Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ricky Hatton v Marco Antonio Barrera

Ricky Hatton set to come out of retirement and make comeback against Mexican legend

Hatton is in 'advanced' talks to make a historic comeback against fellow boxing great Marco Antonio Barrera at the age of 43 in his first appearance sing hanging up his gloves in 2012

Ricky Hatton is in 'advanced' talks to make a historic return to the ring against fellow boxing legend Marco Antonio Barrera.

The British star has not fought since he was defeated by Vyacheslav Senchenko in a ninth-round stoppage back in 2012.

He was one of the most popular British fighters in the modern era and has shared the ring with the likes of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

According to a report from The Sun, talks are now "advanced" for Hatton to return to the ring in an exhibition bout with 48-year-old Barrera.

Reports suggest that negotiations are yet to be completed but have progressed to an advanced stage for the 43-year-old to make his boxing comeback.

Hatton has resumed boxing training in recent months and regularly shows himself thumping pads and working out to his social media followers.

He's also been joining in with his son Campbell's sessions, who is launching his professional career with promotion Matchroom Boxing.

Barrera is a household name amongst boxing fans having won multiple world titles in three-weight classes including super-bantamweight and featherweight.

He has also shared the ring with Pacquiao twice losing on both occasions and has also fought Amir Khan in the antepenultimate fight of his career.

The Mexican star has already taken to the exhibition circuit facing domestic challenges against Jesus Soto Karass and Daniel Ponce De Leon in the last year.

Any bout staged would continue a trend of former boxers making exhibition appearances which began with the heavyweight clash between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr.

Oscar De La Hoya has previously signed to make a re-appearance in the ring with Evander Holyfield also involved in a farcical clash with Vitor Belfort.

Hatton has previously spoken fondly of making an exhibition return and believes that it gives former fighters a chance to showcase their skills for new fans.

"I am all for these dream fights we keep hearing about," Hatton wrote for the Metro. "I have youngsters coming up to me, saying, ‘I’ve watched your fights on video but I never got to see you live!’

"And I think that is why I’m a fan of these exhibitions. You’re not going to see your heroes get seriously hurt, it is a chance to see them showcase their skills one last time and you can raise a bit of money for charity too, so I’m all for it.

"There’s a couple of picks that spring to mind for me. "If we are talking domestically, I would still love to see Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch.

"They very nearly came close to fighting, Joe was coming to the end, Carl was coming to the forefront. There is always those what-ifs, so if it were an exhibition between those two I think that would be quite a nice one for fight fans.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...ition-26205173
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ricky Hatton v Marco Antonio Barrera

Sparring in an exhibition is not “making a comeback’ though Master.

just to name a few gloved heavyweight champs who boxed exhibitions after they had retired …. Sullivan, Corbett, Fitzsimmons, Jeffries, Johnson, Hart, Willard, Dempsey, Tunney, Baer, Carnera, Louis, Charles, Walcott, Ali, Holmes, Witherspoon, Dokes, Thomas, Smith, Page, Tubbs, Tyson. They didn’t count them as comebacks!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just Don't

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heavyweight?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton was at pains to mention “exhibition” 3 or 4 times and alluding to making money for charity, which would be great.
    So long as it’s not the same charity Fury “gave his purse” to for one of his Wilder fights. Now which charity benefitted from that…………..??
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What an odd choice for a match up. I like both fighters, but I don’t think I ever wondered what it would look like for these two to share a ring and trade punches. Ricky vs Miguel Cotto, Oscar, Tim Bradley…etc., makes more sense to me. I don’t feel like this exhibition will sell much- this match up just doesn’t seem to have that “intrigue” factor. Maybe since both have great fan bases (Mexican and British fans are so loyal and passionate!) it will do good numbers…

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weight: YES

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MARCO ANTONIO BARRERA is excited by the prospect of a legend versus legend clash with Ricky Hatton - but he feels 'weird' about facing his old pal.

SunSport revealed earlier this month that preliminary talks over an exhibition bout between the former world champions had taken place.

But Mexican mauler Barrera, 48, will find it strange sharing the ring with the Manchester Hitman after years of friendship.

He told SunSport: "Ricky Hatton was one of the best from the UK fighters there ever was, our friendship was so close that even I went to all of his fights and he came to all of my fights.

"Ricky Hatton’s style is very similar to the Mexican style, just going forward throwing punches there’s no running, not a lot of waste of movement in throwing punches.

"Yes, Ricky Hatton and I are great friends, we haven’t seen each other in years, so going on and getting in the ring will be weird, but we’ll kind of sit down and talk a little bit."

Should the fight come to fruition, Barrera plans to break out the training regime he used when he was at the peak of his powers.

He revealed: "I would do a very similar style of training when I was preparing for my fights."

But the former three-weight world champ isn't expecting an easy return to full training after 11 years of retirement.

He said: "Ricky is a very good fighter.

"He’s a fighter who goes forward, so it would be a tough camp.

"Ricky’s 43, I’m 48, he’s five years younger than me but he is very good. Since I’ve retired I’ve been running every single day and keep fit.

"Mental preparation is way more important than physical preparation.

"As a matter of fact, as an example, when I was fighting Eric Morales I was telling myself no one can beat me, any boxer in this world can’t beat me, and he won’t beat me.

"Same thing with Naseem Hamed – I signed to beat him, I signed to win and that’s exactly what I did.

"You have to prepare yourself mentally when you step into the ring and you’ve go to do exactly what you put into the training."

He added: "For me to fight Ricky Hatton, I will need to get into good shape and be in physical form so people can see I’m in good form.

"Also in exhibition fights, there’s no winner. It’s to entertain the people and it will be a very good fight for the people."

As much as El Barreta is looking forward to sharing the ring with his old buddy, he wouldn't mind having a catch-up with him before they try to take each other's heads off.

He said: "My regards to Ricky I’ve not seen him for a long time and second, call me!

"It’s an honour to know that he talked about me and considered me for his comeback fight so we’re excited to make this happen."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17743...t-boxing-news/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information