Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ggg 2023.

Retirement impending or is he just waiting around for Canelo 4?

Why not fight the other champions in your division?

Charlo, what on earth are you doing?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ggg 2023.

Golovkin got a fight in his native country to make and maybe one more defence where he can make some pocket money before taking on a real challenge like Charlo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should definitely take on munguia if he'd take it, as pretty easy win for some nice money, Golovkin has done enough and he's old, let him have his money making fun now.. taking on the hyped kazak could be a good idea for him too.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jiminy Christmas, people are still saying let him make meaningless money fights after all the crap fights he’s made? If anyone owes to make the right fights or retire it’s GGG

“We will never fight Jermall Charlo” was nearly 6 years ago FFS. GGG owes the fans
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 12-05-2022 at 03:24 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Jiminy Christmas, people are still saying let him make meaningless money fights after all the crap fights he’s made? If anyone owes to make the right fights or retire it’s GGG

“We will never fight Jermall Charlo” was nearly 6 years ago FFS. GGG owes the fans
    agree on most of that. I really don't get all this "make a bit of pocket money with some easy fights before retiring" nonsense.
    What the fuck is it? do we OWE these fighters a pension ? why should we pay to watch anything less than competitive ? they ain't charity cases and in any other walk of life people don't get Easy good paying little swansongs!
    nobody is gonna say to me "oh for your last year, ease off and we'll pay you some really good money!"
    and then when I say fans are mugs , I get fucking shouted down.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

agree on most of that. I really don't get all this "make a bit of pocket money with some easy fights before retiring" nonsense.
    What the fuck is it? do we OWE these fighters a pension ? why should we pay to watch anything less than competitive ? they ain't charity cases and in any other walk of life people don't get Easy good paying little swansongs!
    nobody is gonna say to me "oh for your last year, ease off and we'll pay you some really good money!"
    and then when I say fans are mugs , I get fucking shouted down.
    I could handle GGG choosing crap fights. I accepted that from him 9 years ago. I’m used to that. But with how things are he is a name so he gets different rules so he holds belts. If he wants to make MORE crap fights, fine. But be an honorable person and give up the belts. Or if you want to carry belts, fight top guys. This should not need to be said

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG has beaten the best around over 9 years. He was avoided long before by the bigger names. Yes, he stagnated waiting for Canelo and should have got the decision over him at least once but he still is one of the best fighters at Middleweight.

GGG will earn everything he fights for but having a contest in his home country should be on his list of things to do. Charlo is his biggest challenge and I do not think he will win it at this stage of his career.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gennady Golovkin vacates unified WBA and IBF middleweight world titles after refusing to face mandatory challengers as he is now ranked for possible Jermall Charlo fight

Gennady Golovkin has vacated his WBA and IBF middleweight world titles.

The two-time unified champion, 40, is now left beltless for the first time since his 2018 defeat to Canelo Alvarez in their rematch.

GGG initially unified the WBA, WBC and IBF world titles between 2012-2018 when he was the dominant force in the 160lbs division.

He then regained the WBA and IBF belts between 2019-2023 after being dethroned by Canelo.

In his last fight in September though, Golovkin stepped up to super-middleweight for a trilogy contest with the Mexican.

At his advanced age, GGG was no longer able to compete with the younger man and lost a comfortable unanimous decision.

As this was in the weight division above at 168lbs though, the Kazakh was able to hold on to his 160lbs belts.

In the aftermath of the loss, he was ordered by the IBF to defend against Brazilian mandatory challenger Esquiva Falcao.

The option was explored, but GGG ultimately opted to vacate.

He was then ordered by the WBA to defend against Cuban mandatory challenger Erislandy Lara.

Again, Golovkin decided to vacate.

It appears as though the legendary Kazakh is now looking simply for the biggest and most lucrative fight possible, hence his unwillingness to make mandatory defences.

Following the news that he’d vacated both belts, GGG became eligible to enter the rankings of the other sanctioning bodies.

The WBC have installed him instantly at their number one spot.

This could potentially put him in line for a fight with WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo, though Charlo himself has been inactive of late and not boxed since June 2021.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...-charlo-fight/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So staying 168 I suppose. Credit for a fighter old or new making a decision and not hanging onto empty tin to stall it out. Bad news is now we have to sit thru Danny Garcia v Lara. The Dollar General 160 rivalry we all needed. Now Charlo I have no idea. No details or particulars on why exactly the wbc lets him sit on his belt. He's literally the most inactive 'champion' holding that belt since it was created. Back in 1963 ffs. He and Golovkin either way works. Finally.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abel Sanchez: The trainer behind Gennady Golovkin's rise to greatness

Sanchez was born in Tijuana, Mexico, and moved over to the US with his mother and siblings when he was just five years of age.

Although he never really competed at a high level within fighting, he did have six amateur bouts, winning three, and had an amateur kickboxing record of 15-0. Sanchez got his first break from the owner of his local gym, Ben Lira, who let Sanchez help out in training some of his fighters at the time. That same Ben Lira is now Sanchez's assistant in the corner.

Sanchez originally made a life for himself in America as a building contractor, something which he says taught him the skills that he would later rely on as a boxing trainer.

The skills he was referring to were being able to manage personalities and characters and knowing how to manipulate someone's psyche in a positive and reactionary way.

Sanchez is of course famous for his affectionately named 'Big Bear Lake' gym in California, but it almost never existed. The self-confessed workaholic suffered a stress-related heart attack in 2001, and for the second time, walked away from boxing altogether. However in 2007, in part due to the impact of the financial crash upon the construction industry, Sanchez decided to complete the project he started and open the now famous training camp.
    The completion of the high-altitude gym would prove the catalyst for a great upturn in Sanchez's career.

Whilst he had already enjoyed relative success as a trainer, by helping Lupe Aquino become the super-welterweight champion in 1987, a request by Oscar De La Hoya's team to use his California gym took Sanchez's career to the next level.

A number of other high-profile fighters subsequently followed suit, including a certain Gennady Golovkin. Before pairing with Sanchez, Golovkin was more of a strategic counter-punching fighter, though he was ridiculously good at it. However, Sanchez encouraged the Kazakh fighter to adopt a traditional Mexican fighting style, which roughly translates as boxing your opponent's head off! It worked too, as Golovkin became one of the greatest knockout artists of all time.
    GGG's record at one point under Sanchez was 36 - 0, with 34 wins by KO and 23 consecutive knockouts.

Under Sanchez's tutelage, Golovkin destroyed the likes of Daniel Geale and Matthew Macklin inside three rounds and forced a white-towel stoppage from Kell Brook's team in 2017. Sanchez made Golovkin into an absolute fighting machine, with virtually no equal in the sport.

Sanchez's style as a trainer has been much discussed, and there have been as many insults as compliments thrown his way about his understanding of the sport - but his record speaks for itself. Sanchez believed that "boxing is a cerebral game", alluding to fighters like Mayweather, who make the fight play out the way they want by subtly manipulating movement and manufacturing opportunities to strike. When asked what his favourite thing about being a trainer was, Sanchez replied "watching them get their hand raised, to see them succeed, that's really my highlight". Sanchez has been victorious himself too, winning the Futch-Condon best trainer award in 2015, awarded by the boxing writers association of America.

"I think that a lot of coaches today, unfortunately, are not protected contractually. We are probably the most significant part of a fighter's team; yet at any time, on a whim, they [the fighters] can decide that they don't need us no more".

How pertinent the above quote from Sanchez seems now, after Golovkin's decision in 2019 to split from his long-time coach, with whom he'd enjoyed so much success. The split came just six weeks after Golovkin had signed a new $100million deal with DAZN - no prizes for connecting those dots. Sanchez said the former deal between the two saw him receive a 10% cut, which seems to be standard for a trainer in boxing. He clarified that after the new deal was made, he would have been receiving less than a fifth of what he previously enjoyed, an "insulting figure which my pride simply would not allow me to consider".
    After the split, Golovkin went on record to say the following: "This was not an easy decision for me, and it is not a reflection on Abel's professional abilities. He is a great trainer, a loyal trainer, and a Hall of Fame trainer."

That quote seems like the right tone on which to end this story - and whatever your thoughts on Sanchez's style, he is undoubtedly one of the most successful coaches of the modern era.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...3ab0f0cd&ei=66

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    So staying 168 I suppose. Credit for a fighter old or new making a decision and not hanging onto empty tin to stall it out. Bad news is now we have to sit thru Danny Garcia v Lara. The Dollar General 160 rivalry we all needed. Now Charlo I have no idea. No details or particulars on why exactly the wbc lets him sit on his belt. He's literally the most inactive 'champion' holding that belt since it was created. Back in 1963 ffs. He and Golovkin either way works. Finally.

Jermall who?? I didn't realize it had been that long since he last fought.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2022/11...or-inactivity/

Yeah... people start forgetting someone like that real fast.

That the WBC hasn't done anything yet is not surprising to me. I've always been of the opinion that the WBC is hands down the most corrupt, inept, useless alphabet org in all of boxing. And in a world of inept alphabet orgs... that's a pretty damning opinion.

On GGG I doubt he stays at 168. First venture to those pastures got him a predictable loss to a much bigger, younger Canelo (in what I always maintained was a useless fight). What's he gonna do at that weight? Fight Benavidez?
    Hardly.

GGG-Charlo makes sense, IF... Sulaiman and Co. get off their ass and prod Charlo into actually defending his damn title.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i read that erik morales said he understands ggg is taking a break from boxing for an indefinite period of time
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    i read that erik morales said he understands ggg is taking a break from boxing for an indefinite period of time
    I assumed GGG was fighting less often because of his age but probably training more often to stay in condition ready for the battles of boxing.

Thread Information