Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Career advice for David Price

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Career advice for David Price

I've already assessed the rematch loss Price suffered at the hands of Tony Thompson. At age 29, Price still has time to get his shit back together and make a run at the titles. Wladimir Klitschko went through a similar run of bad luck in losing to Sanders and Brewster when he was about 27/28 years old so Price CAN get better if his heart is in it.

First off Price must address the problems he had vs Tony Thompson. Stamina is the biggest issue that jumps out to most folks, but I believe Price was in solid shape and his poor stamina was actually a result of panic caused by a combination of Thompson's constant pressure and the fact that Thompson got up after a good hard knockdown seemed to take the wind out of Price's sails...very similar to the Wlad-Brewster I fight. Another point people will no doubt bring up is the pawing ineffective jab...I would concur HOWEVER Thompson is a southpaw so I think that should be noted.

Manny Steward God rest his soul, would have been the PERFECT trainer for Price. Lanky, big power, dodgy chin & stamina. And that no doubt would have been the "easy fix", just sign up with Manny and get to training. Now that Manny is no longer with us Price has fewer options especially with proven trainers. I think it would be best for Price to stick with his current trainer and maybe bring in a special coach like Lennox Lewis or Hell work with Wladimir Klitschko and Jonathan Banks, they know what they are doing. The advice given to Price was correct, the training seemed good enough for him to get a KO win as a result, I think the overwhelming majority of work needed to be done on David Price is psychological.

Price has to get used to the fact that everyone will ASSUME Tony Thompson has just blueprinted how to beat David Price. Well that's the great news for Price and I'll tell you why. NOW HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT TO TRAIN FOR. Everyone will come in straight at him and try to wear him down (guys are STILL attempting that vs Wladimir even though his loss to Brewster was 8 or 9 years ago!). Now Price has to re-learn to accept that certain guys you just won't be able to KO, you'll come across some fighters who have a very good chin or an exceptional defense and what you must focus on isn't HURTING your opponent but SCORING clean punches. Keep touching the opponent up and win rounds! Pump the jab, land the right cross, keep distance at your advantage, LEARN TO TIE UP! Don't be afraid to take a knee to gather yourself.

OK, now on to his career path. How to work your way back to get a title shot. #1 take some months off, rest, recovery, and then get back to working on climbing that ladder!

Opponents: You want a guy with no chin first to just get back on the winning streak, then you want guys with solid chin but no power, and then you build on from there. Get rounds in, learn the new elements to your fight plan and I would say that around this time in 2014 David Price should fight Tyson Fury and should humiliate him.

All is not lost for Price, he can do 2 things he can either recover and get better or he can accept that right now he's a broken fighter.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Career advice for David Price

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I've already assessed the rematch loss Price suffered at the hands of Tony Thompson. At age 29, Price still has time to get his shit back together and make a run at the titles. Wladimir Klitschko went through a similar run of bad luck in losing to Sanders and Brewster when he was about 27/28 years old so Price CAN get better if his heart is in it.

First off Price must address the problems he had vs Tony Thompson. Stamina is the biggest issue that jumps out to most folks, but I believe Price was in solid shape and his poor stamina was actually a result of panic caused by a combination of Thompson's constant pressure and the fact that Thompson got up after a good hard knockdown seemed to take the wind out of Price's sails...very similar to the Wlad-Brewster I fight. Another point people will no doubt bring up is the pawing ineffective jab...I would concur HOWEVER Thompson is a southpaw so I think that should be noted.

Manny Steward God rest his soul, would have been the PERFECT trainer for Price. Lanky, big power, dodgy chin & stamina. And that no doubt would have been the "easy fix", just sign up with Manny and get to training. Now that Manny is no longer with us Price has fewer options especially with proven trainers. I think it would be best for Price to stick with his current trainer and maybe bring in a special coach like Lennox Lewis or Hell work with Wladimir Klitschko and Jonathan Banks, they know what they are doing. The advice given to Price was correct, the training seemed good enough for him to get a KO win as a result, I think the overwhelming majority of work needed to be done on David Price is psychological.

Price has to get used to the fact that everyone will ASSUME Tony Thompson has just blueprinted how to beat David Price. Well that's the great news for Price and I'll tell you why. NOW HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT TO TRAIN FOR. Everyone will come in straight at him and try to wear him down (guys are STILL attempting that vs Wladimir even though his loss to Brewster was 8 or 9 years ago!). Now Price has to re-learn to accept that certain guys you just won't be able to KO, you'll come across some fighters who have a very good chin or an exceptional defense and what you must focus on isn't HURTING your opponent but SCORING clean punches. Keep touching the opponent up and win rounds! Pump the jab, land the right cross, keep distance at your advantage, LEARN TO TIE UP! Don't be afraid to take a knee to gather yourself.

OK, now on to his career path. How to work your way back to get a title shot. #1 take some months off, rest, recovery, and then get back to working on climbing that ladder!

Opponents: You want a guy with no chin first to just get back on the winning streak, then you want guys with solid chin but no power, and then you build on from there. Get rounds in, learn the new elements to your fight plan and I would say that around this time in 2014 David Price should fight Tyson Fury and should humiliate him.

All is not lost for Price, he can do 2 things he can either recover and get better or he can accept that right now he's a broken fighter.
    Are you Price's bank manager or David Price himself or didn't you just watch the fight ?

Comparing Price's defeat to Wladimir Klitschko's is not accurate as Klitschko had already won the WBO heavyweight title when he lost to Brewster and Sanders.

I can't think of any fighter of note that has had back to back defeats ON HIS WAY UP and gone on to achieve anything in boxing.

Honestly. I know you are trying to spin something positive out of this but getting beat by Tony Thompson twice ? Well that speaks for itself really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this is some very good advice. As many already suggested, I too think that Price took to large a jump in opponent skill level. Ans fighting Thompson again was a big gamble. Price's team totally miscalculated what they were dealing with in Thompson.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is humble enough to start again and work his way back up.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post
    Are you Price's bank manager or David Price himself or didn't you just watch the fight ?

Comparing Price's defeat to Wladimir Klitschko's is not accurate as Klitschko had already won the WBO heavyweight title when he lost to Brewster and Sanders.

I can't think of any fighter of note that has had back to back defeats ON HIS WAY UP and gone on to achieve anything in boxing.

Honestly. I know you are trying to spin something positive out of this but getting beat by Tony Thompson twice ? Well that speaks for itself really.
    #1 No, I never even really took time to form an opinion of whether or not I like David Price, all I know is he's an easier guy to like than Haye or Fury.

#2 Sure Wlad already had a high pedigree having won a title before, but 15 fights in and fighting one of the better heavyweights out there is nothing to make fun of. Thompson has been avoided for a large majority of his career and for good reason. He's a 6'6 southpaw, with top defense, and a solid chin. Wladimir Klitschko is the ONLY guy to KO Tony Thompson and the only other loss Thompson has besides the 2 to Wlad was waaaaay back in his 5th pro fight. So that says something about Thompson. I'm comparing the mental/psychological state of Price to the Wlad that lost to Brewster and it's a spot on comparison.

#3 Let's see back to back defeats on the way up? Hall of Famer Carmen Basilio lost back-to-back fights 3 different times in his career before he went on to win the welterweight and middleweight titles. I'm certain there are other cases of this.

#4 Tony Thompson is a very good heavyweight, he's criminally underrated. I'd favor him over pretty much anyone not named Klitschko.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Orlando Salido had 2 losses in a row twice early in his career!

El Kabong Guest

Manny Pacquiao lost twice by KO early on in his career before ever winning a title. Granted they weren't back to back defeats but still the point being Price can recover

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a brilliant post and makes a lot of very salient points. One thing though that I can't agree with it and still seems to be spoken as though it is a cast iron truth and that is the idea that Price has a dodgy chin. He took a hellacious shellacking from Thompson who landed a barrage of power punches.Uppercuts, hooks, crosses all landed On Price's head , his jaw, his body pretty much anywhere he pleased and he still couldn't bring the big man down.

"dont get anxious or try going for a shootout start using your jab and your feet a bit more"
    Franny his coach knew what Price needed to do but I think David was so paranoid about getting hit on the ear and going down that he abandoned the game plan and used up too much nervous energy. Until the final round it was certainly not an abject performance and many of the shots Price threw and landed would have finished a lesser man than Thompson. He'll be back.
    Last edited by Beanz; 07-08-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Its a brilliant post and makes a lot of very salient points. One thing though that I can't agree with it and still seems to be spoken as though it is a cast iron truth and that is the idea that Price has a dodgy chin. He took a hellacious shellacking from Thompson who landed a barrage of power punches.Uppercuts, hooks, crosses all landed On Price's head , his jaw, his body pretty much anywhere he pleased and he still couldn't bring the big man down.

"dont get anxious or try going for a shootout start using your jab and your feet a bit more"
    Franny his coach new what Price needed to do but I think David was so paranoid about getting hit on the ear and going down that he abandoned the game plan and used up too much nervous energy. Until the final round it was certainly not an abject performance and many of the shots Price threw and landed would have finished a lesser man than Thompson. He'll be back.
    You could tell Price was tensed up and that could have been because he was amped to land the big homerun punch that redeemed himself or because he had the punch that ended his last fight on his mind.

Price just needs to settle down, relearn how to get comfortable in the ring, and just put the work in to being a more technically sound boxer. Given his size and power if he just focused on the bare bones basics of boxing he would rarely be tested. Snap the punches out, snap them back, keep your range, push off/tie up, use your weight, there are just so many very simple tactics he could use that would make him better than he has been.

Tony Thompson should fight the winner of Haye-Fury and IMO he'd be the favorite to beat both of those guys. He's too sound technically for Fury to take advantage of him ditto for Haye. Haye is very unconventional in how he fights and 1 big punch at a time won't bother Thompson's defense, you have to work to open him up. Thompson's jab alone would see him win those fights (given fair judging)

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's all incredibly optimistic, I don't buy it whatsoever myself. Price isn't a Lennox or Wladimir, he is nowhere near that good or dynamic offensively in the first place and his flaws are not something he'll be able to fight around so easily. Whether it was his mentality foremost, or his stamina actually sucks and he has no idea how to react under pressure, it's still going to rear itself in future bouts because he isn't talented enough to control fights like those great HWs.

It wasn't a lot like Wlad against Brewster, because he was at no point dominating for a length of time, he didn't merely gas himself out but was getting hit well to the body from the start. Until we've seen him in with another fighter who can actually land something decent, I think it's a stretch to say it was all upstairs, or that he did it to himself via nerves. I think that's actually selling Thompson quite short, who obviously came in with a game plan to pressure him early and never had any trouble finding a home for his shots.

El Kabong Guest

I see very fixable problems for Price. The Wlad-Brewster fight was similar because of the knockdowns scored. Wlad put Brewster down and when Brewster got back up, Wlad was defeated...mentally before physically... it was that "awwww fuck, stay down, I beat you....don't get up" kind of mentality he had at the time. A weak psychology, a psychology Price showed when he floored Thompson. Had Price just jumped on the obviously hurt Thompson before the end of the round OR just been patient the next rounds he would have been just fine.

Tony Thompson is a hell of a boxer, he's a very solid well rounded fighter. It took Wlad 11 rounds to stop him the first time and it was very hard work, he was pushing Wlad to the brink in that first fight. Tony is a hell of a boxer and like I said I would favor him over anyone in the division bar Wlad & Vitali.

Price's stamina is easily overcome. How you say? Well he's 6'9 250-ish...how about you clinch and lean and tie up your opponent and make them carry you a bit, that'll level the playing field quite a bit!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Wlad was mentally defeated because Brewster got up, as much as he was already starting to gas out at that point. If anything there isn't a lot to take from that fight about Wlad, I think for some reason he just didn't have much of an engine on the night.

Tony Thompson was a damn fine fighter the first time Wlad fought him, but he's old and slow now and there are a number of other guys who could beat him. You obviously have a vested interest in his standing these days, as Wlad fought him within the last several years so he still must be defended at all costs I admire your persistence, but it's quite thinly veiled given everything you post about the HW division is directly tied to a Klitschko one way or another. Price losing to Thompson has nothing to do with Wlad, everyone knows he's great already just take a load off.

El Kabong Guest

Who would beat Thompson? Name me 5 heavyweights outside the Klitschko's that would beat him.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion, David Haye, Malik Scott, Bryant Jennings,possibly Pulev, Povetkin or even Odlanier Solis would all at least have a great chance to beat him. I think Thompson just looks so slow now, and he's not going to have an easy time hurting most fighters like he did Price, the man is not a hard puncher for his size.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    In my opinion, David Haye, Malik Scott, Bryant Jennings,possibly Pulev, Povetkin or even Odlanier Solis would all at least have a great chance to beat him. I think Thompson just looks so slow now, and he's not going to have an easy time hurting most fighters like he did Price, the man is not a hard puncher for his size.
    I disagree with everyone but I'll let you slide on Pulev.

Haye throws 1 punch at a time, fights from distance, and has shown he's unwilling to mix it up with a heavyweight that big. UD Thompson (in the US of course). I just really don't like Haye vs anyone he doesn't have a great shot of knocking out. He's got gobs of talent but never has used it properly...that's what he gets for having some fruitcake spin class instructor as his trainer. Haye should have hired Freddy Roach

Scott is pure garbage

Jennings is young and quick, but has he ever had to open up a fighter like Thompson? Until he does I'll side with Tony.

Povetkin is one dimensional and a flake...you'll see

Solis is fat and looks for 1 punch too

Tony Thompson is like the tortoise in the fable the Tortoise and the Hare...he's got a slow and steady workrate, an excellent defense, and he wins rounds. Hard to beat that, it's very difficult to beat that

Thread Information