Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I can't see Holmes losing to Lennox- 12 or 15 rounder!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I can't see Holmes losing to Lennox- 12 or 15 rounder!

Do you see it? I don't see a scenario where Holmes loses to Lewis over 12 rounds, and if 15 rounds Lewis would be stopped by the 13th.

I don't see Lewis flooring Holmes or hitting him with a barrage of punches like he did Golota and Ruddock. I also don't see Lewis scoring with a barrage of punches like how he did against Holyfield, Mercer or Bruno.

I also don't see Lewis wearing Holmes down with shots like he did against Morrison and Grant.

I also don't see Lewis scoring a lucky, clean one punch shot like he did against Weaver and Rahman.

I don't see Holmes knocking Lewis out cleanly either.... but I see Lewis stopping in the 13th or 14th round if it went 15.

Wide UD for Holmes otherwise- in a 12 or 15 rounder.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I can't see Holmes losing to Lennox- 12 or 15 rounder!

its like a rap

add a beat and read it again
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Larry would take him out to the deep blue jamaican sea and sink his raft in about the 12th. Larry was too slick to get hit with more than one shot at a time and Larry was WAY FASTER THAN LEWIS. handspeed would win this fight for Larry but it would take a bit to chop down that big oak tree.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

one things for sure is that Bruno would be 6 up verses Larry going into the 7th

and an experienced Bruno would hold on down the stretch

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Larry could be a slow starter so you may be right I dont see frank winning all 6 but maybe 4 or the first 6, but Larry would snipe him with those sneaky overhand rights and pop him with that piston jab---Frank had his own jab from hell as well---could turn into a battle of the Jabs for the mid-rounds. I feel The Assassin pulls it out of his ass though late late like round 13 or 14. I see Bruno getting winded and hammered into submission on his feet.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went back and watched a bunch of prime Larry Holmes recently, and you really forget just how good his jab was. Everyone always lists him as the king of the HW jab but it's easy to forget just how great he was with it.

I can't see Lennox winning the inevitable battle of the jabs that would have happened had they fought.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Larry could be a slow starter so you may be right I dont see frank winning all 6 but maybe 4 or the first 6, but Larry would snipe him with those sneaky overhand rights and pop him with that piston jab---Frank had his own jab from hell as well---could turn into a battle of the Jabs for the mid-rounds. I feel The Assassin pulls it out of his ass though late late like round 13 or 14. I see Bruno getting winded and hammered into submission on his feet.
    Im just not sure Larry had the chin just to get any where near the double figure rounds

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I went back and watched a bunch of prime Larry Holmes recently, and you really forget just how good his jab was. Everyone always lists him as the king of the HW jab but it's easy to forget just how great he was with it.

I can't see Lennox winning the inevitable battle of the jabs that would have happened had they fought.
    Holmes was a sucker for the right hand though. Closer fight IMO. Can't call it.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

El Kabong Guest

Tale of the tape

Larry Holmes 6'3, 81" reach, prime weight 210-220

Lennox Lewis 6'5, 84" reach, prime weight 230-245

Both guys had a tendency to start slow, try to establish the jab. I think Larry's footwork was better, his movement was more fluid. Lennox was more powerful, and stronger. I think this is a pick'em fight which either ends in a Larry Holmes UD or a very late stoppage win for Lennox Lewis.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

With his jab, he parried off of it so many times. So many times I saw him make really good punchers miss, and miss badly. Miss badly cause you to become discouraged by wasting energy punching at air or his arms...

Lewis would have tired down the stretch. He would miss continually and Holmes would counter with three or four punches. Plus, Holmes was more accurate than Lewis was.

Holmes by a points UD in 12. If went to 15, I maintain that the fight may have been stopped in the corner in the 13th or 14th. No KO, just "no-mas"...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing that I really loved about Holmes' jab is that he could throw it going backwards better than anyone I've ever seen. And not just slowly backing away, he could be completely on his bicycle circling away and just fire a jab as hard and snappy as if he was shooting it coming forward. It's no wonder why he was champ so long.

I think Holmes' speed and fluidity would have troubled Lewis, who had a great jab himself but mostly fought guys who were 225+ and not nearly as mobile as a guy like Holmes or Ali.

It would have been an interesting fight to see, could have went either way I reckon.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lewis was intelligent and would use his height and reach advantage because he would know there is very little chance of him stopping Holmes.

This would force Holmes to engage and lead which is not what he prefers.
    This gives Lennox advantage to capitalise of Holmes making mistakes and trying to hurt Holmes with his right hands.

Holmes will have to take Lewis out of his comfort zone which he is able to do and win a close decision.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information