is no where near that. Khan has fought some good fighters but from the guys you named he only beat 2, squeaked by maidana and lost to the other 2 (1 by KO), so you can't compare him to Floyd. but I agree with you on Wilder and Canelo.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Tom Craze ‏@Box_Bet 1h1 hour ago
    Has Amir Khan pulled a Mayweather-Alexander-style u-turn on the Algieri fight, after it was all but universally criticised?
    2:12 AM - 5 Apr 2015 · Details

Tom Craze retweeted
    Ray Markarian ‏@RayMarkarian 10h10 hours ago
    .Just spoke with @amirKingKhan. The Khan-Algieri is not 100% confirmed. Story coming soon. #boxing

Probably. Broner, Brook, Thurman, Bradley and Maidana only real acceptable opponents.
    Khan is avoiding bi punchers which rules out Thurman and Brooks for the time being. He went life and death with Maidana so Bradley would make good sense since they should have fought at 140lb.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    After 33 fights Floyd had fought Genaro Hernandez, Angel Manfredy, Emanuel Augustus, Corrales, Castillo x2 and chop chop Corley, and was going on to win his 3rd world title in his 3rd weight division and was considered a top p4p fighter. Khan is no where near that. Khan has fought some good fighters but from the guys you named he only beat 2, squeaked by maidana and lost to the other 2 (1 by KO), so you can't compare him to Floyd. but I agree with you on Wilder and Canelo.
    Of course Khan hasnt. Hes lost 3 times. But Im not discussing whos better just level of competition. Augustus was decent but no world beater. Hes on the level of prescott. The others arent much better than Garcia, Peterson and Maidana. Probably slightly better but certainly not much difference to consider Khan the most protected fighter of all time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Of course Khan hasnt. Hes lost 3 times. But Im not discussing whos better just level of competition. Augustus was decent but no world beater. Hes on the level of prescott. The others arent much better than Garcia, Peterson and Maidana. Probably slightly better but certainly not much difference to consider Khan the most protected fighter of all time.
    I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that I wouldn't include Floyd in your post because Floyd beat those guy when they were live fighters (Augustus is underrated) and Corrales was actually a favourite at the time I believe, whereas khan was favourite to beat all those guys easy but he still didn't shine. He isn't the most protected fighter but he is overrated.

I'm still not completely sold on Garcia either tbh he just sits quietly on the sidelines and hasn't challenged any big names or called anyone out, let's see if he fights the likes of Bradley or any of the other WWs now that he's moving up. He's beat Matthysse and Khan but I don't think Matthysse is all that special which we will see when Provo steam rolls him, and I don't see he him beating Khan again in a rematch. Slightly off topic there.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am totally unexcited by this fight, especially as Khan had the potential to thrill us against a real opponent like Thurman.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information