Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to be a volume puncher

I was just watching a Kassim Ouma fight and I was wondering where these voLume punchers get there energy? Is it because they are sacrificing power? Also,there is a boxer called Juan Diaz,the baby bull,He throws loads and loads of punches BUT he never does roadwork! He swims and cycles instead!! I remember the commentators and Lennox Lewis talking about when he fought on the Zab/PBF undercard,is that possible??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to be a volume puncher

now why on earth...

you wouldnt have happened to catch the toney/barkley fight? that fight introduced the term 'barkley' into my vocabulary ex: to barkley someone, he had been barkleyed, if he fights like that he will be barkleyed, you want to get hit? youre acting like some kinda barkley etc etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did not mention once that I wanted to be a volume puncher,merely asked how they manage to maintain such high levels of energy and if it is at the expense of power

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well then that i dont know. i guess you stumped me.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive always found well 90% of the time its whom your Ancestors are Genetics.Also a big help is preparation,doing lots of arobic, preparation getting asolid foundation to work from.Pluslots of stretching the whole body It stops or minumizes your chance of injury and stops negative signals, being transmitted. Then go onto the heavy stuff, with a good solid and stable form The saying no pain no gain is bollocks. I have never seenanybody work Anorobicly Max for more than 2 1/2 mins ever. They will throw what I call Fairys andGiants every shot is not power.Just read your 2 post anyway hope this helps
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If a man has power thats not going to go away because hes fast ,however, i do think the first two and last two punches would be most powerful. Generally when my coach has me throw around 7 punches on the hand pads he tells my to swivel my hips on the first two and last two punches; in the middle of the combination you should be set in a sturdy position

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A guy with power has speed and Technique, I dont want to be in the same ring as him unless Im in his corner.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With no disrespect intended, if your coach is telling you to throw combinations as you described he is misleading you. If you are familiar with Juan Diaz you are aware that he throws a ton of punches he can't break an egg. This is because he punches from a set position- in his last fight he'd be leaning unto his left leg, start a combination and throw left/right/left/right etc...5,6,7 blows. All of the time on the front foot which is why he lacks any pop in his punch. When you throw a hook a right hand or an uppercut the force comes from the twist at the hips, which is only possible if the wt is shifted from leg to leg. That is also how balance is maintained.
    It is common to vary the force of punches in a combination- if you've hurt him to the body for example the hook down stairs is the one you may choose to set down on. The others you just snap out with brisk wt shifts from foot to foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you through a power punch you need your hips and if your weight is one your front leg at any time your doing it wrong... who ever said juan diaz is right I got more power than him. to throw 7 punches while swiveling your hips on every punch is unnecessary. When you through punches like that in the middle of the combination your opponent should be confused and not aware of where the next punch is coming from this sets him up to get hurt by your last 2big punches. Its because your goal is to throw the punches with speed and what a boxer doesnt see coming hurts like hell

i got lots of pop and that comes from keeping my weight on my back leg

It could be possible that we're not understanding each other trying to describe technique through text but I know the way im doing it is affective and I know my trainer is well qualified and well respected in Houston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

while i throw punches I always keep good balance my coach is always making sure my feet are in the right position

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the difference is in the usage of the terms weight shift and swiveling the hips. What I am talking about is this:from a basic stance - left foot flat on floor, rt heel up @ 2"- I want to throw a rt-lhook-rt-2 lhook-rt- lhook combination. To throw the rt my wt goes onto the left leg; the hook requires the wt go back to the rt leg; then back to the left...etc... You know all that. I am referring to swift shifts- if you begin with the rt heel up its easy, a mere matter of alternately having one foot then the other flat on the floor. Do you see? I can get wt behind each punch and it doesn't slow me down and as I describe it you can punch for longer intervals without getting winded because you are merely turning your body.
    Swiveling the hips...Right-on the punches you are really looking to damage with you turn all the way through with the hips, like when swinging a bat. When throwing fast sequences the movement is the same as a dancer uses to get a lot of movement from their ...uh...rear. For a test of balance try taking two paint cans- gallon size- and stand on them and try and hit the mitts for a second. If you don't shift the wt from foot to foot,and if it isn't shifted in the proper order you'll fall off the cans. But if you are doing it correctly you can hit the mitts as you would normally. Its a great way to check your balance and to ingrain proper technique in that large muscle memory.
    Finally, about which punch egts the big power turn. Watch Toney/Holyfield,or Toney/Hembrick. In both fights Toney throws the exact same series of punches again and again. Roughly it was rt hook body, right upper head, left hk body left upper head, rt upper head left hook body. He changes the tempo every time; first the hard punch is the 1st rt upper and the 1st left upper, then it will be the 2nd hook to the body and 3rd rightr upper. He kept working the same squence over and over and landing the hard punches every time because they were never in the same place twice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with that I think we just had a little miscommunication. As far as the combinatioin toney uses all those hooks are power shots. You can throw several hooks and for some reason i believe its proper to put everything into them. The type of combinations i was referring to for example would be (coming from a right handed person) would be jab, straight right, left hook, right upper, left upper, jab, straight right. During the two uppers its not really neccessary to do the whole dip down and come up for power sequence when throwing them with that combo because you want to hurry up and put them in there. You should still use your legs to some extent but not the same way you would when you threw a right upper off a jab

Thread Information