Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: When running, should you hold your hands up in a fighting stance?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When running, should you hold your hands up in a fighting stance?

When running, should you hold your hands up in a fighting stance? I expiermented with this while ago (I didn't do it long enough to get a good workout), and it seems like it could really give you a workout. I got out of breath easier, and my shoulders and sides started to ache. Would you suggest doing this as a workout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When running, should you hold your hands up in a fighting stance?

never tried doing that b4, ima try it tomorrow. have a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you run push your shoulders back. Like your tring to hold a pencil between your shoulder blades. This will open up your lung compacity by moving your rip cage and making more room for them. If you hold your hands out like that you'll be off balanced . Try holding them up like that but throw little punchings kinda like little uppercutts , as you would move your arms with your body.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No you will run slower

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla
    No you will run slower
    That's not a bad thing, unless you are also practicing for track. If you can get to running fast with your hands up, imagine how fast you'll be when you run without your hands up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keeping your hands up actually helps develop your abs & obliques and shoulders of course - I do it all the time I run - I do it mostly for improved blood circulation - 30 seconds at a time and about every 3-5 minutes.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

run carrying a bar over your heads :

nothing wrong with pushing a few punches out while you run but I wouldn't say do it all the time, remember you are training your heart and your legs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    run carrying a bar over your heads :

nothing wrong with pushing a few punches out while you run but I wouldn't say do it all the time, remember you are training your heart and your legs.
    Yeah. I'd imagine if you punched while you ran all the time, you'd lose a lot of muscle mass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you have your hands up you will get less of a workout because your running slower you may even give up quicker, also the arm action is important if your doing sprints.

If you want to improve your ring work you can focus on footwork on the heavy bags, in sparring. Or get in the ring with friend and spar but dont land any blows just practice evading them and your game plan, then swap roles and now your cutting the ring down and getting them up against the ropes. You can also get in your boxing stance and practice you footwork using your imagination of fighting an opponent, this better than a running slowly as your using technique and an action you would preform in the ring,(no boxers run in a fight they dance) eg front foot stays forward, body turned so less of a target, on toes, widen your stance when you move so going left is left foot then right but is done so fast it is one fluid motion.

I use running as a means to improve endurance/heart LSD long slow distance, or to improve anaerobic endurance short distance and fast

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wouldnt u look a little weird running around in a fighting stance . Imagine running through a park like that lmao.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thread Information