Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "Monster" Storm hitting the U.S. North East late monday evening

I don't recall a hurricane ever hitting New York City, but guess what, it looks like it will happen. This looks like it will be one of the worst natural disasters ever.

Hurricane Sandy Bears Down on East Coast - WSJ.com

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: "Monster" Storm hitting the U.S. North East late monday evening

*yawn* ....not even a Cat 2.....that calls for a PAAAAARTAAAAAY. Though the Yankees are liable to shit their pants at any weather that's not snow or ice

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope all affected by the storm are OK and survive unscathed.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They've been building it up in this country as one of the worst storms ever.

Hope it doesn't effect anyone on here.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And the New York marathon is on Sunday and I know some people who's stuck in Copenhagen! They had to turn around halfway over the ocean!
    Wonder If they planning on moving the marathon a couple of weeks or anything! My mates said they start flying to newyork on friday. Running with jet lag hope they send live!

Crazy crazy!

Cheers!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not the worst storm ever by any stretch of the imagination. It's just the first time a hurricane of any kind is going to smack into NYC without first having raked through Florida and the Carolinas first.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the concern guys. I honestly don't know who is on here that was still around when I was a regular, but it's actually pretty bad. Me personally, we're getting hit with some crazy wind and a lot of rain. Parts of my roof have been flying off throughout the day and the storm is technically supposed to start around 8pm local time, 2 hours from now. I'm usually carefree about ominous weather forecasts cause I ALWAYS believe the weather professionals are clueless but to be honest, it's starting to look bad. Just from looking outside of my windows, trees and branches are everywhere but thank God we're not in a flood zone. News footage of the rest of the other parts of New Jersey/New York look catastrophic and the hurricane hasn't even started.

The entire city of New York is shut down and I don't think I've ever been alive to see that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    Thanks for the concern guys. I honestly don't know who is on here that was still around when I was a regular, but it's actually pretty bad. Me personally, we're getting hit with some crazy wind and a lot of rain. Parts of my roof have been flying off throughout the day and the storm is technically supposed to start around 8pm local time, 2 hours from now. I'm usually carefree about ominous weather forecasts cause I ALWAYS believe the weather professionals are clueless but to be honest, it's starting to look bad. Just from looking outside of my windows, trees and branches are everywhere but thank God we're not in a flood zone. News footage of the rest of the other parts of New Jersey/New York look catastrophic and the hurricane hasn't even started.

The entire city of New York is shut down and I don't think I've ever been alive to see that.
    Man I love reading about these stuff! Keep us updated if you want and are able to!
    Of course I don't want anything to happend to you or anyone in New York but I it's pretty cool to se what the weather can do to us! It's intreassting though'. Hold on tight because it will be windy!
    Hope y'all be fine!

Regards, Xwetie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aside from the weather, right now this is the most trending story caused by the hurricane:

Crane dangles from NYC high-rise, clearing streets - Yahoo! News

If you've ever been to New York City, you know how packed and lively it is. This is what it's looked like since last night:

Flickr: Empty New York | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've sat in cat.1's to cat.5's and let me tell you...the numbers can be very misleading. If you've never had to prepare for landfall and more so aftermath it's just as bad as it gets. The surge on this one looks substantial and anytime they start throwing around 'once in a lifetime', yeh. Been there. Most recently we were hit with a 1 and it kicked the shit outta us as it stalled and spun. Fortunately this one has a good clip and scattered and is projected to turn, hopefully wide and not sudden backspin. Its at this stage I'd tell friends to turn off the tv if power is still up. The anticipation and unknown literally leaves you mentally drained. If your in the shit...stay safe and hunker down if evac is not called. Oh and beer.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good luck. We saw on the news all the supermarket shelves were stripped bare too.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Good luck. We saw on the news all the supermarket shelves were stripped bare too.
    That's normal, better question is "Will the supermarket be there later".
    Hidden Content Boot Hill, Where the Real Fights Are Fought.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least 18 dead, millions without power in Sandy's aftermath:

At least 18 dead, millions without power in Sandy's aftermath | Fox News

El Kabong Guest

The issues NYC/New Jersey etc are having are due to the population density, the fact that NYC is surrounded by water (the river exacerbates things), and the various tunnels & subways. It will be costly to fix, but things could have been MUCH worse....imagine if a Hurricane takes that track in August when the water is at it's warmest. Then we're talking anywhere from a cat 2 to a cat 4 and those would really hammer New York not to mention any tornadoes that could spin off a storm of that strength.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    The issues NYC/New Jersey etc are having are due to the population density, the fact that NYC is surrounded by water (the river exacerbates things), and the various tunnels & subways. It will be costly to fix, but things could have been MUCH worse....imagine if a Hurricane takes that track in August when the water is at it's warmest. Then we're talking anywhere from a cat 2 to a cat 4 and those would really hammer New York not to mention any tornadoes that could spin off a storm of that strength.
    This was pretty bad and yeah what made it so bad was the population density, I feel for these people. 7,000,000 without power. 33 + dead, make no mistake, in terms of storm damage, this was one the worst ever.

Thread Information