Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default legacy vs money

Time for real talk. Fans often talk about legacy, having heart etc and I know its easy to say from the comfort of our couch but reality is different especially in todays world.

These young fighters are not sitting at home, thinking about legacies. They are thinking of how they can make the most money while taking on the least resistance.

Truthfully, would u want to be andre berto or soto karass? Despite what happened last night, karass is still a fringe contender with a bunch of losses on his record, almost punch drunk, and hadn't made much money.

Berto may go through some hard times for now but at the end of the day, he's still a young millionaire with only 3 losses but most of all, he's still fairly healthy.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: legacy vs money

Berto will be broke in a minute, keep fighting, keep losing. Then he, too, will be punch drunk, broke and with a bunch of losses on his record. Soto-Karass, hopefully, will make a bit more money before he is done. For sometime he has been known for dodgy training habits. If he focuses for a minute he could make some change.
    You only fight for money. Once you've got money, like $65 million, like Larry Holmes, then worry about legacy. Before that, pick up money.
    The guy that trains you has an obligation to make you the best fighter possible. This may entail taking hard fights, or tough opponents (aren't always the same) early on so you are better later. Your manager has an obligation to make money for everybody involved.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Berto will be broke in a minute, keep fighting, keep losing. Then he, too, will be punch drunk, broke and with a bunch of losses on his record. Soto-Karass, hopefully, will make a bit more money before he is done. For sometime he has been known for dodgy training habits. If he focuses for a minute he could make some change.
    You only fight for money. Once you've got money, like $65 million, like Larry Holmes, then worry about legacy. Before that, pick up money.
    The guy that trains you has an obligation to make you the best fighter possible. This may entail taking hard fights, or tough opponents (aren't always the same) early on so you are better later. Your manager has an obligation to make money for everybody involved.

This

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Berto got a couple purses over a million and he can make over 150,000 for his next couple of fights for say Thurman, Lopez, Brooks or rematches of the losses. So I don't know why you think he'll be broke other than because he's a boxer, he very well could have bought a house and put a million in the bank.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a choice look at Zab vs GGG, Zab fought the best and got his ass kicked but at least he tried, I'd rather have that career instead of fighting Ishida just to cash checks, all always respect fighters that chase legacy instead of just doing the bum of the month club.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    It's a choice look at Zab vs GGG, Zab fought the best and got his ass kicked but at least he tried, I'd rather have that career instead of fighting Ishida just to cash checks, all always respect fighters that chase legacy instead of just doing the bum of the month club.
    That's a silly comparison.

Golovkin has only had 27 fights. Around the same time in Zab's career he was defending his title against the likes of novice Junior Witter. Once Zab had been demolished by Kostya it's only natural his career took a different path.

((Golovkin got $350,000 for the Macklin fight. Relative peanuts compared with many a lesser fighter out there))
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends on the individual fighter and on how bad he's struggling or if he's even struggling at all. There current situation should dictate there actions. Cuz the bottom line is pretty clear. The fighter can take his family out to eat, but he can't pay with legacy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Golovkin has only had 27 fights. Around the same time in Zab's career he was defending his title against the likes of novice Junior Witter. Once Zab had been demolished by Kostya it's only natural his career took a different path.

((Golovkin got $350,000 for the Macklin fight. Relative peanuts compared with many a lesser fighter out there))
    I was just thinking it must be weird to have been 30 and think Ouma at 160 is my best fight, I'm being idealistic but I think a lot of boxers would be disappointed in that, that's why it annoys me

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You call Soto Karass punch drunk? Guess you didn't hear Bertos interview He sounds a year away and two "money making Hbo headlines" away from perma Bowe-speak. Hopefully he doesn't blow that money and end up in some distant land losing on an obscure mma card just to pay the rent also.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Rice View Post

This
    @Jerry Rice - Considering how critical you have been of @Tam Seddon's one word reply to your post in another thread, you sure are lighting up the forum with your "This" contributions. So like you said to Tam, if you had nothing else to add, why post?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

I was just thinking it must be weird to have been 30 and think Ouma at 160 is my best fight, I'm being idealistic but I think a lot of boxers would be disappointed in that, that's why it annoys me
    Golovkin had over 350 amateur bouts and didn't have the "privilege" of coming from a nation that could offer him huge riches to turn pro with immediate guaranteed stardom.

I'm pretty sure he's not trying to annoy you on purpose.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whatever it is, GGG's bum tour must come to and end cuz it's getting old. I dont give a shit if he fights 5x a year cuz none of them had hopes anyways. People pumping him up as if he's the next Carlos Monzon and shit so it would be interesting to see him against somebody who can punch him back and hurt him.

History has shown that with sluggers like GGG, it's only a matter of time before they run into a versatile fighter and get outboxed.

Im more excited about Quillin..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Whatever it is, GGG's bum tour must come to and end cuz it's getting old. I dont give a shit if he fights 5x a year cuz none of them had hopes anyways. People pumping him up as if he's the next Carlos Monzon and shit so it would be interesting to see him against somebody who can punch him back and hurt him.

History has shown that with sluggers like GGG, it's only a matter of time before they run into a versatile fighter and get outboxed.

Im more excited about Quillin..
    This is truth

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Any fighter fighting primary for legacy should be barred from the sport.

If you are not fighting mainly for money, then you are in the wrong sport, and indeed probable have some kind of mental illness.

Anyone remember Alex Garcia? For those who do not know, he was basically a Journeyman Heavyweight from the early 90s, who went on a bit of a unbeaten run, and shot up the alphabet ratings. So he was offered a fight with then Champion Riddick Bowe, for 'Heavyweight' money.

Garcia honestly (stupidly) refused the offer, suggesting he was not ready to step up yet, and needed a few more fights...

A few fights later he is being flattened in a couple by 12 and 8 journeyman Mike Dixon.

This sport is hard enough, without making sure you get every penny you can out of it. A 'legacy' does not pay the bills...
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Show me the man who says he ain't fighting for money, and I'll show you a fool." Larry Holmes

"I don't fight for bragging rights I fight for cheques" Floyd Mayweather jr

"Fighters want to fight for titles, but not as much as we want to fight for MONEY." Roy Jones jr

"If I can make $2 million or $3 million dollars every time I step in the ring with Donald Duck. I can deal with that." Bernard Hopkins

"When you're fighting, you're fighting for one thing - money." Jack Dempsey

“Con dinero, baila el perro. You know what this means? For money the dog will dance. It is one of my favorite expressions.” Marco Antonio Barrera

"If the money's right, I'm happy to bust up the other side of his face... No problem." Lennox Lewis

"I didn't want to fight George Foreman [in 1991] because he was the same age I am now. I wanted to fight Tyson but my manager pointed out I'd get $22m to beat George first. I saw the sense in that." Evander Holyfield

I looked upon boxing purely as a business. As a means to an end. Getting the money. John Conteh

Any boxer who says he loves boxing is either a liar or a fool, I'm not looking for glory. I'm not looking for titles. I'm not looking for the hall of fame. I'm looking for money. I'm looking for readies. Chris Eubank

"Boxers are trying to get big money and make sure their futures are set. In this sport, you just never know." Juan Diaz

If they pay us fighters enough money to put our careers on the line, then we would have a lot more big fights. It’s a business, everyone’s in it to make money" Calvin Brock

"Boxing to me is purely financial. I made mistakes, and when you're younger you don't know no better and you're not getting the advice that people should be giving you. The bottom line is, you look at Roy Jones and Trinidad, they're coming back for the money. They don't need the money. I'm coming back for the money for real. I don't care about the titles. If I win another title, that's just more money for me." Iran Barklay
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-29-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Thread Information