Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is the WBSS a boon for boxing? Is it sustainable?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is the WBSS a boon for boxing? Is it sustainable?

Personally, I'm pretty excited about this "playoff style" format. Single elimination brackets, proper seeding, and a single eventual winner. Sort of keeps the division's top fighters in everyone's minds. So is this a boon for boxing? Is it something that's sustainable? What are the pros and cons as you see it?

I'm all for anything that will increase general interest in boxing. I would put the WBSS in the pluses column.... but there are plenty of other factors that need to be fixed 'cause right now they're in the minuses column. We've got the usual suspects..... lousy fight judging, rampant PED use, ridiculous rehydration after weigh-ins, "marinating" fights, and just plain ol' ducking. Overuse of PPV is also hurting the sport. It's gonna get to the point where the PPV bar will be set ridiculously low, if it isn't already.

But the WBSS format, if successful, should help generate renewed interest in boxing. Let's hope other divisions can follow suit.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is the WBSS a boon for boxing? Is it sustainable?

I think it's great and can only get better. The Cruiserweight tournament showed how perfect it could be, they were only really missing Lebedev.

Injuries are always going to be the biggest problem with tournaments, but if they can get quality alternates as replacements for such occasions then I don't think it would affect the overall tournament.

I have mentioned before that even tournaments for guys on the fringe of the rankings or to determined mandatory positions would be great. Sort of like the WBC are doing at 147 with Evander.

Those that don't enter will get a 'protected' stigma, unless they are taking tough fights during the tournament run time. For example Jose Carlos Ramirez was getting that shade, but I give him a pass for now as he is taking a tough fight in Orozco. We'll have to wait to see what Hooker does from here. The tournament also force those not entered to up their game.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it’s a great thing to boost certain guys into legit p4p fighters. Look at Usyk. He is now being seen as a top fighter in the sport. The winner of the bantam tournament will almost surely be up there too.

The main problem is that I just don’t see actual top fighters or cash cows (like Canelo) any reason to enter. They most likely will be able to make more not being in the tournament and have more options without being held down to specific fights.

There are obviously tons of problems with the sport. This tournament won’t fix boxing unfortunately. It will sure help boxing fans enjoy it more though.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good call powerpuncher on marquee fighters not wanting to participate. Like AJ for example, he can make more outside a WBSS tournament.

If the tournament style catches on tho and say the Ali trophy becomes synonymous alongside the lineal title say, those not entering would need to at least fight the tournament winner to gain some form of credibility.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I think it’s a great thing to boost certain guys into legit p4p fighters. Look at Usyk. He is now being seen as a top fighter in the sport. The winner of the bantam tournament will almost surely be up there too.

The main problem is that I just don’t see actual top fighters or cash cows (like Canelo) any reason to enter. They most likely will be able to make more not being in the tournament and have more options without being held down to specific fights.

There are obviously tons of problems with the sport. This tournament won’t fix boxing unfortunately. It will sure help boxing fans enjoy it more though.

I'll put a different spin on it.

There's no reason for a Canelo to enter a tournament because he's already making top dollar without having to take too many risks. For tournaments to work for everybody, you have to have boxers who aren't afraid to face anybody at any given time. In a tournament such as this there's no such thing as "marinating" or other similar, foolish nonsense. For fighters like Canelo, who can pick and choose at will, and whose fan base will forgive and forget no matter what, there's really no point in entering a tournament.

No.... the tournaments won't fix boxing. But it may slowly begin to create a certain mindset among fans, who may start to demand that the best face the best.

Now if we can only begin working with the rehydration problem.....

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly, things won't change over night, but if the majority of top guys are fighting each other, those on the outside will need to try and keep up or get in the mix.

Look at the sh-t Jose Carlos Ramirez was getting for avoiding Prograis and the 140 pound tourney, until his announced fight with Orozco. Hooker may find himself in the same boat if he doesn't attempt to keep up.

Now if they could only work on judging.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first series was brilliant, only let down by late injuries. They created what the supersix and Haymon's PBC attempted to do, it wasn't more popular with casual fans because it had no American fighters/promoters on board therefore no TV or exposure. This time it has Matchroom (Eddie Hearn) on board with the US TV.

Who cares whether or not the "stars" enter? If people are not interested in seeing the best fight the best they're never going to be boxing fans. Floyd fans, Pac fans, Canelo, AJ etc have a casual market which is GOOD for boxing not bad.

What does it matter if the guys who only buy Canelo fights don't know who Andrade or Saunders or Murata are? Why are those fans going to "save" boxing? "Save" it from what exactly?

There's more than enough boxing to go around to suit all tastes.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which is all fine and good. But if let's say a middleweight tournament was drawn up and a Canelo couldn't "be bothered" to enter, then he'd be the odd man out, with knowledgeable fans confirming what they already know (about Canelo), while Canelo fans would pooh-pooh that the tournament isn't really that important... that Canelo doesn't need the tournament. Yeah. Either way, boxing wins in the overall.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be fair, Canelo is facing GGG (the #1 guy in the division) again.

I think these tournaments with cause those on the outside to step up their game, it all builds to bigger fights (hopefully) and we get a better representation of the division.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's building from strength to strength.

Most of the top names secured again, managing to keep the sanctioning bodies at bay, doubling up the cards, the way Inoue opened up the tournament.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm starting to think the WBSS format could be the way forward, the best fighting the best is what every fight fan wants to see, no politics, no arguments over money etc etc.
    This Bantamweight one has got me watching a division I never really cared for and looks set to be the best one yet.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I'm starting to think the WBSS format could be the way forward, the best fighting the best is what every fight fan wants to see, no politics, no arguments over money etc etc.
    This Bantamweight one has got me watching a division I never really cared for and looks set to be the best one yet.
    Definitely a buzz right now. And we still have the best to come.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WBSS was fine but two top British fighters in a ring in bloody Saudi nuts.
    What happens with other finals were next the Shetland Islands really we need finals in for the like of Groves v Smith in the 02 for the fans.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    What happens with other finals were next the Shetland Islands really we need finals in for the like of Groves v Smith in the 02 for the fans.
    There's definitely areas they can improve. Fans missing out on that fight was a bit of a let down.

I'd like to see them have 3rd and 4th matched on the undercard of the final.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    There's definitely areas they can improve. Fans missing out on that fight was a bit of a let down.

I'd like to see them have 3rd and 4th matched on the undercard of the final.
    Good idea if they can afford it. The overall card would be a lot better.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information