Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Happy Saint Georges Day

Happy Saint Georges day to fellow Saddonians, English or not. It is a typically English day, persisting it down and in a not so typical English way I am celebrating by not getting inebriated.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Happy Saint Georges Day

Me too but that's because it's my birthday. I'm waiting for a work phone call to happen then I'm off out for a piss-up. I'm going to end up in an Indian restaurant paying the staff to stay open and keep serving our table beer. They know me well, peace be upon them, they always politely carry me to my taxi. Happy St. George's Day everybody.

El Kabong Guest

What are typical traditions for St. George's Day? I'm interested because....well hell I love a reason to drink and celebrate.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    What are typical traditions for St. George's Day? I'm interested because....well hell I love a reason to drink and celebrate.
    Find a queue and join it, apologise when there is no need, watch Dot Cotton murder Jerusalem on Eastenders, go abroad find someone for whom English is not their first language and shout at them in English demanding a fryup and chips when the local cuisine is much tastier, invent the idea of international competitive sport and then spend years not doing very well at it, take ideas from other countries and reinvent them, establish seats of learning in science,literature,art and history and break free from conventional institutions like the church and aristocracy whilst simultaneously deeply entrenching a hieriacical class system, get pissed.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Find a queue and join it, apologise when there is no need, watch Dot Cotton murder Jerusalem on Eastenders, go abroad find someone for whom English is not their first language and shout at them in English demanding a fryup and chips when the local cuisine is much tastier, invent the idea of international competitive sport and then spend years not doing very well at it, take ideas from other countries and reinvent them, establish seats of learning in science,literature,art and history and break free from conventional institutions like the church and aristocracy whilst simultaneously deeply entrenching a hieriacical class system, get pissed.
    The bold and underlined part is all I'll need and do. You Brits are as self loathing as anyone else I've ever encountered. Certainly your history is not entirely great, but it's not all bad either....where's you're pride England? Britain?

"Next to the love of God, the love of country is the best preventive of crime" - George Henry Borrow

"He is not deserving of the name of Englishman who speaketh against the ale, that is, good ale." - George Henry Borrow

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Me too but that's because it's my birthday. I'm waiting for a work phone call to happen then I'm off out for a piss-up. I'm going to end up in an Indian restaurant paying the staff to stay open and keep serving our table beer. They know me well, peace be upon them, they always politely carry me to my taxi. Happy St. George's Day everybody.
    Happy birthday mate. Have a lovely meal and a good sup.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The bold and underlined part is all I'll need and do. You Brits are as self loathing as anyone else I've ever encountered. Certainly your history is not entirely great, but it's not all bad either....where's you're pride England? Britain?

"Next to the love of God, the love of country is the best preventive of crime" - George Henry Borrow

"He is not deserving of the name of Englishman who speaketh against the ale, that is, good ale." - George Henry Borrow
    I am entirely proud of being English. Today is not about Britain it is about England, birthplace of Shakespeare, this green and pleasant land in which multicultural tolerance and creativity in contemporary music and the arts has helped influence the world. Have a real ale or a decent pot of tea and raise your drinking implements to England. Cheers indeed.

El Kabong Guest

I am entirely proud of being English. Today is not about Britain it is about England, birthplace of Shakespeare, this green and pleasant land in which multicultural tolerance and creativity in contemporary music and the arts has helped influence the world. Have a real ale or a decent pot of tea and raise your drinking implements to England. Cheers indeed.
    Multicultural tolerance isn't something I am big on. It may come as a shock to people, but tolerance to me is not some noble gesture of understanding it's just being able to put up with someone else's bullshit (or what you perceive to be bullshit). I've noticed that certain people who promote this tolerance (at least in America) do so at the expense of the majority culture to the point where you can't say "Merry Christmas" without being viewed as some sort of hate monger. I love other cultures, I love learning about other cultures, but I expect respect for my own as well.

....but I digress. England is a wonderful nation that I wish to visit soon. A nation of great culture, spirit, and history. Would love to share a pint with my Saddoboxing friends across the pond some day! Cheers.

Some of the best experiences I've had have been at the dinner table of people from other cultures where I can learn, enjoy the cuisine and presence of my hosts and really emerse myself in the culture. I've shared a table with French, Iranians, Jews (for seder), Russians, Italians, Mexicans, Australians, and some English. I find that in life when you share a table with someone you share more than a meal, it is one of my more favorite things to do. I'm into history & I'm a foodie....so to leave a meal with a full mind as well as a full belly is heaven for me.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It must be St Georges day

The old dragon is at work and im here on the computer.

Yeah I know if the cave isnt clean when she gets back there'll be flames or ice.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish we could reclaim the day from racists who make it a day for whites only. I would love to celebrate my Englishness but do not want to because of the prats who have hijacked it for their own political agenda.

Also isn’t St George a patron saint for Greece, a former country of soviet union and turkey?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I wish we could reclaim the day from racists who make it a day for whites only. I would love to celebrate my Englishness but do not want to because of the prats who have hijacked it for their own political agenda.

Also isn’t St George a patron saint for Greece, a former country of soviet union and turkey?
    You should celebrate your Englishness, Black, White or Yellow @Master, and yes George is a patron saint of many other countries. The best way to remove the agenda of the far right is to educate them out of their ignorance and refuse to be intimidated by their stupid nonsense.

Thread Information