Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Karl Mildenberger ~ 'I Had The Formula To Beat Cassius Clay'

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Oh well, at least it was used as a good training session for Ali, he got to build some rounds without any danger to himself was a good move to use it like a sparring session and do round building once he realized there was no real threat.
    'Milde'

Was a decent boxer with fairly good hand-speed. Though he was a southpaw, he positioned
    himself with a 'squared up stance' and was open for straight right-hand leads.

'Milde' had a flicking quick right-jab, but he had no power at all.

As for size, 'Milde' stood at 6' 1 1/2" and had a 74" Reach, and weighed only 194 lbs.

He was not a big Heavyweight, and was not overly strong or physical.

Defensively, he was below-average, despite having a good bob-and-weave style.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Oh well, at least it was used as a good training session for Ali, he got to build some rounds without any danger to himself was a good move to use it like a sparring session and do round building once he realized there was no real threat.
    'Milde'

Was a decent boxer with fairly good hand-speed. Though he was a southpaw, he positioned
    himself with a 'squared up stance' and was open for straight right-hand leads.

'Milde' had a flicking quick right-jab, but he had no power at all.

As for size, 'Milde' stood at 6' 1 1/2" and had a 74" Reach, and weighed only 194 lbs.

He was not a big Heavyweight, and was not overly strong or physical.

Defensively, he was below-average, despite having a good bob-and-weave style.
    Yeah perfect to build a few rounds up sparring for Ali. Why the 11 pages on it ? We going for the record of most pages on a non event?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Max Schmeling ~

Comparing Cassius Clay to Joe Louis, after watching Cassius struggle with Karl Mildenbger.

"Simply put, Joe would kill Clay."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Max Schmeling ~

Comparing Cassius Clay to Joe Louis, after watching Cassius struggle with Karl Mildenbger.

Yes because Joe Louis fought exactly like Karl Mildenberger.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Round 11 ~

0:02 > Both meet at Center-Ring.
    0:03 > Mildenberger still looks be OK.
    0:07 > Mildenberger starts to move to his right.
    0:08 > Cassius has his hands up high.

0:11 > Mildenberger is 'pawing' at his left-eye, which is cut badly.
    0:14 > Cassius flicks in '5' quick left-jabs, targeting the Challenge's left-eye.
    0:25 > Both are circling at Center-Ring.
    0:29 > Mildenberger is pressing, and is making the fight now.

0:32 > Cassius moves to the back Ropes.
    0:36 > Cassis circles 180*, and backs to Center-Ring while poking the Challenger with '2' left-jabs.
    0:39 > Mildenberger counters with '2' right-jabs.
    0:41 > Mildenberger catches the Champion with a sharp right-hook under the chin.

0:42 > Cassius is driven into the front-left Corner.
    0:43 > Cassius grabs Mildenberger, and clinches.
    0:45 > Cassius spins out 180*, and backs out to Center-Ring.
    0:47 > Mildenberger catches the Champion with a 'jarring' right to the chin.

0:50 > Cassius fires in a 'left-right'.
    0:52 > Cassius backs up to the back-right Ring area.
    0:56 > Cassius moves into the back-right Corner.
    0:57 > Mildenberger flicks in '3' right-jabs to the head.

0:58 > Mildenberger is now sporting a large welt under the left-eye.
    0:59 > Cassius circles out to his left and to Center-Ring.
    1:00 > Mildenberger catches the Champion with a big sweeping left-hook to the chin.
    1:04 > Cassius flings out '5' fast left-jabs, but only '1' lands.

1:08 > Cassius circles to his left 360*.
    1:12 > Mildenberger has problems seeing out of his left-eye.
    1:15 > Cassius sends in a good left-jab to the Challenger's left-eye.
    1:22 > Mildenberger steps in, and lands a solid 'double' right to the Champion's body.

1:24 > Mildenberger lands with a 'right-left' as he walks straight into the Champion.
    1:26 > Cassius counters with a left-hook.
    1:28 > Both fighters move to Center-Ring.
    1:30 > Cassius backs up to the back Ropes.

1:32 > Mildenberger is still pressing.
    1:38 > Cassius left-jabs at the Challenger's eye's.
    1:41 > Both fighters are now at Center-Ring.
    1:43 > The Champion has the look of 'frustration' that he cannot stop the Challenger.

1:50 > Mildenberger steps forward, and lands with a light 'double' right-jab.
    1:52 > Cassius is backing up again.
    1:54 > Mildenberger is showing courage and determination.
    1:55 > Mildenberger is forcing the fight.

1:59 > Cassius tries with '2' left-uppercuts as Mildenberger comes forward.
    2:00 > Mildenberger counters with an overhand-left to the head.
    2:02 > Mildenberger follows up with '2' right-jabs to the face.
    2:04 > Cassius circles to he left 360*.

2:06 > Cassius can't keep the Challenger off of him.
    2:08 > Cassius tries to grab the Challenger as he moves in close.
    2:09 > Mildenberger digs in with a 'left-right-left' to the body.
    2:11 > Cassius slides over to the left-side Ring area.

2:15 > Both miss with left-hooks.
    2:17 > Cassius moves to the back Ring area.
    2:18 > Cassius lands with a good left-jab to the eye area.
    2:19 > Mildenberger counters with a fast 'right-right-left', but the punches lack any zip.

2:25 > Both fighters are at Center-Ring, and are circling each other.
    2:26 > Cassius lands with a left-jab to the head.
    2:29 > Mildenberger scores with a right to the body.
    2:31 > Both are at Center-Ring.

2:34 > The Champion flicks in a back-handed left-jab with an open-glove.
    2:36 > Referee - Teddy Waltham steps in, and warns the Champion for the 'open-glove' punch.

2:40 > Mldenberger moves inside, and scores with a 'right-left'.
    2:42 > Cassius starts circling again.
    2:48 > There is a 'lull' in the action.
    2:50 > Cassius has 'nothing' on his punches.

2:54 > Mildenberger goes back to pressing forward.
    2:57 > Cassius moves to the front Ring area.
    2:56 > Cassius 'misses' with '2' left-uppercuts.
    3:00 > 'Bell'

Round 11 > Clearly for Karl Mildenberger.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Comments after Round 11 ~

Howard Cosell >
    "The Champion is going to have a lot of explaining to do after this fight. He has a
    hurt fighter in front of him, and he cannot put him away. What do you think Joe."

Joe Louis >
    "This Mildenberger is tough, but he's wide open for the straight right-hand. There
    is no quit in him, and he can hardly see out if his left eye. But this man has a lot
    of courage and determination. He wants to win, just not survive."

Howard Cosell >
    "But he's had Mildenberger down '3' times in this fight Joe, and he cannot keep him
    down. He looks completely frustrated."

Joe Louis >
    "He can't punch Howard."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Max Schmeling >
    "That's another Round for Karl. He's losing, but he's still in the fight. Clay is good, but
    he has not impressed me all that much."

"If Karl had a punch, he may have ended this fight in that Round. I'm shocked. Is this
    Clay easy to hit or what."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingemar Johansson >
    "This is funny. I would have ended this bout a long long time ago. Karl's chin is not that
    strong. Clay can't break-an-egg."

"This is making me think about coming back."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-15-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Racist US boxing writers came up with this against Joe Louis: America's white press began promoting Louis' image in the context of the era's racism; nicknames they created included the "Mahogany Mauler", "Chocolate Chopper", "Coffee-Colored KO King", "Safari Sandman", and one that stuck: "The Brown Bomber".

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali had a number of weaknesses as a fighter. He did not have an orthodox style and never learned the rudiments of classical boxing. Ali made many tactical errors in the ring. Ali did not know how to properly hold his hands, or how to duck (he pulled back or sidestepped), nor did he know how to parry or to block a jab!

Ken Norton’s trainer Eddie Futch said, (Anderson pg. 233), “The jab was a big reason Muhammad Ali never figured out why he had so much trouble with Ken Norton in their three fights.”

Joe Louis said of Ali in his autobiography (Louis p 260), “Ali’s a great fighter, (but) he made too many mistakes, his hands are down a lot, and he takes too many punches to the body. I know what I’m talking about.”

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scorecards thru Round 11 ~

Round......Referee - Teddy Waltham.........Judge - Nat Fleischer..........Judge - Felix Ohlert.........Expert - Bill Paxtom
    1......................... Clay ..................................... Clay ................................ Clay .............................. Clay .................
    2......................... 'Even' .................................. Clay ................................ 'Even' ............................ Mildenberger ....
    3......................... Mildenberger ........................ Mildenberger .................. Mildenberger .................. Mildenberger ....
    4......................... Clay ..................................... Mildenberger .................. Mildenberger .................. Mildenberger ....
    5......................... Clay {+1} ............................ Clay ............................... Clay ............................... Clay .................
    6......................... Clay ..................................... Clay ............................... Clay ............................... Clay ................
    7......................... Clay ..................................... Clay ............................... Clay ............................... 'Even' ..............
    8......................... Clay {+1} ............................ Clay {+1} ....................... Clay {+1} ....................... Clay {+1} .......
    9......................... Mildenberger ........................ Clay ............................... 'Even' ............................. Mildenberger ....
    10....................... Clay {+1} ............................ Clay {+1} ....................... Clay {+1} ....................... Clay {+1} ........
    11....................... 'Even' .................................. Mildenberger .................. Mildenberger ................... Mildenberger ....

Round............. Joe Louis ......................... Max Schmeling.................... 'Stars and Stripes' ............... 'UPI'...............
    1........................ Clay ................................ 'Even' .................................. Clay................................. Clay ...............
    2........................ 'Even' ......... ................... Mildenberger ........................ 'Even' .............................. Clay ...............
    3........................ Mildenberger ................... Mildenberger ........................ 'Even' ............................. 'Even' .............
    4........................ Mildenberger ................... Mildenberger ........................ Clay ............................... 'Even' .............
    5........................ Clay {+1} ........................ Clay {+1} ............................ Clay ................................ Clay ...............
    6........................ Clay ................................. Clay .................................... Clay ................................ Clay ..............
    7........................ 'Even' .............................. 'Even' .................................. Clay ................................ Clay ..............
    8........................ Clay {+1} ........................ Clay {+1} ............................ Clay {+1} ....................... Clay {+1} ......
    9........................ Mildenberger .................... Mildenberger ....................... Clay ............................... 'Even ' ............
    10...................... Clay {+1} ......................... Clay {+1} ........................... Clay {+1} ....................... Clay {+1} ......
    11...................... Mildenberger .................... Mildenberger ....................... Mildenberger ................... 'Even' ............
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-16-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    ~ Max Schmeling ~

I think that was the point @Master..

That he would have been in deep water against Louis if he struggled so badly with featherfist cruiser Mildenberger.

I don't agree. I mean the best Joe Louis might have beaten the young 60's "PRIME" if you will Clay. But Louis could not have beaten the stronger 70's version no way.

Imo even the young Clay, up on his toes running around, would have done a paint job on stiff necked, concrete boots Louis.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    ~ Max Schmeling ~

That he would have been in deep water against Louis if he struggled so badly with featherfist cruiser Mildenberger.

I don't agree. I mean the best Joe Louis might have beaten the young 60's "PRIME" if you will Clay. But Louis could not have beaten the stronger 70's version no way.

Imo even the young Clay, up on his toes running around, would have done a paint job on stiff necked, concrete boots Louis.
    You do not see the bigger point do you?

Styles make fights and a slick southpaw causes Ali some minor problems more than a pedestrian orthodox fighter. Either way Ali wins.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    ~ Max Schmeling ~

You do not see the bigger point do you?

Styles make fights and a slick southpaw causes Ali some minor problems more than a pedestrian orthodox fighter. Either way Ali wins.
    Yeah I agree with that.

Southpaws usually make the more difficult opponents. True!

Cudos to Ali for overcoming his Southpaw adversary. He fought all comers (unlike some of my favourites like Lewis or Tyson)... Respect!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Round 12 ~

0:01 > Both meet at Center-Ring.
    0:03 > Cassius circles left.
    0:09 > Cassius changes up, and circles right.
    0:14 > Mildenberger is pressing, and flicking out 'light' right-jabs.

0:15 > Cassius moves to the right-side Ring area.
    0:18 > Mildenberger lands with a right-hand to the mid-section.
    0:22 > Cassius circles right to the left-side Ring area.
    0:28 > Cassius moves to the right-side Ring area.

0:32 > Mildenberger scores with '5' straight right-jabs to the Champion's face.
    0:34 < Cassius moves into the right-side Ropes.
    0:36 > Cassius backs up along the front Ropes to the left-side Ring area.
    0:38 > Mildenberger pecks in with '2' right-jabs.

0:40 > Cassius backs up to Center-Ring, and 'misses' with a left-right.
    0:42 > Mildenberger counters with a fast 'double' right-jab.
    0:44 > Cassius moves to the back Ring area.
    0:45 > Mildenberger lands with a 'solid' right-left as Cassius tries to grab and hold.

0:47 > Cassius is pushed into the back-right Corner.
    0:49 > Cassius gets free.
    0:51 > Both trade with jabs to the face.
    0:54 > Cassius back-pedals across the Ring to the left-side Ring area.

0:55 > Cassius catches Mildenberger coming in with a 'jarring' right-hook to the chin.
    0:57 > Mildenberger bounces into the left-front Ropes.
    0:59 > Mildenberger steps forward to Center-Ring.
    1:01 > Cassius is backing away and moving.

1:07 > Mildenerbger is pressing, and making the fight.
    1:10 > Mildenberger misses with a 'big-sweeping' right-hook as Cassius leans back near the back-right Ring area.
    1:13 > Cassius moves to the front-right Ring area.
    1:14 > Cassius catches Mildenberger moving forward with '2' left-jabs to the left-eye.

1:15 > Cassius 'misses' with a big right-hand.
    1:16 > Cassius scores with a left-uppercut, but misses with a right-uppercut/hook.
    1:18 > Mildenberger moves backwards to the right-side Ropes.
    1:21 > Cassius lands with a light left-jab.

1:22 > MIldenberger counters with a right-jab.
    1:23 > Mildenberger's nose is now bleeding, along with the cut on the left-eye area.
    1:25 > Cassius backs out '1-Step' towards Center-Ring.
    1:26 > Mildenberger steps forward off the right-side Ropes.

1:27 > Cassius catches Mildenberger coming forward with a 'tremendous' right-hand to the face.
    1:28 > Mildenberger is 'shaken', and backs up to the right-side Ropes.
    1:29 > Cassius steps forward and is looking to follow up.
    1:30 > Referee - Teddy Waltham steps in and stops the bout.

Cassius Clay is awarded a TKO win at 1:30 of Round 12.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-16-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Cassius Clay lands a 'jolting' right-hand to the chin of Karl Mildenberger ~

At the {1:27 Mark} of Round 12, Champion - Cassius Clay catches Challenger - Karl Mildenberger
    flush on the chin with a 'tremendous' right-hand.

The Challenger 'badly shaken', then moved backwards into the right-side Ropes.

3-Seconds later, Referee - Teddy Waltham jumped in and stopped the bout at {1:30}>

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ After Bout Comments ~

Champion - Cassius Clay

"I hurt my right-hand in Round 3 {2:03 Mark}, when I caught him in the jaw. I think I may
    have broke it. That is why I couldn't get him out of there."

He's very tricky. He gave me a lot of angles, and he comes in with an awkward rush. It was
    a good fight. He deserves a rematch."

"Mildenberger hit me more than anybody else has. He's much better than I thought."

"I lost to '2' southpaw in the Amateurs. Both Amos Johnson and Johnny Hamilton beat me.
    They were very difficult to figure out."

"Mildenberger hurt me '4-Times' in the bout. He hurt me 'twice' in the 3rd-Round, and I
    actually saw 'stars'. In Round 9 > he caught me with a good right-hook to the chin at the
    {1:20 Mark} that backed me up into the corner."

"He also hit me with a good body punch in Round 10 {0:48 Mark}, and it felt like a knife going
    through my sides. He caught me good with that straight left-hand."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Louis >

"At first I thought that Mildenberger would be lucky to last a couple of Rounds. But he
    got better in Training, and I figured that he would make it thru 10 Rounds."

"Mildenberg won a couple of Rounds solidly, and won a few other by a razor's edge. He
    surprised a lot of people."

"The Challenger was determined, and showed tremendous courage. He fought a good fight,
    and he shook up Clay 'two times' with good punches."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 03-16-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Thread Information