Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Does Povetkin have a cold or just cold feet?

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Does Povetkin have a cold or just cold feet?

So Wladimir Klitschko had to do the press conference for his upcoming fight all by himself because Alexander Povetkin was "sick" and couldn't travel. One would think that this event wouldn't effect the Spetember 11th fight date BUT contact with the IBF's #2 mandatory contender Sam Peter may have already been made as a just in case option for that date. There was a time where everyone wanted a Wladimir Klitschko-Sam Peter II, and I'm wondering about a couple of things

1. Will Wlad-Povetkin happen?
    2. Is Povetkin really sick or is he or his camp worried about the fight
    3. After seeing a fit Sam Peter fight recently would you be interested in seeing Klitschko-Peter II?

El Kabong Guest

The sad thing about the heavyweights right now is that next to nobody is prepared to fight Wladimir much less challenge him. Povetkin, IF he fights Wlad, will just get the shit smacked out of him.

The most interesting parts of a Wlad-Povetkin fight are:
    1. Is Wlad going to go for the early KO or is he going to go for punishment
    2. Can Povetkin take a punch from Wlad
    3. What role will Teddy Atlas play and how will he handle Povetkin getting destroyed

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Povetkin have a cold or just cold feet?

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    The sad thing about the heavyweights right now is that next to nobody is prepared to fight Wladimir much less challenge him. Povetkin, IF he fights Wlad, will just get the shit smacked out of him.

The most interesting parts of a Wlad-Povetkin fight are:
    1. Is Wlad going to go for the early KO or is he going to go for punishment
    2. Can Povetkin take a punch from Wlad
    3. What role will Teddy Atlas play and how will he handle Povetkin getting destroyed
    Listen, when Wlad beats Povetkin, I wouldn't get too down on him, I favor him against most heavy's not named Klitschko.

1. Wlad doesn't go for the early KO anymore, he'll stop him late.
    2. Povetkin can take a punch from Wlad, but not for a whole fight.
    3. Teddy knows he is the underdog here. He's hoping Povetkin makes it the full 12 and takes a couple early rounds. That's the best he can hope for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Povetkin seemed to feel ok when he helped Teddy with Keys to victory on FNF last Friday.

El Kabong Guest

Apparently Wlad's camp has already made contact with Sam Peter's people (according to boxingscene.com).

I think Povetkin has a solid amateur pedigree but he hasn't really pushed himself as a pro to test out his skills vs bigger, stronger, prime opponents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm pretty sure I saw Teddy wiping Povetkin's nose for him during the FNF segement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is not just the loss that Povetkin is afraid of, taking those jabs for 7-8 rounds from Wlad and than those left cross and right hooks is enough to make you woozy for weeks and ruin a fighter. Alex would be best if he got KO'd right away....
    PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
    The only Acceptable Gun Control Law: Always use two hands when firing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i am pretty sure Povetkin is better than the last 3 opponents Wladimir faced. i am predicting a decision win for Wlad with Povetkin winning a couple of rounds

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by badr_hari View Post
    i am pretty sure Povetkin is better than the last 3 opponents Wladimir faced. i am predicting a decision win for Wlad with Povetkin winning a couple of rounds
    I am not sure he is all that much better than Eddie Chambers and I kind of doubt he is better than Ruslan Chagaev, but old Rahman? He had best be better than that.

I just don't want any more excuses from Povetkin as to why he can't fight Wladimir or is not in top shape. They should have fought a year or two ago but Povetkin's injuries and Chicken Little's attention whore act have delayed this fight.

I really wouldn't mind Wlad-Sam Peter II, I think it would be a lot better than the first (one that I might add was huge for HBO's boxing ratings)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not sure he is all that much better than Eddie Chambers and I kind of doubt he is better than Ruslan Chagaev, but old Rahman? He had best be better than that.

I just don't want any more excuses from Povetkin as to why he can't fight Wladimir or is not in top shape. They should have fought a year or two ago but Povetkin's injuries and Chicken Little's attention whore act have delayed this fight.

I really wouldn't mind Wlad-Sam Peter II, I think it would be a lot better than the first (one that I might add was huge for HBO's boxing ratings)

He beat Eddie in a close fight, but i got the impression that he evolved alot since then, with Teddy, Povetkin started to slip/duck punches more and work the angles a lil bit, Eddie is a defensive boxer and Povetkin bacame a better inside fighter, which is the style that Wlad doesn't like. Chagaev was never that good, really, he didn't impress me against Ruiz, he sucked against Skelton and was losing to Drumond till the headbutt

if Peter comes in at 225 pounds, then i would like to see that match too

El Kabong Guest

He beat Eddie in a close fight, but i got the impression that he evolved alot since then, with Teddy, Povetkin started to slip/duck punches more and work the angles a lil bit, Eddie is a defensive boxer and Povetkin bacame a better inside fighter, which is the style that Wlad doesn't like. Chagaev was never that good, really, he didn't impress me against Ruiz, he sucked against Skelton and was losing to Drumond till the headbutt

Chagaev is tough, durable, not overwhelming in power or speed but a very difficult fighter to beat as his record shows.

I just have my doubts about what Povetkin can do in this fight give that his fights after Eddie Chambers are against the likes of: Taurus Sykes, Jason Estrada, Leo Nolan, Javier Mora. Where is the tall lanky fighter on that list? Where is the power puncher? Where is the boxer/puncher? I don't think Povetkin is ready, I don't think Teddy Atlas, Freddy Roach, Cus D'Mato, Angelo Dundee, and Eddie Futch could help out Povetkin in this fight....he's going to get CRUSHED, an example will be made of him because he too had called out Wladimir in an obnoxious manner long before the Diva set foot in the ring with a heavyweight.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chagaev is tough, durable, not overwhelming in power or speed but a very difficult fighter to beat as his record shows.

I just have my doubts about what Povetkin can do in this fight give that his fights after Eddie Chambers are against the likes of: Taurus Sykes, Jason Estrada, Leo Nolan, Javier Mora. Where is the tall lanky fighter on that list? Where is the power puncher? Where is the boxer/puncher? I don't think Povetkin is ready, I don't think Teddy Atlas, Freddy Roach, Cus D'Mato, Angelo Dundee, and Eddie Futch could help out Povetkin in this fight....he's going to get CRUSHED, an example will be made of him because he too had called out Wladimir in an obnoxious manner long before the Diva set foot in the ring with a heavyweight.
    Is there a heavyweight fighter more deserving of a title fight out there than Povetkin? Who else of the top ten heavyweights could beat Povetkin not named Klitschko?

El Kabong Guest

Right now I guess you have to figure everyone in the top 10 has a legit shot at him. I think he's a quality fighter I just think his record lacks quality opponents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...i never belive it when i hear people saying a fighter is scared of another. These guys are fighters, if they were scared they wouldn't have made it this far. What does he have to be afraid of. He could loose, get ko'ed, or god forbid seriously injured in the ring fighting anybody. Buster dougless should have been scared against tyson, donaire should have been scared of darchiniyan, bradley of witter there are all kinds of fights i can think of where i gave an opponet no or very little chance just to be shocked. I don't even really think mora was scared of taylor awhile back. A fighter being scared is like a lion scared to hunt. Anyhow that being said, i say povetkin get's stomped, teddy will be pissed and we will all move on....this is just another of the many games played in this sport. They all do it, some just catch shit for it some don't.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

El Kabong Guest

I've actually heard Povetkin was already in hard sparring right now and that's the reason he didn't attend the press conference.

I actually hope this is the case, its best for the division if Povetkin comes to win instead of to survive. I hope to God he gives a good account of himself, but history has shown that neither he nor his management wanted this fight so soon.

Thread Information