Thread: Sweden becomes country with highest coronavirus death rate per capita

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sweden becomes country with highest coronavirus death rate per capita

Sweden has now overtaken the UK, Italy and Belgium to have the highest coronavirus per capita death rate in the world, throwing its decision to avoid a strict lockdown into further doubt.

But as its neighbours in Norway, Denmark, and Finland, who all put in place much tighter restrictions, have seen dramatically lower numbers of deaths over the past month, the strategy has also come under growing criticism.

Frodo Forland, Norway's state epidemiologist, last week complained that there had been almost no critical debate or media coverage of the high death rate in Sweden.

"It feels like you want to support your own government and strategy," he told the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper. "But Sweden is going against the whole world."

Lena Einhorn, a Swedish virologist and author, told the Daily Telegraph that she was frustrated that Tegnell and his team still refused to alter the country's strategy despite growing evidence of failure.

"They have made a decision and if they admit they have taken a bad decision that means taking responsibility for creating a bad situation," she said.

There were people posting here saying how Russia did such a great job from the start and had no infections. By closing their border. where are those people now? Russia is now the second worst impacted country in the world after the United States.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sweden becomes country with highest coronavirus death rate per capita

Rodrigues says Swedish schools aren't practicing strict physical distancing or hygiene measures
    Rodrigues works with a class of 22 preschoolers. She believes she's been exposed to the virus from her live-in fiance, who experienced the telltale symptoms and works in an airport, but she was still required to report to work when she alerted her boss she was living with a presumptive COVID-positive person.

Sweden's public health agency says people can continue going to work or school if they live with someone with the disease as long as they're not showing symptoms. The World Health Organization, meanwhile, has emphasized that asymptomatic people can and do spread the disease.

Rodrigues doesn't wear a mask because she worries she'd get fired for spreading fear. She said she can't even attempt to keep the little ones apart. "What's the point of them being there if they cannot play with each other?" she said. She's simply told to take the class outside as much as possible, where the risk of COVID-19 transmission is lower.

"I always wonder how many people will die because of me," she said.

Other parents in the Facebook group say their kids' schools follow uncomfortably light physical distancing and hygiene practices, like simply keeping a chair between (mask-less) students while eating but not in the classroom. School nurses have told multiple parents in the group taking further precautions is unnecessary because "all of us are going to get Covid19."

But Rodrigues and other experts believe that attitude is insufficient to safeguard people from the coronavirus.

"Each infected child infects two to three other children a week, who then infect their parents and grandparents," Jorn Klein, an associate Professor in Microbiology and Infection Prevention, at the University of South Eastern Norway, told Reuters. "From a pure infection prevention perspective, it does not make sense to keep the schools and kindergartens open."

In France, 70 new cases of the coronavirus were recently reported after the country opened some preschools and elementary schools, even with social distancing in place.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sweden becomes country with highest coronavirus death rate per capita

Damn Steve we have enough wuhan threads just use the ones we have

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were always going to have more initial cases and deaths than they would have had with a strict lockdown, that takes very little to grasp really. There is no point speculating as to whether they have taken the right approach until we can look at the long game. Barring a vaccine that becomes widely available in an incredibly short period of time all things considering, herd immunity is an outcome, not a strategy, and this seems to be lost on many. Only time will tell.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Sweden has now overtaken the UK, Italy and Belgium to have the highest coronavirus per capita death rate in the world, throwing its decision to avoid a strict lockdown into further doubt.

But as its neighbours in Norway, Denmark, and Finland, who all put in place much tighter restrictions, have seen dramatically lower numbers of deaths over the past month, the strategy has also come under growing criticism.

Frodo Forland, Norway's state epidemiologist, last week complained that there had been almost no critical debate or media coverage of the high death rate in Sweden.

"It feels like you want to support your own government and strategy," he told the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper. "But Sweden is going against the whole world."

Lena Einhorn, a Swedish virologist and author, told the Daily Telegraph that she was frustrated that Tegnell and his team still refused to alter the country's strategy despite growing evidence of failure.

"They have made a decision and if they admit they have taken a bad decision that means taking responsibility for creating a bad situation," she said.

There were people posting here saying how Russia did such a great job from the start and had no infections. By closing their border. where are those people now? Russia is now the second worst impacted country in the world after the United States.
    Uh Brock, is there a link that confirms this stat? Because Worldometers says different.
    Don’t get me wrong, I personally believe that the Swedish way of dealing this is at best a big gamble, but at worst, utter madness!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Uh Brock, is there a link that confirms this stat? Because Worldometers says different.
    Don’t get me wrong, I personally believe that the Swedish way of dealing this is at best a big gamble, but at worst, utter madness!
    Don’t pester brock for facts this is the closest he has got to end times let him enjoy it

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don’t pester brock for facts this is the closest he has got to end times let him enjoy it

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Google The Telegraph of today's date and my name if you care to get it from ME is Bob.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DELETE THIS THREAD

That's just my opinion. That's what the mods should do. We don't need to anymore COVID threads. No disrespect NoSavingByBell but cmon man, this is the 3rd thread you've started on COVID.

To be honest we only need one. The mods should just lump all COVID threads into one and be done. We have enough COVID threads.
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 05-20-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay with me. Cheers 🙂. Delete!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have been unable from my iPhone to do it. I will get to a laptop to try delete this thread

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But just for the record Danilson 3.0 it is only the second thread I started, not the third

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All very interesting, but where is the actual data?

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    All very interesting, but where is the actual data?
    In his head.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not disagree with the mortality rate, but by building up immunity in many, where are the millions of organ failures? Again do not get me wrong, I know it happens for some, but I am not making grand numerical claims here. Surely the Swedes would be in terrible trouble with people reporting lung and heart and kidney damage in huge numbers. Is that happening? Is this backed up by the data Nobel?

Thread Information