Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: The question seems obvious

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best prospect in boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best prospect in boxing?

Who is it?

My personal favorite is Anthony Peterson. 135 pounder. Like his brother though, could definitely use the jab more. Good power, solid technique, fast enough, seems big for the weight. Chin's untested, needs to step up.

Lamont, 140, could jab more, chin's untested, needs to step up. Very smooth boxer.

Amir, 135, seems to come unstuck too easily if that makes sense, gets a bit wild. According to most, chin issues, didn't see the Limond fight so its hard to tell. Great speed, talent, good size for the weight. Seems to be beginning to step up although its hard to tell how much Earl had left.

Victor Ortiz, 140-147, strong puncher, good technique offensively, maybe a bit easy too hit, don't know much about his chin, patient smart fighter.

Gamboa, 130, talent that just jumps out at you, very fast, throws his punches with great skill. Seems almost overconfident but probably will tighten up as the competition gets better. Tiny, only about 5'4, can't see him fighting past 135. Least experienced far as pro goes, huge amateur experience.

I'm tired of providing the descriptions, no more typing for me, would just like to say I just threw Andre Ward in there for no real reason. He's not talentless but not sure about him. Berto I'm not sure about either but he's pretty highly thought of by a lot of people. And Roman Gonzalez is like 105 pounds so if you haven't heard of him you're probably not alone, he is 16-0 with 16 KO's though. Just pick one.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best prospect in boxing?

BTW it wouldn't surprise me if I've forgotten some obvious guy so let me know if you think its somebody not on the list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i believe amir khan is

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only thing with Khan, if his chin is really that questionable, and it might not be, is his defense good enough to make up for it. From what I've seen I don't think so but to be fair he does seem to be improving.

Ward with a vote, maybe I was right to put him up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say Andre Berto is a good prospect, unless people see him as being past that mark now

Jorge Linares IMO. Though he really can't be considered a prospect, he's not really talked about and low on even a more than casual fans radar.

And as you said Anthony Peterson, as well as his brother Lamont.

Adrian Diaconu also IMO, though he better get to stepping it up because of his age.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berto
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION
    I would say Andre Berto is a good prospect, unless people see him as being past that mark now

Jorge Linares IMO. Though he really can't be considered a prospect, he's not really talked about and low on even a more than casual fans radar.

Adrian Diaconu also IMO, though he better get to stepping it up because of his age.
    yeah I didn't include Linares cause he's got twenty something fights, and a major title. A year ago I would have included him. Didn't think about Diaconu, was supposed to have a title shot with Dawson but I guess that fell through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGION

yeah I didn't include Linares cause he's got twenty something fights, and a major title. A year ago I would have included him. Didn't think about Diaconu, was supposed to have a title shot with Dawson but I guess that fell through.
    I didn't notice till now you posted a list to vote on; but I voted Berto. Need to see the Peterson's a bit more this year and how much they step it up.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gamboa by far for me based on his performances and level of competition so early in his career, its amazing really. He is slated to fight Freddie Norwood now so well learn a lot more about him from that fight, cause Freddie is still a tough fight for anyone. If Gamboa wins immpressively his name will come up more and more. he has a real bright future.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the best boxing prospect is MIKE OLIVER his brawling boxing style is dam fun to watch only bad things is he dont pack alot of power & he is in a good weight class 122lbs. if he goes to 118lbs. with his southpaw style he can do a lot of damage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about John Duddy?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pros - Khan
    Ams - Frankie Gavin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kahn for me.. for raw boxing ability he's amazing...

John Duddy give me a break! he's just like another gatti- the fans will love him but will never be an elite fighter, will be in some classics mind you!
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    Pros - Khan
    Ams - Frankie Gavin
    Frankie gavin is lightweight isnt he?

Has he made the olympics?

A mate of mine seems to think theres no way he goes home without gold if he has made them and hes pretty sure he had but i been following a guy sadam ali who's a real star of the future and i can see them both in the finals
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I picked Lamont because he is very well-rounded and technically sound, I think he's the better of the Petersons. Tight defense and sharp offense.

Thread Information