Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Barker vs. Sturm

Is everyone leaning toward Barker? Sturm didn't look great against a doped up Soliman and lost to Geale, but this fight is in Sturm's backyard.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Barker vs. Sturm

I would obviously really like to see barker win and it would be a pity if he didnt because if he won then it would set up at least one or two of these big british middleweight clashes

i have a feeling sturm will be too solid for him tho and will probably win in a close fight if it goes to the scores
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am really looking forward to this one Barker has all the confidence in the world after fighting in the states, Sturm is no mug but not as good as he used to be, he cant keep a good hard pace any more and I think thats Barkers key to victory, keep that gas full on for twelve hard rounds and we should see Sturm unravel late on.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure the bad rap against Germany is justified but as a Barker fan I'm glad he got an immediate rematch clause. I thought Sturm edged Geale and beat Soliman and never got the home call so I'm a little concerned that somebody feels he is owed one. Should be a jab fest

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Barker wins in Germany and then there will be no need for the rematch.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Germany is known for having the most corrupt judges but based on sturm's last few fights, they toned it down a bit it seems.. sturm has been real shaky lately, barely winning on the cards and the gap has been getting closer..

Barker can win this.. but imma probably go with sturm

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sturm in this one. By late stoppage.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2 of the judges selected for this fight are questionable...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sturm will beat Barker. He should of got the wins against Soliman and Geale

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barker is the better fighter at this stage of their careers but I do wonder if now that Darren has achieved his ultimate goal that he may have lost the desire. I hope not because this fight is easily winnable although Sturm has had plenty of German gifts.

Worth noting that there is an immediate rematch in UK clause should Sturm win this.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Barker is the better fighter at this stage of their careers but I do wonder if now that Darren has achieved his ultimate goal that he may have lost the desire. I hope not because this fight is easily winnable although Sturm has had plenty of German gifts.

Worth noting that there is an immediate rematch in UK clause should Sturm win this.

This is exactly what am thinking. He gave everything he had to beat Geale, can he do it again?
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barker is your Gary Neville of Boxing ... hard grafter and does he basics well but for me it stops there.
    If any fighter deserves a little run of glory its Barker tho.
    Comes across a decent fella for a Chelsea fan and is still deeply cut up about his brothers death which was a while ago.

He says that in one fight he was hurt and down on the canvas and had a vision of his brother telling him to get up then went on to win the fight.

Said it a few months ago........

Darren Barker swears he saw his dead brother in the ring 10 days ago in Atlantic City. In the sixth round of his world middleweight title fight, Barker was on the canvas from a brutal body shot, knocked down by opponent Daniel Geale.

“I saw Gary as clear as day. It was vivid, so vivid. He was there. I know it sounds like a movie script, but I saw my brother. He told me to get up.”

Barker made the count – just, at the count of nine – and incredibly went on to win the world IBF middleweight title on points, which he immediately dedicated to his brother, who had died in a car crash on the M1 in 2006. It was raw, and emotional, and the fulfilment of an ambition.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Barker is your Gary Neville of Boxing ... hard grafter and does he basics well but for me it stops there.
    If any fighter deserves a little run of glory its Barker tho.
    Comes across a decent fella for a Chelsea fan and is still deeply cut up about his brothers death which was a while ago.

He says that in one fight he was hurt and down on the canvas and had a vision of his brother telling him to get up then went on to win the fight.

Said it a few months ago........

Darren Barker swears he saw his dead brother in the ring 10 days ago in Atlantic City. In the sixth round of his world middleweight title fight, Barker was on the canvas from a brutal body shot, knocked down by opponent Daniel Geale.

“I saw Gary as clear as day. It was vivid, so vivid. He was there. I know it sounds like a movie script, but I saw my brother. He told me to get up.”

Barker made the count – just, at the count of nine – and incredibly went on to win the world IBF middleweight title on points, which he immediately dedicated to his brother, who had died in a car crash on the M1 in 2006. It was raw, and emotional, and the fulfilment of an ambition.
    Agreed. But because that ambition is now fulfilled I'm wondering if he's content. After winning it I wouldn't have been stunned if he'd retired because injuries have really done him in. I think Barker is technically better than what you're saying though. Skill wise he blows Macklin out of the water and I think he is a better skilled fighter than all of our Middleweights. There was a time when I thought Barker could go on to be a really top middleweight but the loss of his brother took alot out of him and I think he's wrestled with thoughts of retirement ever since that happened. I think it knocked a bit of the killer instinct out of him.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really hope he gets the win but he's gonna need a TKO at least to win on points in Germany ;-)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I really hope he gets the win but he's gonna need a TKO at least to win on points in Germany ;-)
    Same could be said of Sturm for the rematch over here the way our judging / refereeing has gone lately.

Thread Information